RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

looks like they took all the GTA V fan videos of people doing crazy stuff and made a game out of it...

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

looks like they took all the GTA V fan videos of people doing crazy stuff and made a game out of it...

Sure, but they made that game before GTA V.  Just Cause 2 was already all about doing completely ridiculous stunts and creating giant explosions that would make Michael Bay jealous.  This looks like more Just Cause 2, and I'm completely fine with that.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

He does have a point. Does he really need 1500+ words to get it across? Jeez.

I disagree, though. There are plenty of games that don't have violence (explicitly anyway, it may be in as an abstraction). He wants non-violent games in a genre -first and third person- that originally developed to depict and submerge the player in violence. And when he finds them, he glosses it over. It's a buyer's market and AAA titles are what buyers demand: CoD and Battlefield clones. I read that just ~15% of players finished Alien Isolation. Not enough shooting and gore, perhaps.

Then again, I'm an old school FPS fan, so what do I know...

I don't know if the Alien Isolation thing is because of a lack of shooting and gore. I think for a lot of non-hardcore gamers (and even some hardcore gamers), that game is really scary and that probably caused it. I think this because Frictional Games released their metric info that said only about 2% of players finished Amnesia: The Dark Descent and I believe Outlast had a similar number. Now Alien Isolation wasn't as scary as those games but it was still pretty tense and scary compared to most games that come out.

Just Cause 2 was already all about doing completely ridiculous stunts and creating giant explosions

oh, good thing I never bought it then, phew  :x

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

And it's on GoG too ;)

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

I disagree, though. There are plenty of games that don't have violence (explicitly anyway, it may be in as an abstraction). He wants non-violent games in a genre -first and third person- that originally developed to depict and submerge the player in violence. And when he finds them, he glosses it over. It's a buyer's market and AAA titles are what buyers demand: CoD and Battlefield clones. I read that just ~15% of players finished Alien Isolation. Not enough shooting and gore, perhaps.

I don't know if the Alien Isolation thing is because of a lack of shooting and gore. I think for a lot of non-hardcore gamers (and even some hardcore gamers), that game is really scary and that probably caused it. I think this because Frictional Games released their metric info that said only about 2% of players finished Amnesia: The Dark Descent and I believe Outlast had a similar number. Now Alien Isolation wasn't as scary as those games but it was still pretty tense and scary compared to most games that come out.

Yeah, maybe. I make no assumptions.

However, if it's because it's really scary, you have to ask yourself how verisimilar is the violence depicted in games. Because survivors of real world violence, not to mention near-death violent experiences are often scarred for life and commonly describe the experience as "terrifying". Messed up sleep for years after, PTSD, damaged social skills, etc are common, long-lasting sequels. Violent games are rarely scary. I mean, people play violent games to relax. Hmm.

Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Yeah, maybe. I make no assumptions.

However, if it's because it's really scary, you have to ask yourself how verisimilar is the violence depicted in games. Because survivors of real world violence, not to mention near-death violent experiences are often scarred for life and commonly describe the experience as "terrifying". Messed up sleep for years after, PTSD, damaged social skills, etc are common, long-lasting sequels. Violent games are rarely scary. I mean, people play violent games to relax. Hmm.

People watch horror movies and read horror books. I'm not sure if the goal is relaxation. Is the violence that characterizes games like Amnesia the same as other violent games? In both Outlast and Amnesia, you as the player cannot participate in the violence, only be victimized by it. Instead of seeking it out, the goal is to avoid violence whenever possible. It's essentially violence in a completely different light. A lot of games want the player to feel powerful, but here it's the opposite. Alien Isolation has a little less of that, considering you have a gun and some enemies you can kill, but all your weapons are essentially useless against the Alien itself so when he comes into play it essentially works the same. In fact, using your gun against other enemies is the quickest way to attract the Alien, so even against enemies you can kill, it's not the best course of action.

• Like 1

I finished both Amnesia and Outlast.

I played through roughly 99% of Amnesia...man, a while ago. Four years back, maybe? Then I reformatted for some reason or another, and forgot to keep my saves. I never saw the ending, as I couldn't make myself go through certain parts again.

I did play through and beat Penumbra rather recently, though, which is pretty similar.

Isn't this more appropriate for the "what are you playing thread"? :p

(edit) Also, I've heard news that they're finally, FINALLY fixing the durability bug for Dark Souls 2 on PC for the un-"remastered" version. Apparently, it wasn't a feature all this time after all, contrary to what they claimed at one point! Here's the grand total amount of money that I'm willing to spend on FromSoftware games in the future: $0

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I finished both Amnesia and Outlast.

I played through roughly 99% of Amnesia...man, a while ago. Four years back, maybe? Then I reformatted for some reason or another, and forgot to keep my saves. I never saw the ending, as I couldn't make myself go through certain parts again.

I did play through and beat Penumbra rather recently, though, which is pretty similar.

