What are you playing now: The New Thread

Amentep

I'm up to level 10 in Borderlands 3.  Not entirely sure how I feel about it yet.  Maybe it's just because it's been a while since I played it, but the beginning parts of BL2 seemed more interesting than what I've done so far.

Still addicting though.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Mount and blade Warband still. Really struggling because I made the mistaking of not building relationships with the nobles of the land on poor terms with their kings. It also doesn't help that there are precious few of them to start with.
With a lot of effort I managed to get one noble to join me, which has allowed me to take some stronger castles I would not have been able to take alone.

20 hours ago, ShadySands said:

I still need to play TW3 but I've been dragging my feet because the second game put me off the series pretty hard and I'veheard you have to play different characters at  some points in the game which is an instant turn off.

The parts where you

Spoiler

play as Ciri

are few, very short, and quite easy to get through.

Trying out some stuff, I've recently started Lorleia, Angels of Death, Max Payne, Mothergunship, and Telltale's Guardians of the Galaxy. Mostly I'm just spinning my wheels until AI: The Somnium Files releases tomorrow.

Lorelai's decent, but not as well reviewed as the previous two parts. Angels of Death is just okay, but that might be expected for an RPG Maker horror/death game title. Mothergunship might be getting too hard for me, having died a bunch of times on a single mission.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I am finally, hopefully done with dull near-identical forest squares in Baldur's Gate and entered the titular city. So, when you're hit by cutscene incompetence and get surrounded by a mixed horde of fighters, casters and demon summoners, you can:

a) observe which one is the most dangerous, what spells they open with and stuff, then reload and prepare with scrolls potions etc accordingly 

OR

b) reload and toss a fireball or three at the empty area next to the fog of war hiding the mobs. After all, you already know what they have to say.  

Not that I did not appreciate PoE series before, but ploughing through all this drudgery makes me appreciate it even more. 

Edited by bugarup
  • Like 1

I have rediscovered that I can write really long notes in Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire. Before I only wrote down locations I could not clear on the first attempt and was going to return later. I must say that this feature is amazing and I would love if more games had it (as I occasionally suspend my playthroughs and find it difficult to remember what and why I was doing).

Also completed the main part of the game (everything, excluding the expansions) with the last patch. I made few small mistakes (such as meeting governor Alvari only in the 3rd act), but nothing critical. Though, it was disappointing to find out that the Blackwood Hull, which was required to reach Ukaizo, was broken into five logs and spread out across the archipelago. But, I suppose, it made assembling the upgrade more rewarding.

22 hours ago, ShadySands said:

Weird but that happens to me sometimes when I write a post and then delete something. Not sure how to fix it.

Delete, or cut and paste? If the former, it may be a bug that needs reporting. If the latter, I think the forum software is pasting not just the text but things like background and typeface. You can get around that by pasting as plain text (ctrl+shift+v, no idea how to do it on phones).

Aside, I'm also missing the quote goto function. Didn't the first iteration of the new forum have it?

Edited by 213374U
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Like 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I don't remember exactly what I did this last time or most of time and also just in general. I think that I used backspace over a portion of selected text or delete on my phone. I'll try to pay more attention next time but that post was definitely posted via mobile.

Free games updated 3/4/21

I finally got around to playing DOS:EE. Some things I like better from DOS2, others not so much. The armor system in DOS2 vs saving throws in 1, for example, I'm not a fan. The conversation system involving several players seems more developed in DOS:EE, as well.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

EU4 game is funny in that I am so far behind technology wise due to insititutions not spreading very well as Russia.   Have had three pointless wars with the Ottomans where they swarm north with 100k troops, then eventually expend all their manpower and retreat as they suffer brutal attrition.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

15 minutes ago, melkathi said:

Isn't that pretty much every war with Russia?

Not true, sometimes I actually can go on the offensive.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Some of the boss fights in Borderlands 3 are ridiculously cheesy.  It says to do the quest you have to be a certain level, but then the boss itself ends up being like 4 levels above that.  So I finish the level, but end up having to grind until I level up multiple levels before I can tackle the boss.

