Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

Marketing Hook  

1195 members have voted

1. 1. Which game hook brought you to PE and interests you the most?

• Icewind Dale
    • Baldur's Gate
    • Planescape: Torment
    • Fallout 1 & 2
    • Neverwinter Nights (2)
    • Temple of Elemental Evil
    • Knights of the Old Republic (2)
    • Other or Multiple (if multiple, comment)
    • Arcanum

I never played much Icewind Dale. At its release, it was marketed as much more of a straight-forward dungeon hack than BG2 or Torment, and straight-forward dungeon hacks bore me, so I never bothered with it.

PS:T had one of the best computer game stories ever, if not the best, but was lacking combat-wise.

BG2 combined epicness with open-endedness, and with all the mods released for it is one of my most played games of all time. Nevertheless, plot holes, weak story threads and inconsistencies abounded, especially by the time of Throne of Bhaal. The subject of how they handled the Bhaalspawn storyline can be rant-inducing for me.

Give me the epicness and open-endedness of BG2 with the consistently well-written story of Torment and I will be a very happy Japanese killing machine.

I was going to try KoTOR2, but someone inadvertently spoiled me on the Exile's fate (SWTOR) so I just can't bring myself to do it.

Got ToEE from GOG, going to try that. I wanted to try FO:NV but see that it's a Steamworks thing, so..... meh.

The exile's fate was decided (in my opinion, changed) in the Revan novels, not KotOR 2, in order to bridge the gap between KotOR 2 and SWOTR. Both SWOTR and the Revan novels contradicted statements in KotOR 2 because George Lucas hates SW stories that aren't black and white, good and evil because he thinks his fans are idiots and thus believes that dumbing it down will make more sales.

Edited by themanclaw

I was going to try KoTOR2, but someone inadvertently spoiled me on the Exile's fate (SWTOR) so I just can't bring myself to do it.

Got ToEE from GOG, going to try that. I wanted to try FO:NV but see that it's a Steamworks thing, so..... meh.

The exile's fate was decided (in my opinion, changed) in the Revan novels, not KotOR 2, in order to bridge the gap between KotOR 2 and SWOTR. Both SWOTR and the Revan novels contradicted statements in KotOR 2 because George Lucas hates SW stories that aren't black and white, good and evil because he thinks his fans are idiots and thus believes that dumbing it down will make more sales.

Oh yes, of that I'm aware--but I get very attached to my character(s), so knowing subsequent "canon," I don't really want to invest... It sounded like a right mess. Geez, I hate major plot spoilers--I can't un-know these things! On the other hand, I had lost all respect for George Lucas a while ago, so that helped in my decision not to bother. *cough* (Sorry, Obsidian, but KotOR2 will remain unplayed... Unless I'm struck by selective amnesia.)

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

First and foremost : Planescape Torment. Probably the most daring, thought provoking RPG ever made. The most compelling storytelling, the most intricate characterization ever implemented in a RPG.

Then : Fallout 2

Finally : Arcanum

These are the three games that brought me to PE

I chose PST since that's the one they actually made. BG2 was 99% a BioWare game (of which a good chunk are at OverHaul not Obsidian...to my knowledge anyway).

But ultimately just to see a fan-funded, no major overhead but there own 2D+3D merger game with an infinity influenced combat/camera party style combat... hopefully with a more PST/BG2 like companion interaction and story complexity? Yeah... ultimately seeing Obsidian throw up something no kickstarter had me more interested then any past games. Though, looking at 'just' the Obsidian title games (aka, not PST/IWD since they where under Black Isle at the time)... I'm interested to see the no-publisher thing kick in. Often times they're schedule for what they where doing always seemed to heavily stifle things.

I mean look at KotOR 2. I Loved that game, really did but the ending just... cut off and went all story board on us. It's like it got forcibly booted out the door at the end and seeing thats just sad. I got high hopes for this... cautiously optimistic hopefuly, but still very hopeful either way. Really just want to play more RPG's in that vein.

Def Con: kills owls dead

I chose PST since that's the one they actually made. BG2 was 99% a BioWare game (of which a good chunk are at OverHaul not Obsidian...to my knowledge anyway).

From what I understand, Black Isle was actually one of the publishers for the BG series alongside* Interplay. That means they most likely did have some say in the execution of the product, but who knows to what extent. *I have absolutely no idea how this would work. So confusing.