Isn't this more appropriate for the "what are you playing thread"? :p

(edit) Also, I've heard news that they're finally, FINALLY fixing the durability bug for Dark Souls 2 on PC for the un-"remastered" version. Apparently, it wasn't a feature all this time after all, contrary to what they claimed at one point! Here's the grand total amount of money that I'm willing to spend on FromSoftware games in the future: $0

If you beat Penumbra, you're ahead of the game. Thought Black Plague was scarier than Amnesia and Outlast combined, in part because I spent much more time searching for clues because the puzzles were much harder.

• Like 1

OMG OMG!!!

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/04/29/formula-fusion-racer-former-wipeout-developers-kickstarter/

WIPEOUT-LIKE KICKSTARTER!!!

THERE IS NOT ENOUGH CAPS IN THIS UNIVERSE TO EXPRESS MY FEELINGS RIGHT NOW!!!

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Wub wub wub *random electronic samples* build up... *break* drop that completely random bass with massive wobble. No thanks. I have a strong hatred for modern grime and dubstep, they weren't my favourite genres to begin with but now they seem to be dominated by talentless idiots. Can I get some structure? Maybe a little rhythm? Melody? I can't tell one track from the next. I'm sorry I'm not blind drunk and coked off my **** to enjoy this. Remember when Wipeout came out with awesome soundtracks, with songs like Fluke - "Atom Bomb"?

Heh, the codex claims to have found (or been tipped off to by a Pole, at least) the official editor for ToEE hidden inside its Polish patch, accessible by unzipping it into a new folder. Haven't actually run it since I don't have ToEE installed, but the editor is there at least.

Cue dozens of iterations of 'at least the game can get some Polish now!' puns in the codex thread, which are lame- though I guess they can have a good Krakow doing that now. Don't know who found it but I hope there's some Szeczin his future as a reward!

(One day I will find a use for combining a hearty kiwi "g'day" and "thanks" into a suitable Gdansk pun and be able to die satisfied, but today is not that day)

Edited by Zoraptor
  • Like 2

Wub wub wub *random electronic samples* build up... *break* drop that completely random bass with massive wobble. No thanks. I have a strong hatred for modern grime and dubstep, they weren't my favourite genres to begin with but now they seem to be dominated by talentless idiots. Can I get some structure? Maybe a little rhythm? Melody? I can't tell one track from the next. I'm sorry I'm not blind drunk and coked off my **** to enjoy this. Remember when Wipeout came out with awesome soundtracks, with songs like Fluke - "Atom Bomb"?

Agree with this, especially since the soundtracks were such a prolific part of the earlier Wipeouts.

Still, the game might be awesome, certainly looks promising to me. And hopefully one can replace the music if need be.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Heh, the codex claims to have found (or been tipped off to by a Pole, at least) the official editor for ToEE hidden inside its Polish patch, accessible by unzipping it into a new folder. Haven't actually run it since I don't have ToEE installed, but the editor is there at least.

Cue dozens of iterations of 'at least the game can get some Polish now!' puns in the codex thread, which are lame- though I guess they can have a good Krakow doing that now. Don't know who found it but I hope there's some Szeczin his future as a reward!

(One day I will find a use for combining a hearty kiwi "g'day" and "thanks" into a suitable Gdansk pun and be able to die satisfied, but today is not that day)

Arcanum remake in the ToEE engine, now that's a mod i'd pay for gladly.

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Arcanum remake in the ToEE engine, now that's a mod i'd pay for gladly.

I don't care what engine they use, I just want an Arcanum remake/sequel/prequel with combat that doesn't completely suck.

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Speaking of combat that doesn't suck, i'm still in two minds over the Sui Generis game "Exanima." It's just released on Steam early access and is also downloadable from Baremettle's website:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuwSKCahTWU

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Speaking of combat that doesn't suck, i'm still in two minds over the Sui Generis game "Exanima." It's just released on Steam early access and is also downloadable from Baremettle's website:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuwSKCahTWU

When you have a voulge, like at around the 4 minute mark, or any other weapon with a point at the end, for that matter, can you thrust with it?  Because all I saw was swinging.

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Yes that's one of my problems with the game, I also saw no shield use which would seem to be obligatory for a game modelling a fairly realistic combat system. And like Hurlshot points out I can't help but feel that combat with the mouse may feel a little floaty and imprecise, like the controls of QWOP to a lesser extent. I also saw no missile weapons, which should be viable. All of that being said however, it does look quite ambitious and innovative.

Edit: Though maybe the physics are modelled a touch too delicate.

Edited by Nonek

Tea for the teapot!

Yes that's one of my problems with the game, I also saw no shield use which would seem to be obligatory for a game modelling a fairly realistic combat system. And like Hurlshot points out I can't help but feel that combat with the mouse may feel a little floaty and imprecise, like the controls of QWOP to a lesser extent. I also saw no missile weapons, which should be viable. All of that being said however, it does look quite ambitious and innovative.

Edit: Though maybe the physics are modelled a touch too delicate.

Yeah and the swings look like a pair of drunks fighting, it would be great if you actually look proficient at some point. I mean, after a while you should figure out how to swing a sword without falling forward and getting cut.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif