ranDom vIdeO game news

majestic

Microsoft is killing the "Bethesda Launcher" (did not even know this was a thing) and will be moving over everything to Steam (i.e. if you own a game on the Bethesda Launcher, apparently you will be comped with a Steam copy, not a Microsoft Store copy).

Edited by Bartimaeus
were -> will
  • Like 5
  • Hmmm 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

20 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Microsoft is killing the "Bethesda Launcher" (did not even know this was a thing) and will be moving over everything to Steam (i.e. if you own a game on the Bethesda Launcher, apparently you were be comped with a Steam copy, not a Microsoft Store copy).

Yes its a good development, I use Steam, Epic and GOG to launch my games anyway. I will transfer any games to Steam when I can 

And I went through the link in the tweet and it makes sense and I dont see it detracting from my Bethesda gaming experience in any way 

https://bethesda.net/en/article/2RXxG1y000NWupPalzLblG/sunsetting-the-bethesda-net-launcher-and-migrating-to-steam?linkId=153328254&utm_content=6384453312&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=Community

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

one less launcher is good thing, now lets kill ubisoft

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

12 minutes ago, Chilloutman said:

one less launcher is good thing, now lets kill ubisoft

But you cant kill Ubisoft because even if you launch Ubisoft games  games from Steam you still need the Ubisoft client?

I wouldnt miss it because its not like I anything from their store 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

https://square-enix-games.com/en_GB/news/eidos-montreal-15th-anniversary

2022 is a big year for Eidos-Montréal - it turns 15 years old!

Founded in the long-ago time of 2007, the Canadian studio has been responsible for some of the most exciting, ambitious, and downright fun titles on three generations of gaming hardware.

It’s a momentous milestone, and one worth both celebrating and reflecting on. With that in mind, we invited the team to look back over the last 15 years of groundbreaking games, and reveal their memories of bringing them to life!

What’s your favorite memory about working on the game?

One of the funniest was on day one: we were in temp spaces, and we had no desks to install our computers on. Jonathan Jacques-Belletête (Art Director at the time) and I went in a storage room to pick up unassembled tables.

We brought them to the temp space and put them together. We didn’t have any instruction sheets with us, thus, the tables ended up super crooked. David Anfossi, our producer back then, looked at our work, and then at us discouraged, he said: “You can’t properly install simple tables, and I’m supposed to make the next Deus Ex game with you guys?”

Edited by Raithe
  • Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Re. Elden Ring, it's my understanding the game does not have difficulty settings. Is this true? This worries me because I am very much a casual player when it comes to combat in my video games, and actively avoid hardcore hack and slash type combat-based games. What should I expect in this game?

2 hours ago, kanisatha said:

Re. Elden Ring, it's my understanding the game does not have difficulty settings. Is this true? This worries me because I am very much a casual player when it comes to combat in my video games, and actively avoid hardcore hack and slash type combat-based games. What should I expect in this game?

That's a good question, and one I would like a clear answer as well, though my worry is from the oposite.

From what I gathered the gist seems to be that dungeons can be just as intricate and challenging as they always have been, while open world offers a more forgiving experience with variety of approaches and opportunities to gain an upper hand - SkillUp in his review mentioned being at a point when he one shots bosses - though as he never mentioned it as a problem, which confuses me. DS games (outside Sekiro) always had easy modes - stuff like summoning other players could and would make your playthrough a cakewalk. ER has couple aditional mechanics that should make things easier for those who want it - like summons and expanded magic.

General consensus seems that it is by far the most inclusive game FromSoftware made, but how inclusive it is I have no clue. I recommend checking review and seeing if it is something that would interest you. After watching a SkillUp review I had an impression that ER might get dangerously easy once we start raking XP, but two other reviews stongly suggested that the game still is hard. We will see starting Friday. 

Edited by Wormerine
  • Thanks 2

Elden Ring currently sits at the second highest game of all time on OpenCritic with 111 critic reviews so far as well as a perfect "100% recommended" score (works the same way as Rotten Tomato's Tomato Meter).

