RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Blarghagh

To me, and maybe it is just me, but it kind of reminds me of crazy christians playing vinyl records backwards to reveal "messages of Satan" in rock/metal music. Not that it's a one to one, but it seems a similar mentality to that kind of witch hunting.

• Like 5

That is the thing, really, a game like CK2 would have been a far better choice. Even something like Stardew Valley would have been better, though not as good as CK2. There's nothing wrong with examining the way relationships work in games; they are game systems so analysis of them is essentially the same as examining the combat system or resource economy.

The choice made was an utterly gutless one though, and -imo at least- an actively capricious one too. It's a single dev game, in alpha, with bugs and is thus both 'safe' to attack and has systems that are very obviously subject to frequent, substantial changes and also frequent, substantial deviation from what is intended. Do the same article on CK2 and it's a look at a mature game with mature systems, from a decent sized studio, well(ish) known etc. But of course do it in the same style and you're far more likely to get a negative response from Paradox that might have actual repercussions. The whole article assumes a... malice, for want of a better word, on behalf of the developer that cannot be justified. Malice on behalf of the article writer, otoh, can be suspected with a fair bit of evidence- the disclaimer about the dev wanting 'editorial control' of the interview is distinctly misleading as he wanted a lack of editing from anyone, not without justification given the end result.

Overall; the analysis is the worst sort of trivial because it's of an early access/ alpha game, the target is picked to maximise clicks not to provide meaningful analysis, it appears to be at best accidentally malicious (frankly, I think it's deliberately so) and it could have very serious consequences for that single developer by whipping up a righteousness storm. I'd object to it less if there weren't potentially an interesting article there.

• Like 1

The developer's reply (on reddit)

https://m.reddit.com/r/RimWorld/comments/5ax9a9/some_notes_on_recent_controversies/

"The way this is modeled in the code is just the quickest way I could think of to get the system working on that night I wrote it seven months ago. And it did work just fine, for those whole seven months. It's only an uninformed reading of the code, inferring hidden emotions from data structures (instead of reading them as the probability functions they are), that could lead to this conclusion."

• Like 5

Fortune favors the bald.

The developer's reply (on reddit)

https://m.reddit.com/r/RimWorld/comments/5ax9a9/some_notes_on_recent_controversies/

"The way this is modeled in the code is just the quickest way I could think of to get the system working on that night I wrote it seven months ago. And it did work just fine, for those whole seven months. It's only an uninformed reading of the code, inferring hidden emotions from data structures (instead of reading them as the probability functions they are), that could lead to this conclusion."

Actually this is the most interesting thingie on his reddit from what I have read:

"Also note that the original article presented this as a "code comment" which made it look like it came directly from my code. Decompiled code does not include comments. The blogger wrote that comment (and all the others) herself. She also restructured the code and added names of variables and such (decompiled code doesn't include local variable names). It's better regarded as her pseudocode interpretation of my code, not anything I actually wrote."

So in current age, it is actually allowed to practically decompile a code and then turn it into your own, which does not represent the real code, and blame the original author for what you have created on your own?

• Like 4

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

For those who might have missed the joyously 80's cheese action fest that is Far Cry Blood Dragon;

If you missed Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon, then you are in luck as Ubisoft are giving the game away for free throughout November!

From Wednesday the 9th you will be able to pick up the PC version of the game for free. All you need is a Ubisoft Uplay account in order to download it from the Ubisoft Club website.

If you don’t know already Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon is a stand alone DLC which is bathed in 80’s nostalgia. You play as Rex Power Colt (voiced by the epic Michael Biehn), a Mark VI Cyber-Commando who has been awoken to stop the end of the world. The game is a perfect homage to all things 80’s, it even includes a generous helping of neon visuals and cringe worthy one liners.

The game is being given away for free to celebrate Ubisoft’s 30th anniversary, so make sure you snap it up quick before the offer ends.

• Like 6

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

wow, I kept missing the sales with this game but really wanted to play it. luckily for me... :D

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

RPS making wild leaps of logic, using creative interpretation, and altering information to serve their narrative? Why I never!

