Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

Marketing Hook  

1195 members have voted

1. 1. Which game hook brought you to PE and interests you the most?

• Icewind Dale
    • Baldur's Gate
    • Planescape: Torment
    • Fallout 1 & 2
    • Neverwinter Nights (2)
    • Temple of Elemental Evil
    • Knights of the Old Republic (2)
    • Other or Multiple (if multiple, comment)
    • Arcanum

From the intro music started with an homage to the Kuldahar theme, I knew I wanted to back it.

The atmosphere in IWD, created by its music, art, and cut scenes, combined with the mechanics of the Infinity Engine, is still my favourite DnD experience on a PC.

Sure, the story pales in comparision with Obsidians newer (and most older) efforts, but the *feel* of that game was immense.

I voted Baldur's Gate (mainly 2), but I think I might have played Fallout 2 even more.

I loved Baldur's Gate for the setting and the great companions, but Fallout 2 had this creepy athmoshere (Mark Morgans music was amazing), great tactical combat and my actions had more impact.

Never liked Planescape Torment. I hate being forced to play a predefined character, especially if it's a rotting corpse ugly as ****.

The whole setting was a bit too much of a freak show for me and while I like dialogs with interesting characters, I'm not really thrilled if absolutely everyone is trying to talk me to death.

NWN 1 was great (Deep class system and combat combined with best modding community ever), NWN 2 'could' have been good if Obsidian would be able to handle 3D camera perspectives.

Well Obsidian and 3D never really worked... Good news the game will be 2D.

Arcanum was runined by real time combat and IWD 1 & 2 lacked the companions of BG I & II.

I'm not really thrilled if absolutely everyone is trying to talk me to death.

In PS:T, just make your INT/WIS/CHA stats low and plenty of characters won't talk to you much. Granted, the setup works primarily if you don't bother trying to talk to everyone, too. :p The only problem with that is that the combat was kinda meh...

(Also, a general reminder that the "Fallout 1 & 2" poll option really should be just the Fallouts in general including NV, but I could no longer edit the poll.)

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

Planescape Torment is definitely the front runner in terms of general game tenor. But Obsidian/BIS/Troika has such a strong pedigree that one can't help but be excited by including elements from the Baldur's Gate Trilogy, Fallout, KOTOR 2, NWN2, MofB and Arcanum.

Torment.

I loved that game to bits and wore out the disks about 3 times. It hasnt been beaten as far as I am concerned.

IWD was actually better storywise than BG to me. BG was too "black and white" heroic and not "hardship" enough. Too "forgotten realms". Only real bonus was that I got to kill Drizzt. Ive hated him since day one.

"Politicians. Little tin gods on wheels". -Rudyard Kipling. A European Fallout timeline? Dont mind if I do!

Baldur's Gate, Planescape Torment, and Fallout 1/2/NV.

I don't want just an updated Infinity Engine game or Fallout clone, though. What I want is the kind of narrative complexity and choices found in Planescape and Fallout, in a tactical RPG that allows me to control a full party. Mechanically I expect P:E to be a new and modern version of the top-down/isometric party RPG.

I don't want it to just try to be an updated D&D game, but something designed specifically to work as a computer RPG focused on character, setting, and narrative.

For me the ideal combination would be the complex story of Planescape Torment, the epic scale of Baldur's Gate, and the tactical combat and dungeons of IceWind Dale.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” ― Robert E. Howard

:)

There's some good in all of these games. BGs and Fallouts gameplay, the exploration of a big, misterious world. PS:Ts story and dialogue, IWDs graphics (I still think IWD1 was the prettiest IE game) and dungeons and combat. Fallouts combat too, and the reactivity and freedom. That you could go become a boxer or *cough* "movie" star. And all of them had great atmosphere to boot.

And that's only half the list...

Absolutely Fallout 2 and P:T.

Combination of those two would be ideal for me.

"Go where the others have gone, to the tenebrous limit

for the golden fleece of void, your ultimate prize

go upright among those who are on their knees

among those turning their backs on and those fallen to dust"

Zbigniew Herbert, Message of Mr. Cogito

I'm just so happy that the guys who made all these games are working together on this one. It's like you couldn't possibly get a better group of people to do this. Every game mentioned has basically been "made" by these superstars.

• Like 2

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/  UPDATED 9/26/2014

My DXdiag:

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/2014/08/beta-begins-v257.html

• 1 year later...

Im gonna be an oddman out. Actually none of the crpgs brought me to PE because i could never get into crpgs as a teenager and early adulthood. I was more into final fantasys and dragon warriors and secret of mana growing up so i just couldnt get into them.

the game hook that brought me in to support PE isnt even listed and i wont even say it actually is a game hoo and that game would be fonv. The writing and the flow and the interaction and roleplay oppertunities impressed me so much to support a type of game i grew up not liking or getting into. I not only wanted to show my gratitude for what they did with fonv and to be part of something that would keep them going, but also a game that had the quality i found in fonv.

i have been huying the older games and been trying to get into them, while some had excellent stories, so far alot seems clunky now but thankfully i dunno ifbit counts but i have bee spending alot of hours in divinity original sins to get me this type of niche gaming and it boostes my confidence that i will enjoy not only the story and lore butbthe type of game it is as well.

• Like 1

Planescape: Torment, Arcanum and the Baldur's Gate saga are my favorite CRPGs, so of course they're a big part of why I'm interested in PoE. Besides, I make a point of buying every Obsidian and Bioware game, period. So far, I haven't regreted it.

I always had an interest in adventures and this topic influenced my whole life. So it´s not one or many games it´s the topic itself but yeah BG and IWD games for sure. It´s an iso RPG in an european (i think every RPG is) influenced medieval fantasy setting. And i always check out what studios do who worked previously on RPG´s especially someone who did NWN2.

• 3 weeks later...

Fallout 1 & 2 . 

I did not see any advertising/hype when i first came across PoE ( i had only discovered kickstarter that day ) All i saw was the name  Chris Avellone. Knowing that name from F2 ( the most enojyable game and dare i say a game that shaped me into the man i am today ) I happily donated to try and get this game into fruition.

I enjoyed BG1 aswell, but Fallout 1/2 is what made me a backer. Not to get confused with the newer fallout/s which i found very dissapointing, apart from the music ( I'm a grumpy young man living in the past )

In saying that any thought to a Fallout 3 based on Fallout 1/2 model?... *shrugs* Well, thought i'd ask :biggrin:

A big round of applause to all the  guys and gals at Obsidian, from what i have seen the game looks fantastic, and i relish the though of playing apon release.

Build a man a fire, and he will be warm for a day...

Set a man on fire and he will be warm the rest of his life...