Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

Marketing Hook  

1195 members have voted

1. 1. Which game hook brought you to PE and interests you the most?

• Icewind Dale
    • Baldur's Gate
    • Planescape: Torment
    • Fallout 1 & 2
    • Neverwinter Nights (2)
    • Temple of Elemental Evil
    • Knights of the Old Republic (2)
    • Other or Multiple (if multiple, comment)
    • Arcanum

Arcanum of Steamworks and Magick Obscura AND Planescape:Torment. When I finally got my hands on P:T I was blown away and like next devoted fan of this gem I can longbreathed on and on about it, so why I am not placing it on a first place at the beginning of my post? Over the years after played P:T through and through, entire gameplay kinda shrunken for me on focusing to get those three most important stats on value high enough so I get all the important pieces of dialogues available in time and collect all the free obtainable stat points from NPC to boost them even higher or in case of playing intelligent Fighter/ Thief to match required stats so I will not miss not a single story bit. And thats what well kinda driven me away after all those years actually. The fact that I must've calcuate the way I distribute stat points and hunting the bonus ones so I'll be able to get required dialogue content, was the only reason, as silly as it probably sounds. On the other hand Before You Rox Me, I must say that all this is the only single one flaw P:S have in my humble opnion (I can't care less about the way combat was in P:T, I had no problem with that). What will never ever cease to mesmerize is the level of detail which was poured into it, the way all those fantasy stereotypes was waved off and put aside, but except all those briliant texts, dialogues, descriptions bizzarness, unchained fantasy, story and characters, there is one thing that always no matter how many times I run the game again, strucks me with full power, is the way the entire mood and setting was perfectionized through the audio, there virtually is not just a single deaf place in P:T, while the soundtrack is astonishing as it is it's these other sound bits, from bar patrons mumblings, noise of Hive streets, creaking and squeaking of Alley, merchant's shoutings the way different things in Inventory sounds and so on and on. Ican't say I have ever encountered this level of autencity in any game ever, only in P:S. Yet from the long term overally number one despite all it's flaws is the Arcanum, which created so fantastically believable living and functioning world like no other I ever seen (since P:T) and by that time I was already fed up with all those still-the-same-elfs-and-dwarfs-and-whatnot, yet the Troika managed to pull such a twist on all these things that it was amazingly outstanding on its own. What was probably the strongest point in my opinion in Arcanum, was the way the entire world looked at first, unlike all those other worlds with some sort of grand scale war conflicts running around or some significant threat of some sort, Arcanum at first looked almost like a perfect and peaceful place to live in and to begin an unusual Verne-like adventure, Until you slowly got insight into many serious facts and depths of the world around not unlike those in everyday life, while still staying within the character and setting of the world AND keeping their lovely bits of humor here and there, I am sure I could go on a bi longer on all this, but I will rather stop in the best. Just one last thing if Project Eternity will turn out to become my dreamed out blend of the best portions of Arcanum and Planescape AND, which I deeply believe it will obtain in it's own special way, then my dream will really come true. Best of wishes to whole the creator team then!

Also forgive me the whole lenght of the post but these are things I just must had say out.

Edited by Ywerion
  • Like 1

"Have you ever spoken with the dead? Called to them from this side? Called them from their silent rest? Do you know what it is that they feel?

Pain. Pain, when torn into this wakefulness, this reminder of the chaos from which they had escaped. Pain of having to live! There will be no more pain. There will be... no more chaos."

Kerghan the Terrible,

first of the Necromancers,

voyager in the Lands of the Dead.

Arcanum of Steamworks and Magick Obscura AND Planescape:Torment. When I finally got my hands on P:T I was blown away and like next devoted fan of this gem I can longbreathed on and on about it, so why I am not placing it on a first place at the beginning of my post? Over the years after played P:T through and through, entire gameplay kinda shrunken for me on focusing to get those three most important stats on value high enough so I get all the important pieces of dialogues available in time and collect all the free obtainable stat points from NPC to boost them even higher or in case of playing intelligent Fighter/ Thief to match required stats so I will not miss not a single story bit. And thats what well kinda driven me away after all those years actually. The fact that I must've calcuate the way I distribute stat points and hunting the bonus ones so I'll be able to get required dialogue content, was the only reason, as silly as it probably sounds.