• Like 4

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

For those who might have missed the joyously 80's cheese action fest that is Far Cry Blood Dragon;

If you missed Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon, then you are in luck as Ubisoft are giving the game away for free throughout November!

From Wednesday the 9th you will be able to pick up the PC version of the game for free. All you need is a Ubisoft Uplay account in order to download it from the Ubisoft Club website.

If you don’t know already Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon is a stand alone DLC which is bathed in 80’s nostalgia. You play as Rex Power Colt (voiced by the epic Michael Biehn), a Mark VI Cyber-Commando who has been awoken to stop the end of the world. The game is a perfect homage to all things 80’s, it even includes a generous helping of neon visuals and cringe worthy one liners.

The game is being given away for free to celebrate Ubisoft’s 30th anniversary, so make sure you snap it up quick before the offer ends.

Only on Uplay, blah

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I would argue that what developer has to say is completely irrelevant to the topic at hand. Even if he wrote that code fully wanting to point out that men and women behave differently in dating (which is truly a highly controversial opinion worthy of analysis), an unfinished code can be purposefully exaggerated or even bugged.

In a software I was developing some time ago, I've had to implement functionality where small additions could be automatically added to an ordered meal/drink. Purpose was to, say, automatically order sugar with tea. In early alpha tho, I only had a limited selection to work with, so I made it so sugar gets automatically added to all diabetic diets. Did I do it as a political commentary on our need to eliminate diabetic people? Nah, it was the first identifier I've seen, and thought it was kind of funny.

Dungeon Rats released! http://store.steampowered.com/app/531930/

I had time to play about half way through in beta, and highly recommend it. Some significant features added to Age of Decadence combat, and should be quite a good challenge on the highest difficulty.

• Like 1

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Dungeon Rats released! http://store.steampowered.com/app/531930/

I had time to play about half way through in beta, and highly recommend it. Some significant features added to Age of Decadence combat, and should be quite a good challenge on the highest difficulty.

Thanks

Picked it up on GOG

Free games updated 3/4/21

From Wednesday the 9th you will be able to pick up the PC version of the game for free. All you need is a Ubisoft Uplay account in order to download it from the Ubisoft Club website.

Only on Uplay, blah

Even if you bought it elsewhere (like Steam) you would be forced to open uplay to play it, iirc. It's worth dealing with uplay, IMHO. This is coming from someone that hates uplay with a fury. I'd pick any other platform over uplay.

It's the best thing ubisoft has made since beyond good and evil, IMHO. It's a good game.

• Like 2

RPS making wild leaps of logic, using creative interpretation, and altering information to serve their narrative? Why I never!

That said, the comments on RPS is one of the few things that make me quesiton my stance on corporal punishment. Rule of Thumb people, rule of thumb...

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Yup, best time to reinstall Diablo 3 since the new patch is free and I never finished the original Diablo(*shame*): http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-11-04-blizzard-recreating-diablo-1-in-diablo-3-reveals-premium-necromancer-class

Edited by Katphood

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

I was talking about the original Diablo campaign that is supposed to be added as a patch?

Diablo 1 will be recreated in Diablo 3 courtesy of an anniversary patch that's arriving on the Public Test Realm next week. The patch, Darkening of Tristram, will take you back into the cathedral and down into 16 levels of monster-filled dungeons that will include the four main bosses from the first DIablo game.

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

I was talking about the original Diablo campaign that is supposed to be added as a patch?

Diablo 1 will be recreated in Diablo 3 courtesy of an anniversary patch that's arriving on the Public Test Realm next week. The patch, Darkening of Tristram, will take you back into the cathedral and down into 16 levels of monster-filled dungeons that will include the four main bosses from the first DIablo game.

Yes, that's free.

• Like 1

I loooooved the necromancer class in D2, so this is a no-brainer for me. Day 1 buy, I don't mind paying for it, that's for sure. I was hoping for an expansion, but a few new areas are at least better than nothing, and the entire D1 periodically once a year, yum! :)

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***