RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Blarghagh

I am beyond burnt out with D3, but will probably still give this a go.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

According to SteamCharts, since release, Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare had a peak at about 15k players concurrent players on Steam. To put this into perspective, it's currently at position of 34 of the most played games on Steam, mere days after launch. Games like Path of Exile, Witcher 3 or SMITE currently have more players than Infinite Warfare. That's... Rather dire.

According to SteamCharts, since release, Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare had a peak at about 15k players concurrent players on Steam. To put this into perspective, it's currently at position of 34 of the most played games on Steam, mere days after launch. Games like Path of Exile, Witcher 3 or SMITE currently have more players than Infinite Warfare. That's... Rather dire.

Activision, in their infinite wisdom, made the Steam and Windows Store versions use different servers.  So, for the first time I can think of, a game launched on PC with 2 separate player bases.  Not surprised to see it not selling well, and/or dropping off quickly.  They doomed it with that bone headed, and anti-consumer, behavior.  It's particularly odd because its Pier to Pier, if I am not mistaken.

Edited for clarity.

Edited by Ganrich

You mean your average Call of Duty player is smart enough to get through the hell of Windows updates, account registrations and utterly dire UI of Windows store to even get as far as buying a game through it?

Honestly, I don't believe Windows Store is much of a factor, purely because it's terrible and next to nobody is using it. I'd be surprised if more than 10% of the game's sales were made of Windows Store sales, and even that I'd bet I'm over-estimating.

I bet there's like 100 people buying it through Windows Store, and those happen to be poor grandmas of both Microsoft and Activision employees.

You mean your average Call of Duty player is smart enough to get through the hell of Windows updates, account registrations and utterly dire UI of Windows store to even get as far as buying a game through it?

Honestly, I don't believe Windows Store is much of a factor, purely because it's terrible and next to nobody is using it. I'd be surprised if more than 10% of the game's sales were made of Windows Store sales, and even that I'd bet I'm over-estimating.

I bet there's like 100 people buying it through Windows Store, and those happen to be poor grandmas of both Microsoft and Activision employees.

Oh, sure, but even still...  That perception from players buying the steam version could cause people to be less inclined to buy either version.  Either way, the series hasn't done well on PC for years as far as I am aware.  The fans were viewing it negatively anyway.  I doubt even COD4 remastered will save it, and I actually enjoyed COD4.  Not enough to buy a COD in 2016, but I did enjoy it.  I bought Titanfall 2, and I'm not looking back.  Titanfall 2 is great.  Campaign is short but well designed, and the MP is fantastic. 

Just look at what's happening with TItanfall 2. Allegedly it's sold 4 times fewer copies than the original game, and Titanfall 1 is basically a ghost town today (300-500 players globally on a weekend), so people pretty much jumped the Titanfall ship already. I have a feeling people just don't have the patience for this kind of shooters anymore. It's oversaturation with "modern warfare" type shooters, probably (it's been almost 10 years since Modern Warfare's release, and in this 10 years the formula hasn't changed - with Titanfall being the exception, but not clicking with players for some reason). 

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

I still don't get who in their right mind thought it a good idea to release Battlefield 1, Titanfall 2 and Infinite Warfare inside timeframe of about a single month anyway. Especially the former two, considering they both come from EA.

• Like 3

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I still don't get who in their right mind thought it a good idea to release Battlefield 1, Titanfall 2 and Infinite Warfare inside timeframe of about a single month anyway. Especially the former two, considering they both come from EA.

Yup, pretty stupid.  Titanfall 2 should have been pushed until around March, but what do I know?  I am enjoying it, though.

Just look at what's happening with TItanfall 2. Allegedly it's sold 4 times fewer copies than the original game, and Titanfall 1 is basically a ghost town today (300-500 players globally on a weekend), so people pretty much jumped the Titanfall ship already. I have a feeling people just don't have the patience for this kind of shooters anymore. It's oversaturation with "modern warfare" type shooters, probably (it's been almost 10 years since Modern Warfare's release, and in this 10 years the formula hasn't changed - with Titanfall being the exception, but not clicking with players for some reason). 

Yeah, Titanfall had a learning curve with bunny hopping, wall running, etc.  It also had a very limited selection of guns (8-9 primaries, 3 anti-titan weapons, and 3 pistols) and upgrades.  It was easy to get bored with it.  T2 has almost 20 primaries, 4 anti-titan weapons, and 4 pistols.  There is more Titan diversity since they went with Titan classes vs open design because most people just used the same loadout.  T2 has better net code. They have made goosing easier, and generally made the movement easier as well.  I think it will have more staying power, but I hope more people give it a go.  It is a solid game. 

We have limited resources with everything that we choose to do.

Odd. If there would be game developer with nigh unlimited resources it's Blizzard.

So let's fix the quote:

You're already giving away the Diablo remake for free, don't you start working on risky remakes that make our shareholders antsy!

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Jim Sterling put forth the idea that EA did it to try and steal Call of Duty's audience. Battlefield has its own established audience, so its release was safe. But Titanfall 2 was meant to nibble away at CoD.

If true, EA was either very optimistic about Titanfall 2's performance or they were very reckless towards their partners, unleashing it like a suicide attack, not really caring what happened to it so long as it hurt the opposition.

I prefer to consider the latter idea, personally.

• Like 2
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Yup, pretty stupid.  Titanfall 2 should have been pushed until around March, but what do I know?  I am enjoying it, though.

Yeah, crazy. You'd almost think that Christmas is just around the corner...

grumpy-cat-christmas-bacon-wrapped-media

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

So it begins right after ME2, apparently. Timing makes sense I suppose

Andromeda is described as having more romance options than any other BioWare game, which should please fans of that. BioWare is also focusing on broadening these relationships to be about more than sex. Some characters will want a long-term relationship. Others will not.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-11-08-mass-effect-andromeda-has-ditched-character-classes-but-will-let-you-respec-your-character

Every single thing you see in the trailer you can romance. We have something for heterosexuals, homosexuals, bisexuals, zoophiles, objectophiles, necrophiles and a whole bunch of other uals and philes, some of which we're not allowed to put into our promotional material! In Mass Effect: Andromeda, when you think "I'd hit that", you can, whatever that is!

• Like 5

Andromeda is described as having more romance options than any other BioWare game, which should please fans of that. BioWare is also focusing on broadening these relationships to be about more than sex. Some characters will want a long-term relationship. Others will not.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-11-08-mass-effect-andromeda-has-ditched-character-classes-but-will-let-you-respec-your-character

Doubtlessly a Day 1 purchase.

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

That always reminds me of these books that are read by 40 years old women. You know, the ones with barely clad muscular men on the cover art.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

"Outside of battle, Mass Effect's trademark paragon/renegade dialogue system has been ditched for a wider range of options (heart, head, professional and casual - it all sounds very FIFA The Journey). There's no meter to tally your choices against now - so don't expect to look more evil if you push everyone out of windows."

really nobody remembers Alpha Protolol

• Like 3

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.