No, that's a legitimate concern--I think stat-based dialogic content, while it does make sense, needs to be tempered so the bulk of said content isn't locked behind only 1-2 stats. In PS:T, a true complete playthrough (because combat really takes the back seat) requires you to play a mage. I'd say that and the abrupt ending with no party member postscripts are the main weaknesses of PS:T. This is also why, I suspect, most people replay Baldur's Gate rather than PS:T...

P.S.: I highly, highly recommend the use of paragraph demarcation. ;)

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

I'm currently playing Fallout NV. It was while playing, that I recalled how much I enjoy the dialogue in Obsidian games; especially in 'Honest Hearts.' The other dialogue I loved was in MotB, between the two merchant devils in Thay before and after they'd tasked the Knight Captain with finding the fused souls. I'd reload their response upon being presented with one, many times. This didn't get me all nostalgic and trotting over to Obsidian however. I stumbled across the week old "Project Eternity" when I came here to find out how others were able to kill those deathclaws.

So, to actually answer the question, I'd have to say NWN II plus MotB; and KotOR II. I haven't played the other Fallout games, but based on NV, I've since bought the earlier ones in the series, and will start them when I've finished my current game.

Beyond a doubt, Planescape. As P:E is their own IP, I'm genuinely looking forward to seeing what these fellows can craft when the shackles of outside corporate restraint have been removed. Thrill us, shock us, make us cry, and offer us delightful dialogue and banter that has us chuckling or shaking our heads a day or two after experiencing it.

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/

I waited eagerly for Dragon Age, the "spiritual successor" to Baldur's Gate... and was disappointed. I never even bought DA2, since it was even further from what I was looking for in an RPG. I remember being in the Bioware forums, and the developers were so dismissive of so many of us, it was borderline derisive. I've always liked Obsidian games, with Fallout: New Vegas being the only one in recent years that I have thoroughly enjoyed. So when I heard they were making a game OF THEIR OWN, without anyone breathing down their necks and stifling them, I had to sign on. I didn't even read up on it.

• Like 3

"1 is 1"

Unfortunately I haven't played most of these games, but I do seem to own most of them. Hmm maybe I should get to playing them... The only games that I have really played of the games is Fallout 1 & 2 and they were excellent. But the main thing that brought me to the project was the fact that..... Actually I don't really know :facepalm:. I just hope it's great.

P.S: I just started Planescape:Torment so if they can make a story that draws me in like it does in the first few minutes... Then I will be very happy.

I waited eagerly for Dragon Age, the "spiritual successor" to Baldur's Gate... and was disappointed. I never even bought DA2, since it was even further from what I was looking for in an RPG. I remember being in the Bioware forums, and the developers were so dismissive of so many of us, it was borderline derisive.

My sentiments exactly.

This was quite difficult. I love all of these games, but my two favorites are PS:T and BG2. Despite my avatar there I chose BG2, my reasoning is that this game seems to be more in that vein, but I'm hoping really hard that they put in a lot of that PS:T flavor too!

I am as well!

Baldur's gate I and II. Fallout 1 and 2. Arcanum. Those games are games that defined my childhood and introduced me to RPGs and DnDs in the first place. I played my first DnD game after playing Baldur's Gate 2 for the third time (almost 5 years after the 2nd time). I told myself, "If these guys were involved in making those games, I am willing to pay money for a cRPG that they come out with." I haven't bought a game in over 5 years and PE is going to make me break that record - all because it's from the same guys who made BG2/Fallout and Arcanum. What I loved about BG was that it was immersive and HUGE. What I loved about Fallout and Arcanum was the idea that RPGs could be situated outside the played-out (at the time) medieval-type setting.

Edited by Hormalakh

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/  UPDATED 9/26/2014

My DXdiag:

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/2014/08/beta-begins-v257.html

Well this is awkward, been a fan of Obsidian (and Black Isle before them) since Baldur's Gate but have never been on these boards before... I feel ashamed :(

That said since I could only pick one game I picked Baldur's Gate 1 because that was the game that showed me how incredibly awesome RPG's can be and made RPG's my favorite game genre.