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Checked up a few reviews for BL3. Not that I was going to install the Epic launcher anyway, just to satisfy my curiosity. Mechanically similar to BL2, but without the story and Handsome Jack as the main antagonist. The latter is going to be a tough act to follow in any case, Handsome Jack being my favourite villain in any game so far 😈

Oh, and buggy as hell was something people seemed to agree on.

So, still having a lot of fun playing Guild Wars 2. I finally managed to complete my first legendary weapon :woot:

My very own Quaggan in a bowl https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Shooshadoo

When not playing GW2, I have a go at the old EU III (I have IV too, but never really got into it). Cheated outrageously, editing the original saved game and gave Byzantium a larger starting pool of manpower, gold and spies. Spies in particular are helpful, causing Cyprus, Rhodos, Kreta and what's their name the islands east of Athens to defect from the despicable Venetians to me. Building up mercenary forces, naval superiority too, meant I could fight the Ottomans in Europe while their army was in eastern Anatolia fighting the Timurids (and cutting off their ability to reinforce their position in Greece). I've managed to change my technology to 'Western'. Trying to reach a point where I can also change unit types to 'Western'

Also trying out Monster Hunter World. I find it boring and uninteresting as a single player game, but the team missions with friends are fun :)

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

9 hours ago, the_dog_days said:

I had to reset a couple of passwords to get all my accounts to connect.

I remembered my Uplay password as I was resetting it. Same for Epic. I reset my Origin password but have an inkling I may have reset it to what it was.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

4 hours ago, Gorth said:

So, still having a lot of fun playing Guild Wars 2. I finally managed to complete my first legendary weapon :woot:

My very own Quaggan in a bowl https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Shooshadoo

That materials list is nuts! How long did it take you to gather all of that?

(a bit long, sorry)

I forgot how much hubby liked Borderlands. 6+ months was feeling too long for him ... since spare cash is not in short supply these days, I took my unused PS4-Slim, reset/wiped it, he made a ps4 account (which he would not have done for any other game in existence, I bet) and bought the game with it. We can check it out some and he can scratch his itch. I think he wanted me to get it too so we could co-op but plenty of cash or not, I'm not buying a 2nd copy AND two PSN+ subs (we dislike split-screen).

Anyway, I've watched hubby play the Siren class (she's a Siren, that's about it) and the mech-suit wearing class. I've played the pet-class guy and the Irish device-using guy. They're all around level 7-8. Here's my (numerous) observations:

---World areas may feel bigger but a lot of that is even more empty space, with edge to edge exploration still largely rewarded with skag piles and nothing much else. It feels a bit more cut-and-paste feeling and less visually charming for some reason. Can't put a finger on it really, just feels that way.
---Being able to fast travel to a FT station from anywhere is nice. Park a car close to where you are, FT back to the town/station, then FT back to car. Mostly solves the "not enough space" syndrome, especially in solo play.

---None of the new classes interest me much. You'll find a lot of the skills from the other games in altered/improved forms scattered across the new 4 Vault Hunters. It's not that the chrs are bad, but it's become generic feeling, these BL skill trees. Ho-hum. The pet-dude is at least fun if you like chrs. with combat pets.
---The humor is not as amusing to me personally. Falls flat most of the time.  That BL2 main writer that went off to write for Hulu is missed.

---Blues and purples fall like rain  and show up in vending machines with fair frequency (unlike in BL2,).  BL2 was originally far too stingy in this regard (I hear it greatly improved with that late-late stage edition/update), but in BL3 it feels overly generous.
---Shootin' and lootin' is fun for an hour or two at a time, but overall the game feels less interesting so far.  Not getting that one more level sensation/obsession. But to be fair, it took me a while to really get into BL2 as well, and in BL2 I didn't  enjoy the low-levels/early areas  as much either.

I don't know how I feel about the game yet. Or how far I'll go (I want to *finish* the game on PC). Maybe peek into the first planet.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Finally came back to beat the level boss on that monk planet in BL3.  Had to run around and grind up to Level 18 before being able to do so, even though the quest itself was labeled as a Level 13 quest (all the enemies except the boss were around that level).

I'm a bit disappointed in the loot drops so far.  Even the bosses seem to drop mostly green and blue equipment.