Random video game news... may the dice be with you!

Gorth

24 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

When you drop stuff in Stalker is it lost?

It's been many years, and I don't really remember. I'm not sure if I ever tested that. Anyway, I was moving through a swamp with tall reeds in relative darkness. Going back to find the loot would have sucked even if it was still there. The game was so immersive that I wasn't really thinking game mechanics; I was thinking whatever I drop in a swamp is as good as gone.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

2 hours ago, Wormerine said:

Is it just me or does anybody else get a "creepy stare" feel from the cut scene dialogues? 3.2 seconds, people.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

9 hours ago, rjshae said:

Is it just me or does anybody else get a "creepy stare" feel from the cut scene dialogues? 3.2 seconds, people.

Yes, of course. That’s what Yahtzee calls “Bioware face”. That’s pretty much a standard in any large game attempting “cinematic” look, without focus/budget to pull it off. Bioware had it (maybe with exception of MEs), Bethesda has it, now Larian has it.

Edited by Wormerine

18 minutes ago, Wormerine said:

Yes, of course. That’s what Yahtzee calls “Bioware face”. That’s pretty much a standard in any large game attempting “cinematic” look, without focus/budget to pull it off. Bioware had it (maybe with exception of MEs), Bethesda has it, now Larian has it.

Maybe with the exception of Mass Effect? I'd have said it had the absolute classic Bioware "I'm going to eat your liver, I will do it publicly, and I don't care if anyone knows it" type facial expressions. And I'm not even talking 'my face is tired' Andromeda either.

Shepard_smile.jpg is perhaps the classic meme creepy game expression.

• Haha 1

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. memories club

Mine is very first underground with drippy walls and creaky flashing emergency light. Soldiers done, Invisible Mr. Cthulhu somehow done, found the stuff I needed to find, it seems I'm in a finish line, finally thank gods...well helllooooooo, babby's first Controller! Was some Amnesia Dark Descent levels brown pants experience.

People always say CoP's better, more polished etc. but IMO it doesn't have a quarter of Shadow's atmosphere. :no: 

• Like 4
  • Hmmm 1

2 hours ago, bugarup said:

People always say CoP's better,

Wait, who says that?  I mean, I like CoP better, but I've always thought I was very much in the minority. Plus, it's well known that I'm a weirdo with questionable taste. I mean, I like FMV games for God's sake. AFAIK SoC is still the gold standard. Even I will admit that there's nothing as tense in CoP as going into X-18 in SoC... Or the first journey to Bloodsucker Village, watching Murk's crew get killed.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

47 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

Wait, who says that?  

Internet does. :geek: I mean, on reddit or elsewhere on forums, browsing for issue solutions, mods, facebook, wherever - someone mentions Stalker and first reply is always something along the lines of "SoC is kinda diamond in the rough, CoP is where it's at, play that one!" 

3 hours ago, Keyrock said:

After 27 DLCs it will probably be a great game.

eu4 are still awful after about 100 dlc of different sizes

major overhaul like the one stellaris go through rarely happen in paradox game

so the potential of a paradox game is obvious even in day 1

3 hours ago, Sarex said:

So is Half Life 3

Still will come out before Star Citizen.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

47 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Still will come out before Star Citizen.

Aren't you at least a little afraid that Chris Roberts is going to make you his bitch? Even Duke Nukem Forever came out eventually. :p

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

45 minutes ago, majestic said:

Aren't you at least a little afraid that Chris Roberts is going to make you his bitch? Even Duke Nukem Forever came out eventually. :p

Chris Roberts did that when he got me to pay for the Wing Commander movie

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

19 hours ago, bugarup said:

Mine is very first underground with drippy walls and creaky flashing emergency light. Soldiers done, Invisible Mr. Cthulhu somehow done, found the stuff I needed to find, it seems I'm in a finish line, finally thank gods...well helllooooooo, babby's first Controller! Was some Amnesia Dark Descent levels brown pants experience.

People always say CoP's better, more polished etc. but IMO it doesn't have a quarter of Shadow's atmosphere. :no: 

CoP always felt really...sterile to me. Like I'm inside a playpen where I could screw around with all my toys to my heart's content, but nothing too exciting could ever happen because I'm still inside of the playpen. I think it's because none of the levels connected to each other (thus not feeling like an actual game world like SHoC did), the game's A-Life (what determined where NPCs and monsters could go on their own) was in its most neutered state out of all three games which lead to nothing much ever happening unless you personally caused it to happen (also nothing insane like being randomly swarmed by a veritable horde of different types of mutants in e.g. Agroprom or getting caught in some huge fight between different factions or mutants or both could ever happen), a lot of the quests and story were way over scripted (and also...just really not all that good for the most part), levels were super wide open and seemed to have an almost circus-like feel to them ("come look at this weird thing...okay, now go look at THAT weird thing!")... CoP got away from most of what I would consider to be SHoC's strengths - clearly, some people love those changes and that's O.K., but yeah, never really did it for me.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

10 hours ago, MrBrown said:

9 hours ago, kirottu said:

This feels same as Wyatt Cheng claiming you can't buy gear with real money in Diablo Immoral.

I'm sure Activision Blizzard was completely impartial in their investigation of Activision Blizzard. :shifty:

• Hmmm 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