ranDom vIdeO game news

majestic

From former Telltale devs:

It can't possibly be worse than what Kurtzman Goldsman & Co. have done with Star Trek.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Hmmm 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธRFK Jr 2024๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

The animations look rough, but other than that it seems interesting. Not sure if I'm a fan of the third person camera, though. Also shame it's no *actual* gameplay outside of a little dialog.

• Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

21 hours ago, Wormerine said:

Big Solasta update:

New Campaign DLC got a name and release date:
Lost Valley, coming on April 14th. It is:

Sadly no new levels, but I am curious how more "branching" this new content will be. While I liked how straightforward the original campaign was and wouldn't want to change it, I think it would be better with more choices and reactivity. Either way new content in Solasta is welcome.

But that is not all.

Multiplayer Coop will be coming to all Solasta owners as a free update on April 14th, and there will be Beta Weekend starting on March 17th for anyone owning Solasta and interested in checking it out.ย 

ย 

Edit: I had info from email, here is steam announcement, with additional details:
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1096530/view/4689941763336775051

Heh. You always beat me to it with the Solasta updates! :)

Yeah a great update. I don't care at all about MP, but so many others do, and if that is what gets them into this wonderful game then that's a plus for all fans of the game. And all the other new bits that come with the new DLC are great too. I didn't think the backgrounds feature TA added to the game would have much of an impact, but it is in reality a very nice feature that actually impacts your playthrough. So having nine new backgrounds is great. My only disappointment is that we are still stuck at level 12 max. But given how far they went to tell us from the very beginning that MP was just not gonna' happen, and then they spring this surprise on us, I'm very optimistic now that at some point we will get an expansion to level 20.

• Like 3

On 3/15/2022 at 6:01 PM, Wormerine said:

New Campaign DLC got a name and release date:
Lost Valley, coming on April 14th. It is:

Sadly no new levels, but I am curious how more "branching" this new content will be. While I liked how straightforward the original campaign was and wouldn't want to change it, I think it would be better with more choices and reactivity. Either way new content in Solasta is welcome.

Wonder how much it will cost. With the Barbarian/Druid DLC being 9.99...

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, the_dog_days said:

Their own.

Yeah, their own ruleset. Plus, RTwP combat, party size of five, graphics a bit better than the IE games but generally a very similar look, and a huge emphasis on crafting. And there will be future expansions, because a KS add-on was pre-paying for all future expansions.

23 hours ago, Keyrock said:

From former Telltale devs:

It can't possibly be worse than what Kurtzman Goldsman & Co. have done with Star Trek.

As a fairly newly converted Trekkie just coming off from an over a year long Trek addiction, I must say that in spite of visual awkwardness and lack of gameplay it does appeal to me.ย 

19 hours ago, Lexx said:

The animations look rough, but other than that it seems interesting. Not sure if I'm a fan of the third person camera, though. Also shame it's no *actual* gameplay outside of a little dialog.

ย 

19 minutes ago, Wormerine said:

As a fairly newly converted Trekkie just coming off from an over a year long Trek addiction, I must say that in spite of visual awkwardness and lack of gameplay it does appeal to me.ย 

My biggest criticism of Telltale is that they never evolved their formula, they just reskinned it for another IP. It took a different studio, Big Bad Wolf, to move the narrative adventure genre forward. I don't necessarily want Dramatic Labs to copy The Council, but just another Telltale game ain't gonna cut it, it needs to be more than that.

• Thanks 1

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

8 hours ago, Keyrock said:

My biggest criticism of Telltale is that they never evolved their formula, they just reskinned it for another IP. It took a different studio, Big Bad Wolf, to move the narrative adventure genre forward. I don't necessarily want Dramatic Labs to copy The Council, but just another Telltale game ain't gonna cut it, it needs to be more than that.

I vaguely remember reading that their boss pressured them into repeating The Walking Dead's success? Not just financially but the award shower too?

Elden Ring got a patch with some interesting additions:ย https://www.bandainamcoent.com/news/elden-ring-patch-notes-v1-03

Edited by Oner
  • Thanks 1

Hard West (not to be confused with upcoming Weird West) is getting a sequel. The original was a more story driven XCOM wanna-be, and it was rather crap. That is led by another studio (good!) but the new studio didn't do many games, and I am unfamiliar with any of them. Oh well.

ย 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lexx said:

Nice, I like the first game. Just shame that other people are working on it. : x

I am glad you did. Did you ever tried Phantom Doctrine. I was kinda excited about that game until I learned that it was made by same devs as Hard West. I think I have it somewhere, but mixed review turned me off trying it. Hard West I remember was received rather well, though as I mentioned personally I didn't dig it.ย 

10 minutes ago, Wormerine said:

I am glad you did. Did you ever tried Phantom Doctrine. I was kinda excited about that game until I learned that it was made by same devs as Hard West. I think I have it somewhere, but mixed review turned me off trying it. Hard West I remember was received rather well, though as I mentioned personally I didn't dig it.ย 

Hard West had a lot of good ideas but it was very rough around the edges. Phantom Doctrine was waaaaay more polished and a much better game. I enjoyed it quite a bit. My biggest criticism is that once I figured a couple of strategies out, it became too easy. At that point, completing levels became trivial, it was all about meeting challenges I imposed on myself.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/16/2022 at 10:27 AM, MrBrown said:

Wonder how much it will cost. With the Barbarian/Druid DLC being 9.99...

Yes I'm not sure how well they thought through that DLC. There's already plenty of content to play through the first campaign without the DLC, so the motivation to buy it was a bit lacking. Still, with the new campaign, it may become worthwhile.

At this point I'm hoping Solasta will become what Realms Beyond should have been; the new GoldBox series.

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Seems like it'll be decent enough from reviews so far.

• Thanks 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Honestly looks good, but:

1) It's WarnerBros's game

2) With how widely popular HP property is/was I imagine HL will aim to appeal to as wide non-gamer demographic as possible, being all spectacle and no substence

3) It's WarnerBros's game

Edited by Wormerine
  • Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

12 hours ago, the_dog_days said:

I like some Warner Brothers games.

I am more weary of their business practices, which is true of all AAA publishers. Maybe itโ€™s because WB actually releases games I am interested in. That reminds me, I should play 2nd Shadow of War now when microtransactions were removed and game rebalanced.ย 

Edited by Wormerine