What are you Playing Now? Who needs a life anyway?...

uuuhhii

It's a big problem with Stellaris specifically because the game has introduced several fundamental design changes over the years. The phasing out of the different FTL modes in favor of starlanes for everyone, the move from tiles to pops, etc. Though that's also the fault of Steam's mandatory patching feature/policy to a significant degree. It's just not possible to play the game you bought originally unless you kept a pirated version or something. Steam and Paradox, working hand in hand to make your experience worse since 2014.

• Like 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Finished Cyberpunk. Pretty good game. It doesn't have the best intro and the tutorial can be something like 15 - 20 hours. At one point I was so kitted up with cybernetics I considered raising the difficulty but left it on Normal 'cause I suck at shooters. Felt like the game threatened to melt my graphics card a few times. It runs so hot. There's an odd quest design quirk that pushes you to pursue the main plot right until the point of no return, and then to go do side content. I did what I always do in games in consuming as much side content I could before advancing the main plot. There was two quest chains (only two) I didn't finish 'cause I didn't feel like spam sleeping to move them along when I'd already done everything else. I got the good ending. Judy's story . . . well, that was the quest chain that left me questioning if I would continue to play. The driving is kinda bad. The cars felt floaty. they slid around a lot. Also, way have a first person driving mode that only shows you one half of the view looking out the window? Don't know about you guys, but I peripheral vision.

Really good game. Highly recommend despite the bugs.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

For those fans of RDR2 I installed one of the most interesting mods I have ever seen

Its called Misterix Redemption and it adds supernatural monsters and enemies like vampires, giant crabs and snow giants. They dont spawn naturally and you have to use Map Editor to go to  these areas but its great fun fighting and killing monsters in this Western themed game 

https://www.nexusmods.com/reddeadredemption2/mods/304?tab=description

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

6 hours ago, 213374U said:

It's a big problem with Stellaris specifically because the game has introduced several fundamental design changes over the years. The phasing out of the different FTL modes in favor of starlanes for everyone, the move from tiles to pops, etc. Though that's also the fault of Steam's mandatory patching feature/policy to a significant degree. It's just not possible to play the game you bought originally unless you kept a pirated version or something. Steam and Paradox, working hand in hand to make your experience worse since 2014.

those outdated tiny bonus for basic resource trait should have been thrown out of the game with the tiles

still unchanged now

change basic system instead of holding on to broken one like eu4 is a good choice

but paradox just couldn't make any thing work smoothly

4 hours ago, the_dog_days said:

Finished Cyberpunk. Pretty good game. It doesn't have the best intro and the tutorial can be something like 15 - 20 hours. At one point I was so kitted up with cybernetics I considered raising the difficulty but left it on Normal 'cause I suck at shooters. Felt like the game threatened to melt my graphics card a few times. It runs so hot. There's an odd quest design quirk that pushes you to pursue the main plot right until the point of no return, and then to go do side content. I did what I always do in games in consuming as much side content I could before advancing the main plot. There was two quest chains (only two) I didn't finish 'cause I didn't feel like spam sleeping to move them along when I'd already done everything else. I got the good ending. Judy's story . . . well, that was the quest chain that left me questioning if I would continue to play. The driving is kinda bad. The cars felt floaty. they slid around a lot. Also, way have a first person driving mode that only shows you one half of the view looking out the window? Don't know about you guys, but I peripheral vision.

Really good game. Highly recommend despite the bugs.

driving are awful

only use bikes for their small size convenience

It sounds silly but I avoided driving simply because of the lack of anywhere to park. It's really immersion-breaking to just get out of the car in the middle of the street, so driving feels heavily disincentivised. Please, widen the streets and give us curbside parking.

Yeah, it's probably just the Truck Sim driver in me talking. Still waiting for the imminent 1.44 patch for that which revamps the heavily outdated Austria map.

• Like 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Touche. Though in all seriousness it's more because they simply don't exist, rather than being occupied. It might not matter for something like GTA or Saints Row where you tend to make explosive exits from your vehicle, but even in Saints Row I followed the road rules most of the time. Like, the only carpark I actually remember is outside the club that's central to the main plot ...and it doesn't work properly because there are some invisible walls in it.

The Witcher 3 was pretty decent about providing horse parking at inns I think?

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

13 hours ago, 213374U said:

It's possible to play a 4-year old version of it, using the beta feature. Obviously still not original, but that's pretty far back.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Humanoid said:

..but even in Saints Row I followed the road rules most of the time. Like, the only carpark I actually remember is outside the club that's central to the main plot ...and it doesn't work properly because there are some invisible walls in it.

I always obey the road rules, but everyone else insists on driving on the wrong side of the road.

Honourable exception: Sleeping Dogs.

