Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

Marketing Hook  

1195 members have voted

1. 1. Which game hook brought you to PE and interests you the most?

• Icewind Dale
    • Baldur's Gate
    • Planescape: Torment
    • Fallout 1 & 2
    • Neverwinter Nights (2)
    • Temple of Elemental Evil
    • Knights of the Old Republic (2)
    • Other or Multiple (if multiple, comment)
    • Arcanum

I'm curious, from the marketing angle, which game hook(s) really drew people in to Project Eternity and encouraged them to back the Kickstarter. Expectations shown in the forum can vary widely particularly from which game preference people have (e.g. co-op preference from IWD/NWN folks) or party NPC quality and quest branching.

Given the developer pedigree, both PS:T and BG hooks drew me in, but primarily PS:T. How about you?

Edited by Ieo
  • Like 1

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

It's pretty much a tie for me between PST and BG2. I love the characterization in BG2, but I also really love the philosophical undertones of PST.

Me, summed up in less than 50 words:

PHP | cRPGs | Daft Punk | Dominion | WKUK | Marvel Comics | INTP | Python | Symphonic Metal | Breakfast Tacos | Phenomenology | Cards Against Humanity | Awkward Hugs | Scott Pilgrim | Voluntaryism | Dave Chappelle | Calvin and Hobbes | Coffee | Doctor Who | TI-BASIC | eBooks | Jeans | Fantasy Short Stories | Soccer | Mac 'N Cheese | Stargate | Hegel | White Mountains | SNES | Booty Swing | Avocado |

Fallout's probably my favorite game/series of the lot, but I'm not feeling the Fallout connection with PE as strongly as I am the Planescape one, so I'm gonna go with that one being what really drew me in.

Edited by LadySpace

I haven't earned an entertaining and meaningful signature yet. But I will. Oh yes, I will indeed.

I'm honestly here because of Neverwinter Nights 2. Literally speaking, my registration is less than 2 months after release. I was rather late to the Planescape: Torment and Fallout party and still haven't given Icewind Dale a complete playthrough, but it's the next game on my list, followed by Temple of Elemental Evil. I enjoyed Knights of the Old Republic 2 at its release enough to be very interested in Neverwinter Nights 2. And despite that game's flaws, it's what opened me up to being more fanboy than mere fan.

But what interests me the most? I'd say Planescape. I'm with the majority on that. Trying out unusual ideas and using themes well is what I ask for most.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I couldn't pick just one, and I think alot of people are like me and have played and greatly enjoyed all of them and then some.

My favorite description of the project is this

Project Eternity will take the central hero, memorable companions and the epic exploration of Baldur
  • Like 2

I couldn't pick just one, and I think alot of people are like me and have played and greatly enjoyed all of them and then some.

My favorite description of the project is this

Project Eternity will take the central hero, memorable companions and the epic exploration of Baldur
  • Like 1

It's a hybrid between IWD, BG2 and PS:T.

I loved the setting, the atmosphere the artwork and the music of PS:T. But probably the companions most of all.

I loved the sheer scope and scale of BG2, the variety (real or perceived) of areas and archetypes that you ran into.

I loved the set pieces, the encounter design and most of the things from PS:T sans the companions in IWD. Having to design your whole party felt a little "odd" at first, but it grows on you when you get used to it.

• Like 4

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I'm curious, from the marketing angle, which game hook(s) really drew people in to Project Eternity and encouraged them to back the Kickstarter. Expectations shown in the forum can vary widely particularly from which game preference people have (e.g. co-op preference from IWD/NWN folks) or party NPC quality and quest branching.

Given the developer pedigree, both PS:T and BG hooks drew me in, but primarily PS:T. How about you?

Great idea for a thread. I think it would help Obsidian a lot to see what brought us here, and what we want more of.

PS:T is where I saw the true genius behind these fine folks. KoTOR 2 comes in as my second favorite, and I remember actually buying an XBOX just to play that game. Both of these games taught me so much, and opened my mind to so many amazing ideas. I truly feel like I wouldn't be the person I am now had I not played those games.

Edited by Mystwalker

I'm surprised there isn't a 'all three IE games' option, but that's my case. And Arcanum was also mentioned on the video, so that's another plus.

Oops, forgot that one. Added, though people mention it in comments so that's good too. (And we can be sure the devs are reading the forum at least...) Hmm. I'm trying to remember if I actually played Arcanum---I suspect that's the one where I couldn't figure out something stupidly simple and kind of gave up. Like going to a different area on the map. :sweat:

Yes, Mystwalker, that was my intention. :) Nostalgia is incredibly powerful, but the range of games in the dev pedigree listed on Kickstarter is so very wide with different strengths, so people are going to have different expectations, especially for those who've already backed it.

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

Well, I've enjoyed every game on that list for one reason or another but the fact is I spent more time than I'd like to admit with NWN2 and the general implementation of D&D rules in Temple of Elemental Evil was fantastic. So primarily those two.

Beyond that, I really just want to see what Obsidian does without having to worry about publishers and the like. I've enjoyed almost every title they've put out but I've been waiting for something truly great. Maybe this will be it.

Why doesn't the poll support multiple options? KOTOR 2 has got no love in the current results, but I would've picked it if there was an option to pick multiple games.

(I mean literally, an option to pick multiple games, not the option "Multiple games")

• Like 4

Why doesn't the poll support multiple options? KOTOR 2 has got no love in the current results, but I would've picked it if there was an option to pick multiple games.

(I mean literally, an option to pick multiple games, not the option "Multiple games")

Sorry, I considered making it like that (and it's a little late to change it, I think), but typically people will have a real favorite and thus carry associated bias in terms of expectations and hopes for game development--an underlying and unspoken psychology is also that it's possible Obsidian won't be able to deliver the perfect trifecta of mechanics/breadth/depth, so taking into account one's bias, in what direction would you prefer the game to lean?

Some people have said that they liked ALL OF THEM, but that wasn't really answering the question and is more saying they love Obsidian, which is fine. The other/multi thing is taking into account that some people will also have a tie as to their absolute favorite in relation to supporting PE. And it's not like this is a pure numerical poll; discussion is of course encouraged. :p

Hey, people, I have no doubt more are streaming in now that more news is circulating. :) How'd you get here? Peer pressure? (lol)

I admit I'm pleased that with the tiny sample, PST is still leading. ;)