Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

Marketing Hook  

1195 members have voted

1. 1. Which game hook brought you to PE and interests you the most?

• Icewind Dale
    • Baldur's Gate
    • Planescape: Torment
    • Fallout 1 & 2
    • Neverwinter Nights (2)
    • Temple of Elemental Evil
    • Knights of the Old Republic (2)
    • Other or Multiple (if multiple, comment)
    • Arcanum

Just about the only thing I wish Obsidian had that BioWare used to have, is Georg Zoeller. He was my favourite BioDev.

I believe he now works for UbiSoft Singapore.

Georg was awesome. I remember back before DA:O was released, on the old forums before BSN. I asked Georg both in a forum post and through PMs about certain combat mechanics and how they worked (calculations etc...), he would always give me very detailed answers. He provided examples as to how the game would calculate a given encounter and what the probabilities were for certain actions... I have never once seen any other BioWare dev give the kind of answers he would.

Not to mention he was very good at what he did.

Of course, BioWare in general has really gone off the deep end in terms of how they use to do things compared to now. I am not even excited for DA3. As long as BioWare continues to use their horrendous dialog system (auto dialog, terrible paraphrase system, overly cinematic conversations) and voiced PC, I will not purchase their games.

Back on topic though. I would say the combination of NWN and BG is what caught my eye. I had never played PST... just started my first play through two days ago and decided to give it a go because of this game.

The reason is that 4 out of 10 of my favourite games of all time, were created by Obsidian/Black Isle is that reason enough? :p

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Baldur's gate 1 & 2 for me. I remember watching a friend play #1 one day, after he finished the game he urged em to give it a go. after playing it for a day i gave it back to him- i told him i needed to buy this for myself as he wouldnt be getting it back. I had never been so engrossed in a game before, i litrally thought about it when i wasnt playing it, the story was so damn well grasping and i loved the characters. The second one was better though, and i actually only had a play through on it around 10 months ago. I havn't actually been excited about a game comign out for a long time.. i would say which game it was but i really can't remember as it was so logn ago and it really would pale in comparison to an infinity engine game. I used to dream of this for a long time, but gave up on the dreams thinkign it would never happen, a new infinity type game, with a new story to play through by the old black isle boys - <3

Am I the only one who finds it a bit weird that we have all these calls for making the combat more hardcore, when most peoples favorite IE game seems to be the one were it was actually impossible to die in combat and game balance was very questionable?

Edited by limaxophobiacq

Am I the only one who finds it a bit weird that we have all these calls for making the combat more hardcore, when most peoples favorite IE game seems to be the one were it was actually impossible to die in combat and game balance was very questionable?

These sorts of forum polls are always limited and are, to some extent, self-selecting samples. 300-whatever is a pretty tiny sample of the 30k+ people who've backed so far. ;)

Death isn't necessarily what people are thinking of in terms of combat difficulty/complexity--it would've been possible to impose a better combat system in PS:T, I imagine. As for unbalanced game, well... that's rather particular to PS:T and the protagonist's condition. Besides, enjoying PS:T tremendously as a favorite doesn't automatically negate the desire for stronger mechanics; it just becomes a relative evaluation.

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

I *really* love Planescape: Torment.

Undoubtedly PS was the game that impressed me the most in my entire life. I can still remember my despair with the many answers to "What can change the nature of a man?". This game marked my life.

And I got a tattoo with the Symbol of Torment. "Because the flesh * knows * that it suffers, even When the mind does not."

http://planescape.outshine.com/crap.planescape-torment.org/images/vinicius_tattoo.jpg

• Like 1

Where is the option for all of the above?

Grandiose statements, cryptic warnings, blind fanboyisim and an opinion that leaves no room for argument and will never be dissuaded. Welcome to the forums, you'll go far in this place my boy, you'll go far!

The people who are a part of the "Fallout Community" have been refined and distilled over time into glittering gems of hatred.

Where is the option for all of the above?

That'd be other/multi at this point. Unfortunately it's past whatever time limit for editing the OP/poll, otherwise I'd also add NV to Fallout. Oops.

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

Until relatively recently I'd never actually played any of the Infinity Engine games (and I still haven't finished any of them, though I'm closing in on PS:T). So that really wasn't that big of a factor in winning me over to the project, though I'm happy for those who are seeing a resurgence of the sub-genre they love (isometric RTWP RPGs).

So I'd have to say "multiple games" with the games in question being the likes of The Sith Lords, Neverwinter Nights 2, Alpha Protocol, and Fallout: New Vegas. Of those TSL gets the most credit, since it was what originally won me over as a fan of Obsidian - the other games simply ensured I stuck around through the company's trials.

Honestly, I'm just happy to see Obsidian branching off and making their own IP the way they want to.

"Understanding is a three-edged blade."

