RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

I'll admit, it was this trailer that sold me on the game (I was coming into Fallout after I'd played BG1 and IWD so other than mixed reviews and the giant grey dude on the box, I didn't know much about PST at the time).

Was a bit thrown off when none of the game music was like the trailer music.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Yeah same here. That video was on the BG: Tales of the sword coast installer. When that video played, my jaw hit the floor, and I immediately went out and tried to pre-purchase the game. I didn't even know anything about it. But that was OK. I just HAD TO BUY THIS.

Super stoked for Torment, regardless of the combat mechanics (as long as it's fun and the encounter design is well done, though I'll admit, this quote: “Combat isn’t our primary focus” is our way of saying “if we had to fail at either dialogue/story/reactivity versus combat, then we will choose to fail at combat" is a bit disconcerting).

I would have preferred RTwP since honestly turn based doesn't make a ton of sense to me from a verisimilitude perspective. I'll never get past the imagery of someone quite sportingly standing where they are, picking their nose as a guy casually meanders up to him and gives him four consecutive clonks on the head. That said, turn-based hasn't stopped my enjoyment of Fallout, Temple of Elemental Evil, and Divinity.

Edited by Agiel
  • Like 2
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

I like it all.  Turn based, RTwP, RT.  Mostly its how its implemented that's important.

That said I like TB just because its easier to play a game and watch TV with. :)

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Obsidian should just remove combat from all their future games.

nah, Obsidian should just make reimaginings of Fallout: New Vegas - their (last?) best game

• Like 1
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

A turn-based isometric view Fallout: New Vegas would be the greatest thing IN TEH WORLD!

It's such a crazy idea, it just might work!

New Torment video. Looks SWEET! <3

Well I was hoping we'd see a Giant Green Walking guy like in the original Planescape: Torment (around 0:35).

Mind you, he didn't appear in Planescape: Torment the game, but you know eventually we'll get a game with a giant green walking guy that has Torment in its name. I want to believe!

After the first playthrough I thought that the giant might be the Siege Tower golem released from the confines of his tower, on viewing again however I just don't see it.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

New Torment video. Looks SWEET! <3

Well I was hoping we'd see a Giant Green Walking guy like in the original Planescape: Torment (around 0:35).

Mind you, he didn't appear in Planescape: Torment the game, but you know eventually we'll get a game with a giant green walking guy that has Torment in its name. I want to believe!

After the first playthrough I thought that the giant might be the Siege Tower golem released from the confines of his tower, on viewing again however I just don't see it.

What if that giant represents you, the player, looking down upon the world and the characters you're controlling?

Conspiracy-Keanu.jpg

• Like 4

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

They sucked in the IE games, too: I have no idea why anybody thinks differently. Best fights of the IE games? Dragon battles. Lich and other spellcaster battles. Other adventuring groups (that are difficult and varied). Other enemies that are difficult, but aren't really super annoying/cheesy (so not dimension-dooring/brain-draining/insta-AoE-paralyzing mindflayers, or stupid trolls most of the time, for example). Not so much fun? The umpteenth group of random demihumans who can't even hit any of your characters. Random, stupid groups of kobolds and goblins when you're like level >=10. Masses of shadows and shades and other garbage undead. They're boring and just a huge waste of time. getlost.gif

It's even worse when you don't even get experience for said trash mobs, things like the respawning shadows in IWD were good for getting that extra bit of xp needed to get your characters up a level if close, at least.

Having said that, while nobody likes trash mobs* and lock-and-key enemies like beholders/ 'flayers are deeply annoying if you don't have the 'key' (and, generally, trivially trivial if you do) you simply can't have every battle be against a dragon/ high level wizard/ party alternative either in an IE like game. They'd either simply become the new trash mob of, breach, backstab, lower resistance, silence, yawn, +5/6 weapons, chained instadeath chromatic orbs and all the other valid to cheesy tactics people use for the big set pieces or you'd have probably 1 battle per quest line. Which is fine for the PST spectrum of IE games, but not so much the IWD/ BG end.

*you'll just get a lot of dissent about what constitutes a trash mob and how much of a moving target it is, plus whether trash mobs are related to the rtwp/ tb dichotomy. By the end of Fallout 1/2 for example if you have a 'properly' developed character even enclave soldiers/ superdupermutants/ centaurs etc are trash mob to a sniper with a gauss gun/ turbo plasma rifle plus something cheesy likely extra moving out from cover every turn.

• Like 3

I dunno if it'll be any good, but it sounds promising.

• Like 2

Choice based? I did not know that. Was not even slightly interested before that, now I'm curious.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Choices seems to be the new buzz in the industry right now. But let's wait and see first, because oftentimes these games are still as linear as ever before.

• Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

i remember reading an article about a game that had the choices so well integrated to the story that you were not even aware you were making a choice. for most people the game seemed linear because they all waited for some sort of prompt to do anything (prompt that never came) and were awestruck to learn that others, who took the initiative without waiting for the game to tell them what to do in the various situations, had gone through a completelly different storyline

i cant remember the name of the game though

• Like 1

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Seems like it could turn into a spiritual successor to that game, Cryostasis: Sleep of Reason.

I missed this earlier

I'm curious about this but since my wife lost her cousin on the Kursk it's doubtful I will ever get a chance to check it out

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

harem ending-best ending

why settle for one girl if you can have them all?

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

i remember reading an article about a game that had the choices so well integrated to the story that you were not even aware you were making a choice. for most people the game seemed linear because they all waited for some sort of prompt to do anything (prompt that never came) and were awestruck to learn that others, who took the initiative without waiting for the game to tell them what to do in the various situations, had gone through a completelly different storyline

Thats how I felt about a lot of the Walking Dead.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Thats how I felt about a lot of the Walking Dead.

I would have thought the opposite with the Walking Dead, with people feeling they've made choices only to discover that after talking about the game with other people (or just replaying the game), it turns out they didn't do anything to change anything.

• Like 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G