What are you Playing Now? Whatever happens, at least we're out of that mudhole, Gilded Vale.

uuuhhii

2 hours ago, Keyrock said:

I found Euro Truck Simulator 2 and American Truck Simulator to be "cozy" games. I only stopped playing them because I now do that for a living, but they were super chill games.

Heh, I played Train Simulator for quite a while. But it does get kinda dull after a while.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

13 minutes ago, Lexx said:

Heh, I played Train Simulator for quite a while. But it does get kinda dull after a while.

That's my problem, usually, with the so-called "cozy" games: I get totally bored with them pretty quickly and then never ever return to them again. And often I then feel like I didn't get my money's worth from the game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

TTD or RCT

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Stardew Valley is anything but cozy when you're sprinting across town to try to beat the clock. Sure, sometimes failing to do so might mean waiting until the next day. But it could also mean waiting to the next *year*.

ETS2 is cozier now that I have €30M so when a stupid car rams me coming out of a toll gate, I don't get angry at unjustly being fined €400. Instead, I will gladly rack up another few sets of €400 fines to make sure the lesson sinks in.

EDIT: To be fair, the AI mostly behaves reasonably outside toll booths and double-lane roundabouts. Maybe the devs just made a mistake and put the American AI into the European version of the game. ;)

Edited by Humanoid
  • Haha 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

1 hour ago, Humanoid said:

Maybe the devs just made a mistake and put the American AI into the European version of the game. ;)

Part of me wants to argue that sick burn, but as someone who drives Murican roads for a living, I have no retort.>_<

• Haha 4

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

4 hours ago, Humanoid said:

Stardew Valley is anything but cozy when you're sprinting across town to try to beat the clock. Sure, sometimes failing to do so might mean waiting until the next day. But it could also mean waiting to the next *year*.

While I agree for sure, there's at least one mod to slow down the clock. :)

On 10/14/2022 at 10:55 PM, Keyrock said:

Well, I just uninstalled Scorn, thank goodness I didn't pay for it. The game makes a great first impression. It looks and sounds great, the vibe is awesome, albeit gross, and puzzles are decent enough. Then the game introduces combat and it all falls apart. Simply put, the combat in this game is SHOCKINGLY AWFUL, and this is coming from a guy who plays Piranha Bytes games regularly. The first weapon you get is more a tool. It has a super short range, essentially melee, and you only get 2 attacks with it then you have to wait for it to recharge, which takes forever. Most enemies take 5 or 6 hits to kill and they hit you like a truck and attack far more frequently than you can. You can't block and you are slow as molasses, making dodging very difficult. You can heal but it's useless, counterproductive even, in combat since it takes eons for the animation to play out and you'll take more damage than you heal. It was one thing when there were enemies in open areas where you could run around them and just not fight. Then they started putting enemies in very tight corridors where you can't go around them. Then the put an enemy in a corridor in front of me and dropped one behind me so I couldn't even retreat. Maybe you get a better weapon later and it gets less frustrating. I'll never find out.

It's a shame, this had so much potential.

Been playing a bit of Scorn myself, though my issue is the save system. On the 2nd puzzle I took a bit of a risk and died. Had to redo the whole section. Yeah, that's not fun. The save system is bad, at least snapshot after each completed part.

On the topic of combat. I've seen it claimed you don't actually have to fight anything. If I can get past the annoying save system I might see how true that is...

The most cozy game, I have ever played was old Zoo Tycoon by Microsoft. Unfortunately, Microsoft being Microsoft, there is absolutely no chance to get this game DRM free…

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

So...I finished Lord of the Rings Online. You might ask yourself how I finished an MMORPG. Those games are supposed to have an endgame that just goes on and on. But after over 15 years of play, my Captain of Man has travelled with the fellowship of the ring, and now the ring is destroyed. I hope that isn't a spoiler. I didn't actually do the destroying. Frodo did it. Well, technically Gollum did it. It was confusing. I do know that I rode an eagle to rescue Frodo and Samwise, and now everything is peaceful and I'm supposed to attend Aragorn's wedding. But that seems more like an epilogue thing than a main story thing. 

Anyways, 15+ years, 110 levels, and probably somewhere in the 1000-hour range of game time, I have finally completed the main storyline of LotrO. It's crazy to think that the game was originally released really only covering the first book/movie, and now it has grown above and beyond the source material by quite a bit.

• Like 3
  • Gasp! 1

12 minutes ago, Hurlshort said:

So...I finished Lord of the Rings Online. You might ask yourself how I finished an MMORPG. Those games are supposed to have an endgame that just goes on and on. But after over 15 years of play, my Captain of Man has travelled with the fellowship of the ring, and now the ring is destroyed. I hope that isn't a spoiler. I didn't actually do the destroying. Frodo did it. Well, technically Gollum did it. It was confusing. I do know that I rode an eagle to rescue Frodo and Samwise, and now everything is peaceful and I'm supposed to attend Aragorn's wedding. But that seems more like an epilogue thing than a main story thing. 

Pfft. If Peter Jackson's movies are anything to go by, you have like 4 more endings to go. :p

• Thanks 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

EVE Online is the coziest game.

• Haha 3

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

On 10/22/2022 at 3:44 PM, Wormerine said:

Me too, but I am just on 2nd day. It’s easily the most stylish and snappy jRPG I played. It’s been weird so far, but I want to see more.

I avoided the persona series for a long time due to it being a high-school setting.  Glad I finally played persona 3.  Easily one of my favorite series

14 hours ago, Theonlygarby said:

I avoided the persona series for a long time due to it being a high-school setting.  Glad I finally played persona 3.  Easily one of my favorite series

haha, traumatic memories?
I am doing my first real dungeon dive in P5 - good stuff. I usually dislike jRPG combat due to how uninteractive it is, but so far I enjoy the game very much. More decisionmaking and way more interactivity outside combat then I expected. Really loving the game so far.

