Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

Marketing Hook  

1195 members have voted

1. 1. Which game hook brought you to PE and interests you the most?

• Icewind Dale
    • Baldur's Gate
    • Planescape: Torment
    • Fallout 1 & 2
    • Neverwinter Nights (2)
    • Temple of Elemental Evil
    • Knights of the Old Republic (2)
    • Other or Multiple (if multiple, comment)
    • Arcanum

I chose Fallout 1 & 2 simply because I played those games to death, over and above anything else on that list. If I wanted to answer accurately, however, I'd select each option on that list because the hook that brought me to Project Eternity was the simple fact that this is an Obsidian project sans publisher shackles and deadlines, with all the awesome names attached who brought me so much cRPG gaming enjoyment in the last decade.

To be honest, I didn't really need a hook. They had me at my first glance of their Kickstarter page. ;) After so many years floating in roleplaying mediocrity with awesome AAA graphics, I'm so ready for Project Eternity! I'm starving!

Edited by Shadeling

I haven't played a single game on that list, PE will be my first isometric cRPG.

I admit--I'm impressed that someone would back PE without being part of the target audience (at all, turns out). I hope you will like it, if you indeed did back it.

You can also try the older isometric games available on GOG.com, the ones mentioned on the KS page. Or wait a little while for Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition to come out.

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

Project Eternity's actually inspired me to replay Baldurs Gate II. I was going to start with BG, but it was doing wonky things and didn't seem to want to install properly. So I jumped ahead to the sequel.

I've only just gotten out of Irenicus' dungeon, but already I'm reminded why I love these games.

April 2014 just can't arrive fast enough!

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

PS:T and KOTOR2 are no. 2 and 3 of my top 3 favourite games of all time, respectively, and I love BG/BG2 also.

Edited by Amyrantha

fwul38.jpg

"There's a bodybag out there with that scudball's name on it, and I'm doing up the zip. Anyone who gets in my way gets a napalm enema. "

- Lister

So far the games I've played are Icewind Dale, Planescape: Torment, Neverwinter Nights 2, Nights of the Old Republic 2 and Arcanum. But that's not why I pledged, I pledged because it's an RPG, because I think it will turn out well, I don't think it makes sense to contribute just because you enjoyed one of the games.

"Why don't you just jack off in a bottle of formaldehyde and call it our first born?" - Minatsuki "Hummingbird" Takami

Fallout for the black humor

Baldurs Gate for the grand adventure

Arcanum for what could have been and almost was epic

Planescape Torment for the A+++ on my english exam :biggrin:

And all of them combined for the storytelling!

Anything I say, do or write while drunk is declared null and void once the hangover starts!

Considering I found the project through a link at the Baldur's Gate: Enchanced Edition forum I'd say that's what brought me here. I've never played Planescape: Torment though.

Edited by Isobel

"I can play a pretty mean tune, but when I miss a note the flute shoots fire at everyone."

I'm a huge fan of all of these games except for Knights of the Old Republic (which I haven't played), but I was primarily drawn by the invocations of Planescape: Torment and Arcanum. Because of his work on the latter, I can not even begin to tell you how happy I was when I learned that Tim Cain was brought aboard for this project. It was inevitable that I would donate money to make this game a reality, but without his name attached I might not have been whipped into the sheer frothing excitement that drove me to give up $250 to the RPG gods (praise be to them!).

Planescape: Torment was the first thing that came to mind, but if it wasn't for Arcanum I don't think I could have approached older games in the first place. Not for lack of effort though, I'm sure I'll always fondly remember my character exploding when being bitten by a wolf in BG

BG1, IWD1 and PST. The strongest hook of all is probably the exploration part of BG1, I really hope they can expand on this in PE and make traveling into the wild an adventure in itself. All of them had great atmosphere and music. Wonderful games.

Planescape Torment and Arcanum were my favorites. I played them both multiple times and really loved them. So with my pledge I wanted to support another great game like these. I hope I did :)

"Was du nicht kennst, das, meinst du, soll nicht gelten? Du meinst, daß Phantasie nicht wirklich sei?

Aus ihr allein erwachsen künft'ge Welten: In dem, was wir erschaffen, sind wir frei."

