RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

I'd love to see XCOM 2 add the ability to stand, crouch, or go prone, regardless of cover, or lack there of.  

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I'm just going to hope for the adversaries to move around of their own will.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

It's all cinematic, so not much to be taken away from the trailer other than that it seems the aliens have taken over Earth, or at least part of it.  Anyway, I'm down.  I also like the penguin and jaguar logos at the end, meaning a Linux version ported by Feral Interactive.   Hopefully day 1 this time around.

Or that it's being ported to the Atari Jaguar by Penguin Books.

• Like 2

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Yeah, I saw that XCOM2 announcement, and I'm definitely excited. I really liked the first Firaxis XCOM, so I'm definitely up for this (though I'll admit to being annoyed they're going to have multi-player again.)

I am loving the twist, and it is like my dream of having a TB Syndicate mixed with XCOM universe... ahhhh

• Like 4
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Mighty Jingles and RitaGamer play Armored Warfare. Graphics alone blow WoT away and the gameplay seems much more well paced.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

I'll wait for an expansion or two and the community mod that will make XCOM 2 a good game. Winter Sale 2016 or Summer Sale 2017 I guess if they stick to the unfinished release November 2015.

• Like 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Just recieved a Kickstarter update from Larian, Mr Kirill Pokrovsky composer of all of the Larian games soundtracks and a truly talented individual, has passed away at the age of fifty. Commiserations to his friends and family.

I'm going to download his soundtrack from GOG and have a drink, sometimes life is just not bloody fair. Pardon my language.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGjKP1UuqQQ

Edited by Nonek
  • Like 5

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Oh man, Kirill was awesome, even if I STILL haven't gotten to play D:OS.  I'm gonna miss that crazy guy. 

Dr.-Who.gif

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 2

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Don't like the article. Like the direction they seem to be taking with the game, back to more tactical gameplay and away from the "enemies spawn. enemies run into cover. game continues" that was the previous game. But the article makes it sound as if moving away from that is amazing innovation *rolleyes*

• Like 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

XCOM 2 Art Director Greg Foertsch says the character models and textures shown in the cinematic trailer are the same ones we’ll see in-game (though here they have some post-processing effects on them), setting an extremely high bar for visual quality.

Am I the only one that wasn't exactly blown away by the visuals in the trailer?  Don't get me wrong, I didn't think the visuals looked bad, I think they looked fine, but at no point during the trailer did I think to myself "Oh my goodness, can they really render that in-game?"

Anyway, a lot of what is being touted in the article sounds good, but I'll believe it when I see it in (in-game) action.

Edit:

Don't like the article. Like the direction they seem to be taking with the game, back to more tactical gameplay and away from the "enemies spawn. enemies run into cover. game continues" that was the previous game. But the article makes it sound as if moving away from that is amazing innovation *rolleyes*

Yeah, the author of the article was practically sucking Firaxis' ****.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

So, with a new version of the Steam Client comes this:

You can request a refund for nearly any purchase on Steam—for any reason. Maybe your PC doesn't meet the hardware requirements; maybe you bought a game by mistake; maybe you played the title for an hour and just didn't like it.

It doesn't matter. Valve will, upon request via help.steampowered.com, issue a refund for any reason, if the request is made within fourteen days of purchase, and the title has been played for less than two hours. There are more details below, but even if you fall outside of the refund rules we've described, you can ask for a refund anyway and we’ll take a look.

You will be issued a full refund of your purchase within a week of approval. You will receive the refund in Steam Wallet funds or through the same payment method you used to make the purchase. If, for any reason, Steam is unable to issue a refund via your initial payment method, your Steam Wallet will be credited the full amount.

article-2535709-1A7D371000000578-703_964

• Like 3

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

such a pity about Kirill... that music of D:OS in the shelter plane i could just listen to all day long. all music in the game was great, but that one was the best for me

• Like 2

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

So, with a new version of the Steam Client comes this:

You can request a refund for nearly any purchase on Steam—for any reason. Maybe your PC doesn't meet the hardware requirements; maybe you bought a game by mistake; maybe you played the title for an hour and just didn't like it.

It doesn't matter. Valve will, upon request via help.steampowered.com, issue a refund for any reason, if the request is made within fourteen days of purchase, and the title has been played for less than two hours. There are more details below, but even if you fall outside of the refund rules we've described, you can ask for a refund anyway and we’ll take a look.