Elden Ring is FromSoftware's best work yet and one of the highest rated games of all time. With refined, accessible, and satisfying combat in a vast, beautiful, and intriguing open world, players will find a lot to love.

Certainly a better reception and outlook than I expected, given FromSoftware's history of jankiness. Huh.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

A nice little video by ArenaNet as preparation for the launch of End of Dragons in less than week now (something I'm looking really forward to).

For those who don't know the game, what impressed me with this video is not the technical quality of the gfx or the voice acting or anything like that, but that they somehow managed to cut and paste snippets from so many old cutscenes, that are completely unrelated to the story being told in the video, together and slapping a new narrative on top of the mish mash of videos, that the story and video clips actually seems like they were made for each other.

ArenaNet did something slightly similar back in 2013 with their first anniversary trailer:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

11 minutes ago, ComradeYellow said:

t3uwjkl.jpg

Holy crap guys is this for real?  Am I reading this right?

I did warn a while back that Miyazaki was going to crush the industry but I never expected wrecked levels of this magnitude.

Nothing worries me more then IGN giving a game 10/10. It's funny that universal acclaim makes me only more nervous about the game.

Still:
3EF46sI.jpg

Only one way to find out. 

Edited by Wormerine

Still though, 10's across the board?  97 Metacritic?  If they got the sales figures to back it up this is bound to be some kind of industry wrecking ball of catastrophic proportions.  Nothing to scoff at.

The usual caveat of course that it should actually be a good game and not fake good games like Bethesda :)

Edited by ComradeYellow

I didn't looked much into Elden Ring, I jsut don't know why its suppose to be such big hit? Is it just cross between Dark Souls and Skyrim?

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

1 hour ago, Chilloutman said:

I didn't looked much into Elden Ring, I jsut don't know why its suppose to be such big hit? Is it just cross between Dark Souls and Skyrim?

Dark Souls and Breath of the Wild is my impression. From what I understand:

1) It dark souls combat, but due to its open nature you can turn around and go other way if you hit a wall of difficulty making it more noob friendly. There are also mechanics like summon to reduce difficulty somewhat. 
2) everyone says how uniquely engaging exploration is - it has relatively little predictable content and game forces player to engage with exploration. No map markers to follow only only way to find something it to peak behind every corner. World is apparently constructed in a very unique way, often hiding things on purpose, rather then drawing attention to main things. It seems that many people found the loop of “I wonder if there is something very cool around the corner” very compelling. 

From handful reviews I skimmed it sounds like it might be Souls-Like that does exploration and variety of build the best, even if tight power progression and challenge might be somewhat loose in this one. Something I heard multiple times is that this one feels more like an adventure, then intimidating, desperate push against overwhelming forces. 

• Thanks 1

ok but you can wander around and fight monsters, but does it have some narrative? branching story? or you just run around killing monsters?

1 hour ago, Chilloutman said:

ok but you can wander around and fight monsters, but does it have some narrative? branching story? or you just run around killing monsters?

FromSoftware games always excel is storytelling but they stray away from more traditional movie/dialogue heavy exposition. You won’t get much plot from their games. Sekiro had a bit more traditional structure but ER stays close to DS roots - there are NPCs with their own stories and probably they can end different ways and probably the game will have couple endings, but it’s more about doing things and learning things organically then watching cinematics or reading texts. I hear ER reveals more of its lore in a straightforward way, but don’t expect spending much time in it talking to NPCs. Those are kind of games that you can finish and don’t know what the story is, but there are some really great stuff for those who pay attention.

Unfortunately, as is tradition, port is apparently pretty garbage. 60FPS lock and stuttering issues. Apparently they just patched the game and made things straight up worse. If I can’t run it with stable 60 FPS, which by all accounts seems likely, the game will go on hiatus until it gets better. 

Edited by Wormerine

2 hours ago, Wormerine said:

Sekiro had a bit more traditional structure but ER stays close to DS roots

And boy, was it not good. Glad to hear it's more like DS - really didn't want FromSoftware to emulate BotW in that regards as well, given how pants the story and dialogue/cutscenes in that game were.