RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Serpent in the Staglands is out today, really excited about that one! Waiting impatiently for my kickstarter key.

I'm definitely curious about this game.  The biggest thing holding me back is that it's RTwP and Pillars completely wore me out on that style of combat.  Plus, I fear this game might be very combat heavy, like Pillars was, hopefully I'm wrong about that.  Anyway, I'm looking for plenty of feedback on it.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

i remember reading an article about a game that had the choices so well integrated to the story that you were not even aware you were making a choice. for most people the game seemed linear because they all waited for some sort of prompt to do anything (prompt that never came) and were awestruck to learn that others, who took the initiative without waiting for the game to tell them what to do in the various situations, had gone through a completelly different storyline

i cant remember the name of the game though

Deus Ex?

Wonder what their stats will be.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Don't think they can be played against a male team

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

jeebuz these games look worse and worse every year. that engine has to go

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Lengthy look at Armored Warfare, fresh out of Early Access. Guy playing it isn't very good but he is pretty chill and not very annoying, gives a pretty good look at the game.

Now that I've got a new computer incoming, this might actually be something I'll try whenever it comes out.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Lengthy look at Armored Warfare, fresh out of Early Access. Guy playing it isn't very good but he is pretty chill and not very annoying, gives a pretty good look at the game.

Now that I've got a new computer incoming, this might actually be something I'll try whenever it comes out.

I've enjoyed it so far. I'm bad at it though. Everyone else seems to have more patience than I have and I end up getting blown to pieces. It doesn't seem or feel buggy at all so far. The early access is well worth the price in my opinion.

Hate the living, love the dead.

About as boring as expected. Someone should make a third Crusader game.

• Like 1

The Nameless One has gotten a lot more aggressive, Homicidal Incarnation?

Edited by Nonek
  • Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

1279082592656.jpg

Headphones - check

Light switch (to turn off lights) - check

Extra pair of underwear - check

I'm ready for September.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

About as boring as expected. Someone should make a third Crusader game.

Those destruction physics tho

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Typical action game. Much ado about nothing. So you kill a bunch of people... how is this really different than Call of Duty? L0L In both, you kill a bunch of  fake digital  human characters. L0L

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXsE-Zwb_j4

Alltogether i'm in support of this, violence is more shocking and effective when used sparingly, something that most modern games seem to fail to grasp. However I disagree with his example of Spec Ops: The Line: For me the white phosphorus attack was not shocking simply because I had nothing to do with it, the game was playing itself, and I had no choice or input other than to agree with what it was doing and participating in the ride along. In essence the game turned into a movie, and simply lost the power of interaction, which is a games forte.

*SPOILERS FOR THE WITCHER SERIES BEGIN*

A far better method of creating truly conflicting scenes is when the character has a choice, must weigh up the good and the bad, and examine his own motivations and biases. For this i'd look to the Witcher series: Does one pursue Bernard Loredo and put an end to his cancerous existence, satisfying and perhaps a long term solution, for the man is clever, amoral and cunning enough to spread evil beyond his little trading town? Or does one save the Elven women whom he has trapped in a burning tower, save lives on the line now and play the hero, but let the villain slip away to commit more monstrosities?

The Wild Hunt is even more full of such choices, some of them truly gut wrenching and disturbing, it really pushes the envelope but always allows a choice and a consequence that is logical and usually hinted at in some fashion if one searches enough. The Bloody Baron for instance and his wife are an unhappy married couple, both trapped in a harmful and abusive relationship, a vicious circle of hatred and petty revenge informed by their deep knowledge of each other. They know how to torment and pull the strings of each others feelings, and there is nothing left in their relationship but that sick little dance they are playing and replaying. In the end i'm still not sure that my interference was positive or negative, only that to my character it felt right at the time.

*SPOILERS END*

This is what i'd look for if one is to deal with violence and mature themes in a game, an in depth examination from all sides, with realistic human characters and not the one note caricatures we see all too often provided for us. Archetypes whom do not actually live or affect the world, but merely serve to advance a plot and provide blatant, clumsy ego stroking rather than challenging viewpoints and providing self reflection.

Then again some times I just want to break bones and deliver high caliber justice with implements of mass destruction, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with such wanton virtual slaughter, at least it is self aware and honest.

Edited by Nonek
  • Like 2

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

In Spec Ops: The Line, you did have a choice.  You could have just died.  :p

I get the criticism over the white phosphorus, but I also appreciate what the developer was trying to do.  The game's narrative is all about travelling deeper into the heart of darkness, and forcing your hand there is a part of that.  If they let you be the good guy the whole way through, it doesn't have the same effect.

• Like 1

It's not really a binary choice, they could simply have made the decision more than two sided with another interesting alternative resolution, that also could have reinforced a Conrad like atmosphere. Forcing ones hand is fine, but in that case it's not me whom has made a decision, and I feel no guilt for what the game decides it wishes to do.

• Like 2

Tea for the teapot!

in the case of spec ops, you have no idea who you are bombing with the white phosphorous. you just mow down opposition like always, only to find later what it is you actually did. it's not the choice itself (and its not really much of a choice) but the feeling of "if only i knew" you get after the deed is done

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Actually, from what I recall, you can pretty clearly see on the radar that the civilians are illustrated differently on the radar: I recall figuring I was bombing civilians immediately because they were shown differently than the militants. The fact that the game forced you into every bad and evil decision without any chance for recourse up until that point probably tipped me off, too, though.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2015/06/01/xcom-2-announced-ign-first

Last week, 2K teased us with a cryptic website: AdventFuture.org. On it, a supposedly utopian near-future government called the Advent Administration offered a better life for citizens through genetic enhancement, while hackers subversively replaced text and images revealing that Advent isn’t as benevolent as it seems.

Today, IGN First officially announces that the game 2K hinted at is in fact Firaxis Games’ XCOM 2, a full sequel to 2012’s critically acclaimed XCOM: Enemy Unknown and a continuation of the now 20-year-old legendary turn-based tactical squad combat series, which will be available exclusively on PC this November. Watch the debut trailer above for a glimpse into a future where the aliens are in control of the Earth, and XCOM has gone underground to fight to overthrow their Advent government. This new guerrilla force will face more powerful enemies in unpredictable combat scenarios as they fight to turn the tables on a technologically superior enemy.

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 10

It's all cinematic, so not much to be taken away from the trailer other than that it seems the aliens have taken over Earth, or at least part of it.  Anyway, I'm down.  I also like the penguin and jaguar logos at the end, meaning a Linux version ported by Feral Interactive.   Hopefully day 1 this time around.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