The All Things Movie Thread

Amentep

Regarding reviews, I think the best way to treat reviewers is to find one you like to read/listen to.  Eventually you'll get a feel for how you're interests coincide.  

quoted is how Gromnir uses reviews.  am utter baffled by folks who get their knickers in a twist o'er reviews with which they disagree.  didn't always agree with desslock game reviews but we tended to read his stuff 'cause we could use his opinions as a consistent comparative benchmark relative to our own preferences. is there any value in reviews save as a guide when deciding 'tween whether or not to purchase? lord knows we didn't like arcanum one iota more 'cause o' the plethora o' good reviews, though desslock mediocre review surprised us a bit... right up until we played arcanum.  in retrospect, am thinking desslock gave arcanum too much praise.  if Gromnir is indecisive 'bout a purchase, we will rely on reviews by professionals and acquaintances to help us resolve our dilemma. am rare seeing movies in theatres these days; a few times a year, at most.  reviews help us decide if a rare ticket purchase is warranted.  lord knows we don't use reviews to make us feel better 'bout movies we already like, or as vindication for our boredom. 

and yeah, the internet battles for the soul o' humanity fought on nerdling message boards, with rotten tomatoes scores as a measure o' victory in the ultimate battle 'tween the forces o' light and darkness, quixotic renders us both amused and disgusted, albeit in measures too insignificant to be worthy o' mention. lord knows we ain't gonna indulge in psychobabble claptrap to attempt to explain or validate yet another inane internet phenomenon. this post is the extent o' our reflexive rubberneck when passing yet another blood on the pavement moment. shame on us. mea culpa.

HA! Good fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Idrissa Akuna Elba to replace Willard Carroll Smith II in Suicide Squad 2

I liked a lot of movies that aren't great and I will leg wrestle anyone that doesn't agree that American Ninja 2 was the best American Ninja

kinda like choosing the best non-beverage item on a del taco menu at 3am?  whatever is best will still make you wish you were dead after indulging. 

full disclosure: the last ninja centric movie we voluntarily watched were the challenge.  it were pre american ninja. 

in our defense, it starred scott glenn and toshiro mifune.  

however, while it ain't a ninja movie, am gonna admit we immediate added last dragon to our netflix list as soon as it reappeared.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

And some say the Swedes are soft...

Edited by Agiel
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Regarding reviews, I think the best way to treat reviewers is to find one you like to read/listen to.  Eventually you'll get a feel for how you're interests coincide.  I didn't agree with Roger Ebert on every film, but I had read his opinion enough to know where we differed.  So while he may give a positive review to a film I wouldn't, I could read that positive review and from experience know I wouldn't like it (or vice versa with him hating a film).

Exactly how I approach reviewers. I enjoy listening to RedLetterMedia, but for the most part, our interests don't coincide even a little. That doesn't even mean that I think the things they like are garbage (I think they're often, though perhaps not always, on the money), but we by and large simply don't watch the same sort of stuff, so taking their recommendations at face value is silly when I'm not interested in whatever umpteenth Marvel movie they're mildly recommending. When they review something a little different from their usual tastes that's more to my tastes (e.g. a thriller such as Thoroughbreds, or a horror movie like the Witch) and strongly recommend it on a number of grounds that sound good/interesting to me, I take a much stronger interest in that recommendation and am much more likely to watch it. The reviewer is just as important as the thing being reviewed...probably more, actually. The problem is finding reviewers who you enjoy listening to/reading as well as can trust to be consistent and have a foundation for how they formulate their opinions (which will in turn help you approach their reviews and how to take them). There are a lot of hack frauds out there, and it can be difficult to find your very own diamond in the rough.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I think this was good write up of the movie and the controversy. Skip first 6 minutes if you aren't interested in Milwaukee or whatever it was.

• Like 2

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

OK, forget the text of this review and focus for a moment on the title: https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/captain-marvel-bitch-love-her-171100986.html

"‘Captain Marvel’ Review: Finally, a Hero I See Myself In"

Hmmm.... you know I'd like to see myself in her too!