• Like 1

Sable. While still lovely, the game is getting slightly repetitive. I suppose, it is a very minimalistic version of Conan: Exiles - no combat or crafting. The MC can stand in fire, get hit by lightning, and fall from 20+ metres without any consequences. Though, admittedly I've been mostly travelling, instead of going straight for quest objectives or looking for dungeons/space ships. On the other hand, the last quest I've picked is to gather 3 pieces of excrements and before that 3 crystals. But the writing is still quite nice - stylistically consistent, fitting, and of reasonable length.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Hawke64 said:

Sable. While still lovely, the game is getting slightly repetitive. I suppose, it is a very minimalistic version of Conan: Exiles - no combat or crafting. The MC can stand in fire, get hit by lightning, and fall from 20+ metres without any consequences. Though, admittedly I've been mostly travelling, instead of going straight for quest objectives or looking for dungeons/space ships. On the other hand, the last quest I've picked is to gather 3 pieces of excrements and before that 3 crystals. But the writing is still quite nice - stylistically consistent, fitting, and of reasonable length.

I bought this game and forgot about it. Thanks for sharing your impressions. Maybe I'll play it. After I finish WotR and Eiyuden Chronicles, that I play once a week. Damn it, my Anime watch list goes fast compared to games.

• Thanks 1

sign.jpg

Re: cozy games -

I guess for myself it's mostly that I like games with "cozy elements". I mean, I would consider 7 Days to Die with zombies turned off or at least settings turned down or modded to be a very minimal threat to be quite "cozy", with most goals largely self-created vs. game driven, which is why I return to it periodically. And while I don't mind there being combat, I don't want to have to be razor focused or super precise all the time or in a state of constant stressed anticipation.

Something very one specific "thing" focused, like "Power Wash Simulator" is probably not my bag of tea however, unless it's 99 cents.

I did love the original RCT, except overall I was terrible at creating/building impressive  original coasters, and using the pre-made ones became limiting/dull after a while. So more a limit/frustration of my game-engineering capability.  :shifty:

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I've been playing A Plague Tale: Requiem. It's pretty good. It's mainly a stealth game. I never played the first game, but I know enough about it that there's a rat plague and Amicia's little brother Hugo is the Rat King. Hopefully, eventually I'll be able to control the rats and use them to kill soldiers. I mean, I can kind of do that already by putting soldiers' torches out, but I'm hoping for rat tornadoes and such.

• Thanks 4

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

9 hours ago, Keyrock said:

Hopefully, eventually I'll be able to control the rats and use them to kill soldiers. I mean, I can kind of do that already by putting soldiers' torches out, but I'm hoping for rat tornadoes and such.

That’s quite possible to happen. That was a thing in Plague1. 

how is performance? By all accounts I hear it is rather poor. 

On my second attempt to play Persona 5 on my PS4 (a year or two back) I quit during the first dungeon because I was done playing for the night and couldn't find anywhere I was allowed to save. 😐 Looks like that hasn't changed with Royale, but hopefully being on PC it's less inconvenient, not least because I can actually stand to game for extended sessions on PC, as opposed to an hour or so when console gaming. I assume the game is not meaningfully moddable in this regard but when I do get around to starting again I'll have a look if there are any meaningful mods at all.

Talking about Stardew Valley made me research that huge fan-made expansion a bit. Not going to commit to it just yet, but impressive that it seems to have its own comprehensive wiki just like the base game.

Also for some reason I decided to spend a night playing Ultima 8 with the ScummVM integration of things like selectable high resolutions, object highlights and even a minimap! I always found wandering around Tenebrae to be cozy. Got up to the sorcery bit and stopped because I can't be bothered with the outright hassle that demonic rituals are. I thought the dark side's main attraction was its cozy convenience, dammit!

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

4 hours ago, Wormerine said:

That’s quite possible to happen. That was a thing in Plague1. 

how is performance? By all accounts I hear it is rather poor. 

Smooth so far on the xXxBOxXx. There are no modes to choose from, so I can't say for sure if it's running at 30 or 60 FPS, but I've not yet had any hiccups, stutters, or noticeable frame rate drops.

• Thanks 2

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

2 hours ago, Humanoid said:

On my second attempt to play Persona 5 on my PS4 (a year or two back) I quit during the first dungeon because I was done playing for the night and couldn't find anywhere I was allowed to save.

I cleared the path to the treasure in the first dugeon. Yeah, I wish there was Dark Souls like feature where you could quite and resume where you left off. I definitely cut one of my evening sessions short after I found a save point and didn't feel I will have enough time to reach another one. I did find them to be very well paces so far, but one simply needs to reserve a decent chunk of time for each session.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Humanoid said:

On my second attempt to play Persona 5 on my PS4 (a year or two back) I quit during the first dungeon because I was done playing for the night and couldn't find anywhere I was allowed to save. 😐 Looks like that hasn't changed with Royale, but hopefully being on PC it's less inconvenient, not least because I can actually stand to game for extended sessions on PC, as opposed to an hour or so when console gaming. I assume the game is not meaningfully moddable in this regard but when I do get around to starting again I'll have a look if there are any meaningful mods at all.

Talking about Stardew Valley made me research that huge fan-made expansion a bit. Not going to commit to it just yet, but impressive that it seems to have its own comprehensive wiki just like the base game.

I don't know if the feature was added with Royal, but safe/save rooms inside dungeons are a thing.