The Witcher 3 was pretty decent about providing horse parking at inns I think?

This is perhaps the most 21st century thing I have ever read.

• Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1

5 hours ago, Zoraptor said:

This is perhaps the most 21st century thing I have ever read.

As a kid I would have expected the 21st century conversation to be about where to park my flying car, yet sadly here we are, still tethered to the ground. :(

• Like 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

1 hour ago, Humanoid said:

As a kid I would have expected the 21st century conversation to be about where to park my flying car, yet sadly here we are, still tethered to the ground. :(

Have you seen the way people drive though? We don't need that in the air.

The future is not having to travel anywhere. Zoom into work and have drones deliver all your goods.

• Gasp! 1

^ I'm still waiting for teleporters/transporters ... which I will be too old, and fearful curmudgeonly to use, but will marvel that I lived long enough to see them in existence.

...also, I am not really playing anything - just to kinda/sorta be on thread-topic. Mostly I think about playing something, but then I don't. Maybe it's time for another 2 day run of Diablo 1.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

8 hours ago, Hurlsnot said:

The future is not having to travel anywhere. Zoom into work and have drones deliver all your goods.

Isn't that already the otaku lifestyle?

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

15 hours ago, Humanoid said:

Now you see the futility of hope.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

On 5/15/2022 at 3:55 AM, uuuhhii said:

driving are awful

only use bikes for their small size convenience

Same.  The driving is awful, the bikes aren't as bad.  I really feel like cyberpunk could have been hub based instead of open world, because the open world part really added nothing except time wasting

1 hour ago, Malcador said:

Now you see the futility of hope.

No Malc, never forget " hope springs eternal in the human breast " 🥂

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, Theonlygarby said:

Same.  The driving is awful, the bikes aren't as bad.  I really feel like cyberpunk could have been hub based instead of open world, because the open world part really added nothing except time wasting

if the game are hub base and mostly in those mega tower it would be a much better designed game

Edited by uuuhhii
  • Like 1

I just got done playing STONEKEEP a first-person dungeon crawler from 1995. My cousin got it for Christmas when I was a little kid and I got to play a little bit of it but never too much. (I remember opening a door and seeing a goblin with a sword and getting jump scared as it killed me. I had just gotten done killing a lot of ants and thought I was backtracking the way I came from - when in reality I went a totally different way.) It always intrigued me as a kid and I loved dungeon crawlers. My first being Dungeon Master on the SNES which my cousin and I went through together in the summer once so it was always on the back of my mind as I've been doing a lot of research into first person ARPGS as of late I figured I'd give it a go.

Well, it definitely has a ton of issues. Was still a great game, but man hindsight is 20-20 for sure. Having items display their names and an inventory that was larger than 5x1 would have been a huge help. There is a lot of vagueness to the game and the puzzle solving definitely felt rewarding, but it also required you to understand the designer's thought process. I remember getting a magical orb that I had no way of knowing what it did. I clicked it to use it and it made a noise but nothing happened. I tried it in a specific spot and it seemed to teleport me to a different area before warping me back. (Initially I dropped the orb after teleporting and wasn't able to get back to it.)

Turns out the orb wasn't teleporting me, it was levitating me upwards to a hole on the ceiling you barely would notice unless you looked very closely. A lot of puzzles like that in this game. One I figured out through sheer luck of remembering a spell existed that shrunk things that I got about 15 hours earlier in the game and never found a use for up until that point.

Combat was fun, but also extremely punishing early on and in late game. Most of the time I felt like I had to run away and throw things or cheese enemies at doorways they couldn't go through. I know the backup and throw stuff at monsters is common to a lot of dungeon crawlers, but it really just felt over the top in stone keep until you found the magic staffs and ways to recharge them.

Still for its flaws there were a lot of interesting ideas. Namely the rune system for magic.

• Like 3

I wrapped up RDR2, and started Death Stranding.

It’s…. interesting. My 2nd Kohima game after MGSV. Cutscenes are captivating in spite of being way too long and full of nonsense. Hiking I like. i want more hiking games. Losing balance and tumbling down a cliff is hilarious and fun… at least for now. I find use of recognisable actors to be distracting.

Plodding along in Crowns and Pawns, is so so. Missed a hot spot and thus got blocked, that was annoying. But overall the puzzles are not bad - chasing a cat around with an access card around it's neck is a bit silly a puzzle to present.  But all in all paid $20 for it.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Stories Untold. I don't know how this got into my Steam library (did one of the TGGG people give it to me?), but it's basically a game that mixes text adventure with external puzzle mechanics and storytelling. It's actually pretty cool and a lot of fun (though probably not terribly challenging for people who actually played text adventures...but I'm okay with that, seeing as I'm not such as a person).

Stories_Untold_jXBk3FoLEB.png

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.