"Vivis sperandum: Where there is life, there is hope."

BG, PST, and IWD are the hooks, of course I do like features from many others (FO games including NV, NWN2, etc).

BG was just such a good fantasy RPG that would pave what I believe made a good RPG.

PST was so full of depth, and showed me that a good story could make a game over everything else.

IWD while more linear than the others had some of the most fun straight up dungeoneering.

Knight Drei of the Obsidian Order

Like others here, I don't feel there's a meaningful answer to this, for those who've played them all. BG brought me to PS:T, inasmuch as it preceded it. PS:T brought me to IWD, inasmuch as it preceded it. IWD brought me to NWN, inasmuch as it preceded it. What brings me here most significantly? PS:T's player character self-exploration. BG's world exploration. IWD's dungeon crawling. VTMB's and KotOR II's social and character interaction mechanics. New Vegas's humour.

And the hope that all these things can once again be realised, in a contemporary game.

As far as your list, I like the Black Isle d&d games, and the Fallout games.

These are my all-time favorite computer RPGs, and most of my favorite video games, so I'll skip the reasons.

You all know what you did right.

DO NOT WANT:

-bugs [this means you, Obsidian. New Vegas was released broken and is still semi-broken. Shame on you.]

-bugs [it bears repeating. this is why I am not giving to Kickstarter, otherwise you'd have at least $100 from me]

-levelling idiocy a la Oblivion [rats in Daedric armor, etc]

-grinding, whether in combat or in crafting [Oblivion & Skyrim, WoW]

-pulling [as in, the combat mechanics from Dragon Age 1, Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, etc. where the player can trick half of the enemies in a room or area into fighting, while the other half ignore the fight unrealistically]

-too many pop culture references, campy bits. A few good or obscure references are fine.

-DLC that lets you buy improvements in gear, as in real-world dollars for virtual armor, etc. That ruins the feel of the game.

-elements with bad tone or feel [the Romans in New Vegas, the cat-people and lizard people in Elder Scrolls, etc.]

-bugs, bugs, bugs

Edited by Parsifal

For me it was BG and NWN2

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

-elements with bad tone or feel [the Romans in New Vegas, the cat-people and lizard people in Elder Scrolls, etc.]

Really? I thought that Caesar's Legion was one of the more original and interesting ideas of New Vegas. And they weren't any hokier theme-wise than any of the original tribal gangs when it comes right down to it.

Edited by Nivenus

"Understanding is a three-edged blade."

"Vivis sperandum: Where there is life, there is hope."

Well, the game that got me sitting at attention with regard to Obsidian in general is, like many people, PS:T. As far as PE is concerned, though, I'd be lying if I say I didn't feel Arcanum vibes from it. And Arcanum vibes are intriguing, indeed.

Mostly, though, I just want to see what Obsidian can do without the hilarious tragicomedy of serial executive meddlings dogging their heels every step. It's been too long since the staff gets an original IP to work on again.

Sword Sharpener of the Obsidian Order

(will also handle pitchforks and other sharp things)

I'm curious, from the marketing angle, which game hook(s) really drew people in to Project Eternity and encouraged them to back the Kickstarter. Expectations shown in the forum can vary widely particularly from which game preference people have (e.g. co-op preference from IWD/NWN folks) or party NPC quality and quest branching.

Given the developer pedigree, both PS:T and BG hooks drew me in, but primarily PS:T. How about you?

I pledged primarily because Fallout: New Vegas and Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines are two of my all time favorite games, and various members of the team worked on these. Having read the description on the Kickstarter page, and based on my experience playing past Obsidian games, I'm confident it will be a fun and deep role playing experience with a detailed game world and interesting NPC and quests.

I also enjoyed Alpha Protocol, KOTOR 2 and NWN 2, but not quite as much as FNV and VTMB. Never had a chance to try Baldur's Gate or Icewind Dale and I've only played about 20 minutes of Planescape and Fallout 1.

Edited by IcyDeadPeople

KotOR 2 brought me here and made me back this project.

It's probably my favourite RPG of all time and it made me take a liking to Obsidian. I haven't played any other Obsidian games nor the (relatively) old Infinity Engine games (yet), but I've heard a lot of good things about them so I thought why the hell not back the project? :)

Batman: [intimidate] "Let her go".

Joker: [Failure] "Very poor choice of words."

I picked "Other or multiple" but it would be nice to be able to just check the boxes for several games in the poll.

Anyway, to elaborate on my choice -- Planescape: Torment, the Icewind Dale series, Arcanum, ToEE, NWN 2 (MotB) and Fallout: New Vegas (+ its DLC's and Sawyer's mod) all showed incredible talent in the various aspects of CRPG design and they are the main reasons I'm extremely excited about this project :yes:

Shadow Thief of the Obsidian Order

My Backloggery