You will be issued a full refund of your purchase within a week of approval. You will receive the refund in Steam Wallet funds or through the same payment method you used to make the purchase. If, for any reason, Steam is unable to issue a refund via your initial payment method, your Steam Wallet will be credited the full amount.

article-2535709-1A7D371000000578-703_964

they feel the competition from gog galaxy

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Some brief DE Mankind Divided stuff..  GamesRadar - Deus Ex Boss Fights

For the most part, Deus Ex Human Revolution  was a great revival and a worthy continuation of a classic series. All except the boss fights, which were outsourced during production and annoyed fans by being forced action - you couldn't stealth or talk your way out. Director Jean-François Dugas has already confirmed you can completely ghost Deus Ex Mankind Divided, now he's spoken more about bosses, past and present.  

Talking in the new issue of Edge, the Deus Ex Mankind Divided  executive director is quite open about where Human Revolution went wrong. "We weren’t consistent on Human Revolution and we knew it. Production issues prevented us from doing [the boss fights] the way we wanted, so my take was, ‘You know what? We know we’re not consistent, we’re not going to pull it off how we’d like, but at least let’s make them entertaining and not frustrating.’ It’s just that we failed at the frustrating part of the equation [laughs]. Those who were more into combat thought the bosses were really interesting, and it was easy. But a lot of players were playing stealth... Oh my God, that was a slap in the face. We fixed it on the Director’s Cut to a certain degree, but because the cutscenes were already made, the bosses had to die, so we were still forcing you to do that.” 

According to Edge, it saw one boss encounter in the new game which was solved with negotiation. That apparently involved options such as "Justify, Patronise and Turn Tables" as they attempted to win over a character called Dr Talos Rucker. He's the leader of an activist group called the Augmented Rights Coalition, based in a location called Golem City - a ghetto for ostracised augmented humans following the fallout from the previous games. 

Dugas emphasises that this new layer of interaction finally adds the options fans expect from the Deus Ex experience, and that were missing from Human Revolution. “[This time,] we’re a game that you can play stealthily, or for combat; you can kill, or you can decide not to kill. You can sometimes avoid obstacles altogether, because there might be other opportunities to overcome these things,” he explains. “And we want to make sure our boss fights fully respect those rules from day one.”

• Like 3

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Just saw the news about Kirill on Twitter, this is a truly sad day. Aside from a great composer Kirill also seemed like a great and humble person.

I will always remember the Kickstarter concert:

Edited by marelooke
  • Like 2

Some brief DE Mankind Divided stuff..  GamesRadar - Deus Ex Boss Fights

For the most part, Deus Ex Human Revolution  was a great revival and a worthy continuation of a classic series. All except the boss fights, which were outsourced during production and annoyed fans by being forced action - you couldn't stealth or talk your way out. Director Jean-François Dugas has already confirmed you can completely ghost Deus Ex Mankind Divided, now he's spoken more about bosses, past and present.  

Talking in the new issue of Edge, the Deus Ex Mankind Divided  executive director is quite open about where Human Revolution went wrong. "We weren’t consistent on Human Revolution and we knew it. Production issues prevented us from doing [the boss fights] the way we wanted, so my take was, ‘You know what? We know we’re not consistent, we’re not going to pull it off how we’d like, but at least let’s make them entertaining and not frustrating.’ It’s just that we failed at the frustrating part of the equation [laughs]. Those who were more into combat thought the bosses were really interesting, and it was easy. But a lot of players were playing stealth... Oh my God, that was a slap in the face. We fixed it on the Director’s Cut to a certain degree, but because the cutscenes were already made, the bosses had to die, so we were still forcing you to do that.” 

According to Edge, it saw one boss encounter in the new game which was solved with negotiation. That apparently involved options such as "Justify, Patronise and Turn Tables" as they attempted to win over a character called Dr Talos Rucker. He's the leader of an activist group called the Augmented Rights Coalition, based in a location called Golem City - a ghetto for ostracised augmented humans following the fallout from the previous games. 

Dugas emphasises that this new layer of interaction finally adds the options fans expect from the Deus Ex experience, and that were missing from Human Revolution. “[This time,] we’re a game that you can play stealthily, or for combat; you can kill, or you can decide not to kill. You can sometimes avoid obstacles altogether, because there might be other opportunities to overcome these things,” he explains. “And we want to make sure our boss fights fully respect those rules from day one.”

As nice as the option to talk your way through is, I hope they don't roll diplomacy together with stealth, because well, diplomacy is not stealth. Ghosting a level and having the guy at the end grab your camera and force a conversation, no matter how peaceful the outcome, is no better than having an arbitrary boss fight at the end.

• Like 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G