- Michael Ende, Das Gauklermärchen

Baldur's Gate, Planescape:Torment, and the for-some-reason-missing Fallout:New Vegas. Granted it was first person, not isometric, but the writing was fantastic.

Yeah, I realized my poll omission earlier in the thread, but it was too late to change the poll by then (editing posts has a relatively short window). Just think of the Fallout button as covering all Fallouts. :sweat:

for me: PST>FO/Arc>IWD/KOTOR2>TOEE>NWN2 (got bored quick). Left out BG since it doesn't really belong to anyone in this team AFAIK. I'd put it somewhere in the middle anyways.

Obsidian wasn't directly involved in BG, no, but they were closely tied to Bioware back in the day and used their engine (and Black Isle published Baldur's Gate, so clearly not all publishers are/were evil :p).

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

Planescape Torment was the main reason i gave my pledge for this project. But my god, all their games are awesome. I think the best way would be to make a ode to all of their classic with this one.

2 atoms walk into a bar, the one says " I believe i have lost an electron!" the other says " Are you sure?" the first atom says " I'm positive! "

My all time favourites are both Baldurs Gate 1 & 2, but what really got me to pledge is that PE will be a Isometric Fixed RPG. I think we all miss these so much.

I never got to finish Planescape Torment due to I rented it at a Game Shop back in 1999. Bought it over at GOG a couple of weeks ago, installed all the recommended mods. I have started to play it and just loving it.

I voted for PST (with BG coming close second) and dislike Arcanum the most.

Maybe it's just me but I'm beginning to see some resemblance and elements from Arcanum in PE i.e. guns and the role of stamina in combat. Considering only 4.2% voted for Arcanum, is this the direction the game is taking? Chris Avellone also stated publicly he disliked traditional fantasy characters (pixies, elfs,orcs, dwarfs) in RPGs so I would be surprised if this game leans towards Arcanum.

I voted for PST (with BG coming close second) and dislike Arcanum the most.

Maybe it's just me but I'm beginning to see some resemblance and elements from Arcanum in PE i.e. guns and the role of stamina in combat. Considering only 4.2% voted for Arcanum, is this the direction the game is taking? Chris Avellone also stated publicly he disliked traditional fantasy characters (pixies, elfs,orcs, dwarfs) in RPGs so I would be surprised if this game leans towards Arcanum.

I never did play Arcanum. But from what I understand, that was a classic "technology vs. magic" setting, wasn't it? And steampunk?

The role of stamina/health in combat has a direct correlation with the lack of healing and resurrection magic, by the way. I wouldn't look at the mechanic in a vacuum like some people did with cooldowns ("omg cooldowns PE is gonna be an MMO!"). And from what we know about the PE world so far, guns are very new and used for a very specific purpose (anti-wizard, mostly); it has to do with the historical period and general setting archetype that Sawyer is interested in, not necessarily related Arcanum. Remember that the KS page specifically mentioned homage to the three big IE game franchises, not Arcanum.

I own and have played all the games listed, my favorites being Arcanum and Baldur's Gate II/ToB.

While I would have to say the appeal of Baldur's Gate and Arcanum are the biggest hooks for me, but the OUTSTANDING story and setting of Planescape: Torment could easily be seen as "at least" a big of hook as BG/Arcanum, as my personal preference is that PS:T had the best overall story than any of the games listed.

But seriously though, all those games rock.

Surprise to see more PST fans than I thought!

I hate to be Captain Obvious, but this is really the place on the Internet where Torment fans go...

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

im not very big into western role play games, i prefer to sit through hours of interesting character development than boring gameplay. though im all for art in its many forms and i understand that even though its not my favorite genre ill still support it whole heartily because i love gaming. i support a lot games well mostly due to its artistic direction. if the game looks beautiful im more likely to play it as it is visually stimulating. that is the problem i have with game like elder scrolls, its all about how realistic they can everything to look and not how beautiful they can get it to look, pretty much i wish it had a larger color pallet. im not saying that skyrim didn't have its moments of utter jaw-dropping beauty, i dont know what it is called but go to the highest mountain in skyrim and look up and around. i came into this project thinking about where its artistic direction is gonna go, even if i never play the game for long i will be very satisfied with my purchase if it is a good game with great artistic direction

ANIME!!!!!