"How was I supposed to know it was that stone that held the dragons at bay... I mean it just stood there looking dull anyway"

Never played the first two Fallouts or Planecscape but

Arcanum and Baldur's Gate were enjoyable

You need to play Fallout 1&2 and Planescape! If you enjoyed BG and Arcanum you'll more then likely love those titles, they may be old but not many games can beat them in atmosphere, story and just plain awesomeness (That is true of most games in this poll though ^^ )

"How was I supposed to know it was that stone that held the dragons at bay... I mean it just stood there looking dull anyway"

Well, well, well... What a such simple poll to answer at first, but very difficult choise in fact.

I remember me finding a new Fallout Box in a supermarket back in 1998. I had never played a true "western" RPG back then (I enjoyed Tactical RPGs on MegaDrive/Genesis and Sega Saturn, but the only "western" game with some roleplay and tactics I played - and loved to play - was Cryo's Dune). So I gived it a try, it was the first game I owned on PC (I had a CPC late 80's so...), and I wasn't expecting much from Fallout. What wrong was I!!! Immersive, accurate, and a bit cynic. I discovered Fallout 2 then, and even if I find it a bit rough and crude (for dialogues, because I was a bit young), I really appreciate it. (Replaying years after gave me another game experience and I really enjoyed at its measure).

At the same time, Baldur's Gate series and Icewind Dale series were Blockbusters, and I have heard these games as "messiahs" for Heroic Fantasy western RPGs fans. I tought these games were "fallout-like" games, and when I said to my friends to test Fallout series, they all answered "No! It's an old game, and it's not Heroic Fantasy!" As a SciFi fan, I was a bit disappointed, and decided not to try BGs and IWDs at that time. It reminded the time of Warcraft: Of Orcs & Humans' release a year after Westwood's Dune 2. So I give a try to BG and IWD years after (shame on me!), after I played early MMOs.

Early 2000's I played some MMOs (like DAoC), and after I have discovered such whole new gaming experience, and after being tired of some whinning people met there, I was searching some RPGs with roleplay contents. That's then I replayed FO and FO2 and tried BGs and IWDs. I realized that I was missing, something I love: playing some games like reading a book, with possibilities to interact, to deceide and so much more... Then I tried Torment with some fears, I have heard it would be the right game I searched, but I was afraid to be disappointed. I was wrong another time! There are so much feelings when I remember each time I played it, that I can describe.

I missed too Troika's games release, but when I played them, the thinking of this kind of games (inside RPGs) is a part (a real genre), was growing inside me. It's similar to say: "Led Zeppelin or Guns n' Roses make some Rock, but it's more than Rock, some classify them as Hard Rock or Heavy Metal". Arcanum made me discover another kind of universe: Steampunk, and now it's one of my favorite theme in pen-and-paper RPG! (not necessairly with fantasy)

I enjoyed too SW:K and SW:K2 even I dislike SW franchise, thanks OE for make me appreciate this universe afterall, it wasn't easy lol!

I followed OE other projects year after year (from "Day One"), but a bit from darkness (I haven't signed up or posted in these forums -or fora - until PE). Like I said, I follow some projects (InXile and OE) a bit like a big fan music, their games mark some times of my life and all enjoy me. (Especially AP's enormous plot and possibility to have a "true New Vegas neutral ending" in FO:NV which made me hilarious because it was brilliant!)

So... what I have voted for? Torment because it is always on my mind, but it was difficult but other games always make me a little smile when I hear their names.

That choice was psychically painful. I went with Baldur's Gate as my connection is stronger there (it was my first played RPG after I got my own computer) but PST, Arcanum and Fallout 2 are really on the same level. Not to mention how much I enjoyed most of the others. Shame on you for making me feel this pain Ieo. You also made me do my first post on this forum :)

That choice was psychically painful. I went with Baldur's Gate as my connection is stronger there (it was my first played RPG after I got my own computer) but PST, Arcanum and Fallout 2 are really on the same level. Not to mention how much I enjoyed most of the others. Shame on you for making me feel this pain Ieo. You also made me do my first post on this forum :)

Sorry! ;) And congratulations on your induction into the forums---hazing ritual complete? :p

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)