RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Whoops, wrong thread for that.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

GamesRadar - Deus Ex Creator's Reaction to Mankind Divided Trailer

Deus Ex director Warren Spector is a bit concerned about the reveal trailer for Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. The video, which premiered along with the game's official debut earlier this month, introduces Adam Jensen's new occupation as a cyborg terrorist hunter, and shows off his expanded capacity for augmented asskicking - that last bit Specter wasn't so enthusiastic about.

"I thought the Mankind Divided trailer was pretty violence-o-rific, which bugged me a little," Spector said in a Reddit ask-me-anything thread. "I mean, [Deus Ex] was never about killing stuff. It was about picking your own playstyle, which MIGHT involve killing stuff.

"Given how well [Deus Ex: Human Revolution] did at the whole choice and consequence idea I'm hoping - and have confidence - the actual game will be a little more in the playstyle matters mold. In trailers, you just have to give people the most action-packed stuff you can, I assume. I'll definitely be playing Mankind Divided. Ask me then."

He later added that the Human Revolution team made a few decisions that differed from his own tastes. For instance, he doesn't see the point of "modular cover systems", and he thought the enemy AI made it too difficult to start sneaking around again after getting caught.

Spector's most recent game was Epic Mickey 2, which released in 2012. Disney shut down Junction Point Studios in 2013, and since then, Spector's helped to instruct a new generation of game creators as director of the Denius-Sams Gaming Academy at the University of Texas at Austin.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/playtonic/yooka-laylee-a-3d-platformer-rare-vival/

af60ee6f31bafedd3e9b6b3bea9f4bba_origina

Banjo-Kazooie creators making essentially a new Banjo-Kazooie game, just under a different name and just different enough to not get sued.

*A Wild Wallet Has Appeared*

Achievement Unlocked: You Are $15 Poorer!

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I rather dislike the character designs. Rare almost always has had character designs I like, so it's weird that I don't like them here. Best of luck to them, though - why do KS campaigns always have such low financial goals? There's no way PoE would've turned out to be anything more than an extremely barebones CRPG if it had only gotten its minimum funding, and there's no way this would turn out to be anything if this only got a measly 200k. And developing for consoles, too? I would expect 5 million to be the bare minimum for making a mostly full-fledged game...but hey, apparently other people know more about funding these things than I do.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

And developing for consoles, too? I would expect 5 million to be the bare minimum for making a mostly full-fledged game...but hey, apparently other people know more about funding these things than I do.

Shovel Knight released for PC/Mac/Linux/Wii U/3DS for a scant $300k, so it seems it's a lot cheaper than you think.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

"Shovel Knight is a 2014 2D side-scrolling platform game, developed and published by independent video game developer Yacht Club Games"

Enough said, I think.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

A lot of these Kickstarters seem to have private investment behind them e.g. Star Citizen, Underworld Ascendent, Divinity: Original Sin. Some of them have the budget for a game, but want a bigger game, e.g. Gianna Sisters: Twisted Dream, Defense Grid 2.

We ended up operating for five months without money or payments to the team here.

- Yacht Club Games

With a lot of Kickstarters you're basically expecting them to work for way under pay, but on the flip side of that they get royalties.

Edited by AwesomeOcelot

A lot of these Kickstarters seem to have private investment behind them e.g. Star Citizen, Underworld Descendent, Divinity: Original Sin. Some of them have the budget for a game, but want a bigger game, e.g. Gianna Sisters: Twisted Dream, Defense Grid 2.

We ended up operating for five months without money or payments to the team here.

- Yacht Club Games

With a lot of Kickstarters you're basically expecting them to work for way under pay, but on the flip side of that they get royalties.

The Unrest guys still had full time jobs besides making the game I believe. Their hope was to make enough on Unrest to only work part time for their next one.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Did he not see the trailer for Human Revolution?

Last time I checked, in spite of that everyone loved how relatively bloodless you could play that (to the point you were actually rewarded more for it).

Edited by Agiel
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

for anyone interested in games like Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon, a tech preview of Ground Branch came out yesterday: http://www.groundbranch.com/store/

the game will also be distributed through Steam, so you can buy into Early Access for 20 USD (not available at this time) or get all future dev builds for 50 USD (the Operator Edition, includes the final product when it becomes available - basically, their own Kickstarter)

you may recall this game because they held a Kickstarter campaign at the same time Sarellan did theirs (for Takedown), and Blackfoot's campaign failed. they have kept at it with just the two of them and a bunch of contractors, the result is the tech preview. if you're too lazy to download 1.5 GB just spend 40 minutes of your time on this video (NSFW):

Edited by sorophx
  • Like 2
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

I want a real police game. With police dogs and tactical shields and bomb defusal, drug hunt, hostage rescue from busses and whatever else. Why, just why nobody can give me what I want?

Ryse had a game mechanic which made you the centurion of a small group of roman soldiers. You were in the middle of them, deciding when to use shield up, when to throw the pilum, where to go, etc. I can see the same mechanic work very good in a riot scenario. Sure would probably be scripted as hell, but for a singleplayer game, why not? Then again, it could even work in multiplayer/coop, if every player commands a few police officers. The target is to push back rioters / circle them / get them into certain positions, etc.

Man, if nobody has done this in the next 5 years, I'll throw all my money out of the window and do it myself.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Ground Branch will have hostage rescue from planes ;) and it will be moddable, so you can start learning UE4 and eventually make your Police Mod for Ground Branch :D

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

I want a police game, but an actual police game, not a military shooter with blue uniforms instead of camo (though with the militarization of the police force in the US, I guess the lines are blurred).  I want a game where you investigate, follow procedures, seek warrants, set up stakeouts, and lethal force is a last resort.  Kicking down doors and pointing guns at people and telling them to put their hands up would only be a part of the game.

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

we need a kickstarter for a new Police Quest

• Like 2
Walsingham said:

Probably because it all came back to people how terrible they were:

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Isn't this the police game, which could at least partially cater to your wishes?

http://www.gog.com/game/door_kickers

Or you want just that kind of stuff in FPS?

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Isn't this the police game, which could at least partially cater to your wishes?

http://www.gog.com/game/door_kickers

Or you want just that kind of stuff in FPS?

FPS and with coop mode. tongue.png

/Edit:

I have finally updated my Brahmin Variant mod. Or let's say, I totally remade it. Now the healthy brahmin is much more detailed than ever before. Additionally, the horns on the brahmins are now kind of random. Some will have horns on both heads, some will have horns only on one head and some have no horns at all.

So yeah, can be grabbed on the Nexus:

newvegas_brahmin_thumb.jpg

For free!111

Probably going to throw out a texture update in the sooner future, but for now I must go to sleep...

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 4

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."