RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Last post last time.

While working with Khronos on the new Vulkan API, Valve made a Vulkan driver for Intel graphics.  This is a very preliminary driver running an alpha version of the Vulkan API running on Linux, running DOTA2 on the Source 2 engine:

The driver will be open sourced by Valve.

1425588837IMG_20150305_101215.jpg

Since it will be open sourced there will be nothing stopping Intel, or anyone else for that matter, adapting the driver for Windows and Mac.  No doubt Nvidia and AMD will have Vulkan drivers too in the future.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Quick question and sorry if this info can be found in plain sight, however I was wondering if Pillars of Eternity will also be making the jump to Unity 5?  From links dated to October of last year, it seems like they were looking at the possibility, but weren't sure/  Has there been any update?

Wanted to check after the news from Wasteland 2.

Anything else about Source 2.......HL³?

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Yeah, then they can sell us a fix, heh. :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Nope. It was meant as a hedge against microsoft Apple-ising their windows store.

From what I've seen the current (well, November release) offerings are pretty rofl. Too expensive or too puny, there's no reason to buy except blind brand loyalty. They have no cost of entry beyond designing an all-in-one box, but also no standardisation and mass production advantages over something you can build yourself and especially over consoles. And I'd suspect the main market for them is those who do currently build their own boxes. Not many people will be gaming or building a new box with minimum spec such as i3/ R7 250x/ 4GB RAM, that wouldn't even play some released games let alone upcoming ones like TWitcher3.

Steam OS is a hedge against Microsoft I assume. The Steam machine as I understand it is supposed to be a 'console peasant' friendly PC. Part of that was supposed to be the standardized hardware that wouldn't confuse anyone with choice.

Both are hedges and part of the same strategy. The default PCs that people buy are and will (almost entirely) come with Windows pre installed, as most PCs do. The steam machines are important and part of the same strategy because Valve's problem is two fold- MS control the OS ('solved' by steamOS) of most PCs and most PC makers pre install said operating system on their PCs ('solved' by steam machines with steamOS pre installed). A steamOS only strategy relies entirely on people either building computers and installing steamOS themselves or installing parallel to/ over a windows install, both of which many people will simply not do.

As a strategy it's rather garbled though, and is neither one thing or the other. It's not a full on console strategy with standardised hardware that would reduce manufacturing costs but with the individual manufacturers selling pretty random configurations from rubbish to powerful but expensive; it isn't a strategy whereby they do loss leading hardware sales and it isn't one where they are likely to get mass adoption partly as a consequence of the other two factors meaning that their offerings will be expensive. At present it has almost all the disadvantages of the PC system with few of the advantages of a console system and some of the disadvantages of a console (I cannot imagine it would be easy if even possible to upgrade steam machines, for example)- basically it's an attempt to do things cheaply and have others do the work for what are likely to be minimal rewards.

Sadly, I can see brand loyalty being a sizeable factor.

Those a basically European prices, of course that means we'll be getting 'Rape & Pillage' prices.

As $ = € for valve.. So ~800€ for the cheaper Steam Machines.

Yeah, definitly gonna make my own :)

Fortune favors the bald.

As far as I can tell, it's only useful if a) you can't use a longer HDMI cable from your PC to the TV and b) don't own a good PC or don't want to buy one.

For me personally, I don't see a reason to buy a Steam Machine. Not now and not in the closer future. My rooms aren't that big and my PC can do everything better.

A Steam Machine could also be useful as a streaming device that is closer to your TV (so you don't have to use a long HDMI cable from PC to TV and instead stream to it from your PC)... but in such case you won't have to spend so many dollars on the extra hardware.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Right now I think I'm more interested in a Steam Link.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

An interview with Our Lord & Saviour himself

My man holding the microphone has got some serious statue skills.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Square Enix is doing an online survey.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/8L8WHJR

If you want to shape little bit their vision for gaming to the future feel free to put some of your ideas.

EDIT: original twitter post speaking about the survey:

https://twitter.com/FinalFantasy/status/574013714069778433

Edited by Mamoulian War

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

i was following all the fighting on youtube about "the order 1886" and i decided (since i have not and do not intend to buy a console) to watch a playthrough to see what the fuss was all about.

the greatest complaint about the game i ve heard was the length, but that is not actually the problem there. it's the bad management of the length that kills it. by making an estimate, the game to reach it's full potential as a story driven experience, needed 7 hours of neatly packed content (it could easily get a 8 or 9/10 in that case). unfortunatelly, the developers made a bit more than 4 hours of actual content and diluted it with about 2 hours of filler. by adding to that mixture all the hype, you get a HUGE let down as a result. it's not really about the length, or the quality of the gameplay, or the abysmal QTEs... it's that everyone can see the exorbitant amount of wasted potential; the game it could have been, the game it was advertized to be and in the end the game it did not become.

it is the classic situation when the developer has a rough diamond and instead of cutting and polishing it, he puts it asside and after 5 years of work he delivers a fake made of glass. and frankly, people are just fed up with that and decided its time to make an example out of someone

Edited by teknoman2

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Yeah, skylines looks good, only think turning me off from it is that I didnt see any elevation in game, no hills, no mountains, strange but maybe it is in but not just showed yet

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"