For all the evils that we ascribe to publishers (games, books, music, whatever), we certainly wouldn't have seen so many of the great products that did manage to make it out to the public. I'm grateful to Black Isle/Interplay for publishing Baldur's Gate (despite the whole lawsuit mess that gave BG to Atari). I'm grateful to Hasbro for taking a huge risk on PS:T, a very experimental game at the time and even now.

Of course, times change and so do companies. The companies moved on to target other audiences, so we're moving on. :) Project Eternity elicits a sort of hope in me that's strong enough to overpower the supreme disappointment I experienced with DA:O. Fingers crossed.

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

i played and liked all of them despite the huge amount of flaws each had.

such as

totaly crappy combat system in arcanum,

BG didnt really have much on the choice department

PT was short

ToEE had no pathfinding for the characters and they coulld not find their way to the destination if it wasnt a straight line

both KOTORs had lots of companions that in the end were almost decorative since most of them you never needed to have with you

IWD was a dungeon crawler of endless combat, with barely any rpg elements except for stats

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

I like elements of all of them but it's memories of Planescape: Torment more than any other that get me excited for Project Eternity.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Voted for multiple; I'm mostly here because of the Baldur's Gate games. Even after all these years, those are still some of the best RPGs I've ever played. If the companions in PE can be half as nifty as the group in BG2 (and can initiate conversations a little more), I'll be very happy with this game. ^_^

I played Planescape: Torment quite a bit, though I never was able to get all that far. It definitely went both broader and deeper with characters than most other games I've played, though, so I'm looking forward to that kind of storytelling.

Voted for multiple; I'm mostly here because of the Baldur's Gate games. Even after all these years, those are still some of the best RPGs I've ever played. If the companions in PE can be half as nifty as the group in BG2 (and can initiate conversations a little more), I'll be very happy with this game. ^_^

I played Planescape: Torment quite a bit, though I never was able to get all that far. It definitely went both broader and deeper with characters than most other games I've played, though, so I'm looking forward to that kind of storytelling.

Nooo, have high expectations! The PE companions must be between Baldur's Gate and PS:T companions, if we can't have the latter. *severe nod* ;)

May I ask, what stopped you from going further in PS:T? UI, the cant, or something else? (Knowing barriers into a game with the exception of pure taste is interesting..)

All of the options, really, to some extent. Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale are overall my favourites of those -- although I am also extremely fond of Planescape: Torment, character creation is very important to me (it says quite a lot, for me, that Torment is one of my all-time favourite games even without complete ground-up character creation; it's just that awesome in other ways).

Mostly, though, it was the overall style of the earlier games in the list. There have been some newer RPGs that I've liked, certainly, but the isometric style is by far and away my favourite. I've been missing them (well, missing new ones, since it's not as if I stopped playing all of those) for years now.

knightofchaoss.jpg

Well, I've played most of those, but Baldur's Gate is the series that really hooked me, and that I've played the most. ToEE had amazing combat and IWD was just plain fun party adventuring. But I think that recapturing the feeling BG2 first gave me is what I really dream of a game doing, as impossible as it may be. It just had the perfect mix of all the things that make RPGs great.

Nooo, have high expectations! The PE companions must be between Baldur's Gate and PS:T companions, if we can't have the latter. *severe nod* ;)

May I ask, what stopped you from going further in PS:T? UI, the cant, or something else? (Knowing barriers into a game with the exception of pure taste is interesting..)

Heh. I can have all the expectations I want, but it's Obsidian's game. They'll do what they wish, and I hope I'll enjoy it. :biggrin:

As for what stopped me in PS:T, I think I got too far in the story without leveling up my characters enough. When I finally left Sigil, I was at a place - it's been too long, I'm not sure where it was - where everything was beating the tar out of me on a regular basis. Or maybe I just wasn't very good at the game. It's still sitting on my shelf, I should reread some stuff a friend sent me about how to play it on widescreen and give it another go.

Heh. I can have all the expectations I want, but it's Obsidian's game. They'll do what they wish, and I hope I'll enjoy it. :biggrin:

As for what stopped me in PS:T, I think I got too far in the story without leveling up my characters enough. When I finally left Sigil, I was at a place - it's been too long, I'm not sure where it was - where everything was beating the tar out of me on a regular basis. Or maybe I just wasn't very good at the game. It's still sitting on my shelf, I should reread some stuff a friend sent me about how to play it on widescreen and give it another go.

I recommend it, but of course my bias is obvious. There are quite a few technical guides online as well in terms of picking out stats and where to get xp, though the latter may be hard to avoid spoilers... GOG.com also has a good mod guide for PS:T (I linked it earlier in this thread somewhere).