:lol:  (yes it's immature but funny usually is)

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

:lol:

Did no one learn the lesson from Mortal Kombat?  You don't use Annihilation as a subtitle for a video game adaption!!! :p

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Here is the backstory on how Disney got into this whole remaking business.

Back in the early 2010s before the Disney remakes started, Warner Brothers were planning to remake some of the Disney animated classics into live-action films. Warner wanted to get "free rides" out of the nostalgia and popularity of Disney's animated classics, (i.e., it was free marketing and guaranteed box office.) The live-action Beauty and the Beast actually started as a WARNER BROTHERS project, before Disney even had a plan for a remake. Warner was going to make a live-action MUSICAL Beauty and the Beast, and Emma Watson was in talk with Warner to play Belle for the Warner remake. The fact that Warner was planning to make a musical was a clear sign that Warner wanted to get a free ride out of the nostalgia for and popularity of the Disney's animated film.

Here:

Of course Disney had to react. Somehow, Disney swooped in and snatched Emma Watson from Warner Brothers. Losing Emma Watson effectively stalled the Warner project. If Disney was not going to make a live-action Beauty and the Beast, then Warner would. So Disney had every incentive to do it before Warner could, and the best incentive was stop and kill the Warner project.

Disney and Warner were in a race to see which studio could make and release the live-action Beauty and the Beast first. Disney moved quicker, and Warner had to cancel its version as a result.

Another live-action remake battleground between Disney and Warner Brothers was The Jungle Book. The Warner Brother project actually started first, but Disney was able to catch up, complete and release its Jungle Book first. Disney's live-action Jungle Book pretty much killed Warner's Jungle Book and put Warner in a tough spot. In the end, Warner had to dump its Jungle Book to Netflix. So, Disney outplayed Warner again.

Universal was going to make a live-action musical version of the Little Mermaid, with Chloë Grace Moretz attached to play Aria. Again, that was before Disney started its live-action remakes. As soon as Disney got into the remake business, Universal saw what happened to Warner's Beauty and the Beast and Jungle Book. Universal knew it could not compete with Disney, so it might have already killed its Little Mermaid project.

There are a few other similar projects at other studios. You can google them.

You can google the remake battles between Disney vs. Warner to find out all the political intrigues and twists and turns.

And here is the irony:

It was the other studios that first thought of remaking Disney animated films into live action. They wanted to get "free rides" out of the nostalgia and popularity of Disney animated classics. After all, the nostalgia and popularity = free marketing and guaranteed box office. So, Disney had to act first and fast to stop Warner Brothers and other studios from stealing from Disney animated classic. Those other studios pretty much forced Disney's hand. Ironically, after Disney started the remakes, those movies have turned out to be a HUGE money makers for Disney. On the other hand: once Disney got into the remake business, all those other projects at Warner Brothers and other studios... they are all dead, dead, dead.

I know a lot of people are bashing and blaming Disney for "why is Disney remaking all its animated classics?" I would not blame Disney for it. Warner Brothers and other studios pretty much forced Disney's hand.

There is actually a lot of bad blood going on between Disney and Warner Brothers right now.  I've heard that Zachary Levi (who plays the other Captain Marvel in the upcoming SHAZAM in the DC cinematic universe) actually wanted to show support for Brie Larson over the Captain Marvel controversy by attending the premiere of Captain Marvel.  However, Warner Brothers pretty much told Levi, NO.

Edited by ktchong

[ new Doom movie trailer ]

:lol:

Sounds like a fine idea! Because that first/original Doom movie worked so well....oh wait. :getlost: 

And yeah, it does look like a cheap SyFy film or something, heh.

[ new Aladdin trailer ]

I still think Will Smith is horribly miscast but I grudgingly admit it can be hard to tell from 5 second soundbytes.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

saw the latest Predator, well it was even more dissapointing than I expected

• Like 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"