Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

Marketing Hook  

1195 members have voted

1. 1. Which game hook brought you to PE and interests you the most?

• Icewind Dale
    • Baldur's Gate
    • Planescape: Torment
    • Fallout 1 & 2
    • Neverwinter Nights (2)
    • Temple of Elemental Evil
    • Knights of the Old Republic (2)
    • Other or Multiple (if multiple, comment)
    • Arcanum

I'm not a big Torment fan, I don't like the Planescape setting and it was too wordy. I appreciate why other folks like it, just not my bag.

I was hooked by BG1 and BG2, and I loved the crunchy dungeoneering of IWD. I played pen and paper D&D* for years, started in 1979 and something about it just captured the magic of those days. Tactical party-based fantasy RPGs with cool NPCs are my favourite games.

So this is a no-brainer for me to get behind.

* And RuneQuest / Traveller / Arduin / Tunnels & Trolls.......

sonsofgygax.JPG

I know they have fresh ideas and are very traditional because of Fallout New Vegas which was a true Fallout. So for me, Fallout is in the first place, but followed by Planscape and Baldur's Gate and Arcanum which are games I see in Project Eternity the most.

Edited by Smejki

Planescape and Fallout 1&2 and NV (which you curiously omitted)were my favourites.

Oh what the heck. I didn't play the Fallout franchise--for some reason I thought NV was 2. :facepalm:

It's too late to change the poll, though. Uh, consider FO as the entire franchise, I guess... Sorry!

/FACEPALM

Edited by Ieo

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

Planescape and Fallout 1&2 and NV (which you curiously omitted)were my favourites.

Oh what the heck. I didn't play the Fallout franchise

Ban him. :ban:

joking

--for some reason I thought NV was 2. :facepalm:

It's too late to change the poll, though. Uh, consider FO as the entire franchise, I guess... Sorry!

/FACEPALM

Doesn't matter.

Edited by Bos_hybrid
cylon_basestar_eye.gif

Baldur's Gate!!! KOTOR2 and Fallout: NV. But mainly Baldur's gate. I enoiyed Dark Alliance, but would prefer something similar to the original.

I tried Planetscape: Torment and Fallout 1&2 on GOG but the controls were terrible. They were probably good games in their day, but computer game controls have since advanced down other paths of useability, and the controls of the old games don't feel intuitive anymore (where intuitive basically means the same as what is currently most common/known).

What actually brought me here the most and piqued my interest was not so much playing those classics of old like Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale and Fallout, but the lack of them, and more specifically seeing where RPGs seem to be going lately, particularly over at BioWare who used to make great games, but are lately stabbing their old fans in the back for the sake of pandering to mainstream audiences.

I was recently arguing on their forums about how much of a betrayal Dragon Age 2 was to fans of the original given that the reason Dragon Age was created was to be a return to BioWare's roots by making a proper, epic fantasy RPG for PC RPG fans and a spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate, and how they just immediately and deliberately abandoned these original concepts and that original vision only about a year after Origins came out with the horrible dumbed-down mess that was Dragon Age 2.

And then news of Project Eternity came to me via an article I read at CVG. It was good to see Obsidian were still willing to make proper RPGs and wanted to make a project like this in an era when every AAA release seems to be going for the same audience and trying to be the same damn type of game: the cinematic, story-driven action game. BioWare over the last few years have gone from my favourite developer to one I now despise. And I think with this project, Obsidian have now definitely taken the crown from them for me. And that's fine with me... BioWare no longer deserve it. Not when they care more about pandering to the mainstream and broadening appeal than they do about their old fanbase and when they sabotage and retool their own IPs into something damn near unrecognisable to do so.

image-163149-full.jpg?1348680770image-163154-full.jpg?1348681100
15327.jpg

I was a big fan of NWN so when NWN2 came out I played it and I really enjoyed it, I missed the Underdark but the story actually had better characters.

Fallout: New Vegas was outstanding, the ammount of content that game has, both from the developers and the community, you can basically play that game forever.

It reminds me why I was such a big fan of Neverwinter, the NWNVault, the CEP (community expansion pack) and the ability to create your own content with the Aurora Toolset, infite replayability.

I realized the talent when I played through the first two Fallout games many years ago. After that they only made games that I was not very interested in (I dislike D&D, I'm not fond of turn based combat and I much prefer first- or third person view in my games).

I never joined the Black Isle forum, but when they broke free and started Obsidian, I immediately joined. Not sure why, now that I think about it. Anyhow, many many years later they finally made a game that fit my preferences: Fallout: New Vegas. One of the best games I've played, top ten at least. It has everything I enjoy, but it was their first time making a truly open-world game in 3D and it shows. So I'm hanging around for Round 2, so to speak. Next game they will have more experience building worlds, and with their writing, ideas, scripting and everything else they do so well, I know it will be awesome. I HAVE HIGH HOPES FOR YOU, OBSIDIAN!

I used to really like Piranha Bytes, but after the Risen series I've kind of lost hope for them. Obsidian it is.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Every single game they mentioned would have been incentive for me to open my ears wider and listen to what they had to say. Its a really impressive roster of games they represent, all of them which I've played while growing up, beginning with Baldurs Gate 1 which I got when I was 13

minichart.png

Planescape: Torment hands down.

Big fan of Fallout 1&2, I was so disappointed by Bethesdas Fallout. Even knowing what kind of game it would be I was hoping for something else, and it was also way too easy to play.

Baldurs Gate, my first foray to a "real" RPGs. Really showing that a real RPG was a bit more than hack n' slash Diablo type gaming. :)

• Like 1

Um

Multiple. I've followed Black Isle and Obsidian for almost as long as I've played games and with the exception of Dark Alliance 2 I think I've played every games they've ever released. I'm a massive BIS/Obsidian fanboy and just the thought of them making a game made me throw money their way. :p

That said, anything even remotely connected to Planescape: Torment gets my absolute attention. I think NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer is one of the best RPGs since the Infinity Engine era and I loved KOTOR2's take on Star Wars, but no game has ever captured me just like PS:T did.

*edit*

Ah, who am I kidding? Yeah, I like Obsidian and pretty much all of their games in general, but it'll always be PS:T. Vote changed.

Edited by Ercarret

In all honesty, whilst I adore the narrative of planescape torment and the idea of more games like that encouraged me immensely, a big part of the reason I backed was to see what Obsidian would make unburdened of the demands of others. No pre-defined ruleset to force into a game where it doesn't really fit, no mandatory ideas - everything made to work together optimally. Sounds wonderful.

is this even a question? :p

of course the holiest of the holies: planescape: torment

we want a spiritual successor for ps:t!

• Like 1

"if everyone is dead then why don't i remember dying?"

—a clueless sod to a dustman

"if we're all alive then why don't i remember being born?"

—the dustman's response

Probably PST.

There's plenty of combat-oriented RPG's, but Planescape was the only one I have played with more dialogue and choices than any other. Also I liked PST because it seemed to me experimental, I know it's known as a classic or traditional RPG but it's really not, up till Fallout roleplaying in computer games was basically just creating a party of characters, being able to roll their stats, choose classes, and then going to kill the big evil. Don't quote me but Fallout I think was like the first RPG to introduce branching dialogue, and dialogue choices which changed the actual world in the game. I think Dark Sun was the first RPG that introduced dialogue; as in injections from characters in your party.

So yeah, old roleplaying in AD&D computer games was basically just character generation, buying stuff and getting training from NPC's, and combat. Roleplaying in Fallout and then PST actually experimented with the idea that talking and choices was roleplaying.

An experiment that got pretty quickly forgotten and never taken back up it seems

Edited by Crosmando