The All Things Movie Thread

Amentep

Personally I'm really burnt out on Marvel, and the only reason I want to see End Game is because the Russo Brothers are the only ones really making entries that I like. Plus the characters are well established and I want to see an ending. Captain Marvel could be great, but I really feel like I'd only see it to be prepared for End Game, not because I want to buy into Phase 4 and beyond.

I stop watching Marvel movies after Civil War, I was just so burned out from the whole MCU experience at that point.

I think the MCU's been killing it lately. Spider-Man: Homecoming, Thor: Ragnarok and Avengers: Infinity War are probably the three best films in the franchise thus far, with maybe Guardians added somewhere in the mix.

• Like 2

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

I'm big into every film the Russo brothers have made, so Civil War is one of the high points to me. But I can't deny that it was sort of a closing of a chapter. In other words it killed the momentum of the Avenger's. It was basically Avenger's 2.5 anyways.

Yeah, I agree since then the best films are what Algroth said. I also think the Ant-Man films are really entertaining films that reminds me of the Raimi Spider-Mans a bit. Basically semi-pre-MCU super hero flicks.

Anyways Infinity War was top notch, but it's hard for me to Imagine caring much about the series going forward. Guardians 2 had a few of the best scenes (blue dad moments) but otherwise I thought it was a terrible film. Characters are still fine, just I tend to judge films on their final acts and that one sucked.

• Like 1

Captain Marvel

I really liked it, but it still falls into the realm of movies I'm not sure I'll watch a second time. Still in the top half of the MCU, though.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Captain Marvel

I really liked it, but it still falls into the realm of movies I'm not sure I'll watch a second time. Still in the top half of the MCU, though.

An amusing easter egg: most people are talking about how Captain Marvel is being released on International Women's Day and so on, but there's another date it's paying homage to, which is the 25th anniversary to NIN's The Downward Spiral (released March 8, 1994).

• Like 1

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

I have often felt like (even before the MCU existed) that comic/superhero (and most epic/action-y fantasy or alternate universes really) movies have this tendency to start strong/entertaining and end poorly. There's exceptions and it varies in degree but overall I mean. Even Ironman, which is my MCU favorite still, the ending falls apart. It's like when you have such stakes and people with superpowers, it's hard to find a way to end conflicts without becoming  too absurd or over the top or maybe the writers just write themselves into corners. I don't know.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

There's really only one direct tie, a mid credit sequence which will probably be in Endgame.

My guess is that you don't need to see it for endgame.

That said I liked it pretty well, personally.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

So there is a "culture war" over Captain Marvel.  The alt-right trolls and incels have been calling for the boycott of Captain Marvel.  If the movie will break $1 billion at the box office. If it does, the alt-right and incel trolls will lose. If it does not, the feminists and social justice warriors will lose. That is the battleground: the $1 billion mark.

I did like the first half of Captain Marvel. I was genuinely surprised. "Could the internet hate-machine really be this wrong?" I thought to myself. Turns out they weren't. The latter half made it almost the worst Marvel movie. There can be no payback without struggle and couple of minutes of struggle doesn't count for ****.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

So there is a "culture war" over Captain Marvel. The alt-right trolls and incels have been calling for the boycott of Captain Marvel. If the movie will break $1 billion at the box office. If it does, the alt-right and incel trolls will lose. If it does not, the feminists and social justice warriors will lose. That is the battleground: the $1 billion mark.

Who is expecting this movie to make a billion dollars? This feminism nontroversy is ridiculous but what on earth is that number based on? 800 million seems like best case scenario. If this movie makes more than that, it could only be if that "boycott" backfires spectacularly.

L0L 'alt right trolls and incels'. l0l

P.S. It is a Marvel film. They all make tons of money. I wouldn't rule out a billion dollars. 

Someone should tell Larson, btw, that her film's success is owed to men. Without them, it would not be doing so well. The moment she decided to star in a comic film she needed men to support it. :p

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

So there is a "culture war" over Captain Marvel. The alt-right trolls and incels have been calling for the boycott of Captain Marvel. If the movie will break $1 billion at the box office. If it does, the alt-right and incel trolls will lose. If it does not, the feminists and social justice warriors will lose. That is the battleground: the $1 billion mark.

Who is expecting this movie to make a billion dollars? This feminism nontroversy is ridiculous but what on earth is that number based on? 800 million seems like best case scenario. If this movie makes more than that, it could only be if that "boycott" backfires spectacularly.

The alt-right trolls, deplorables and incels picked the $1-billion mark because they thought Captain Marvel had no chance of reaching $1 billion, and because $1 billion has become the new measure of success for solo superhero movies after both Black Panther and Aquaman made $1 billion in the past year.

Captain Marvel has just made $153 million in the U.S. and $455 million worldwide on opening weekend.  Every movie that made over $400 million on opening week went on to make over $1 billion. That means, by looking at the opening weekend numbers, Captain Marvel is pretty much guaranteed to make over $1 billion at the box office even if it suffers serious weekly box office drops.

So, the alt-right trolls, deplorables and incels who called for the boycott of Captain Marvel have already lost this round of culture war over Captain Marvel.  They saw the early box office results.  They saw the writing on the wall.  So right now they are scrambling to move the goal post and change the narrative even as we speak:

"The movie made money only because of white men!"

"The second-week drop will be huge, over 60% drop, because the movie is still bad and people hate it!"

"The audience/user scores on IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes are so low, which shows that audiences hate the movie!"  (Nevermind that everyone knows how easily audiences/user scores on those websites can be so easily manipulated, and that the best indicators of audience ratings for movies are the CinemaScore live audience polls, and Captain Marvel got the rare "A" CinemaScore.)

"Captain Marvel may make $1 billion but it has killed the MCU, and future MCU movies will pay the price!  The next MCU movie will bomb at the box office, just like what happened to Solo after The Last Jedi!"  (So... Avengers: Endgame will bomb?  The one that could potentially make $2 billion worldwide?) "No, not Endgame, but the next one after Endgame!"  (Spider-man: Far from Home?  I think people are eager to see another Spider-man movie after the Spider-verse.) "No, not Spider-man either... the next one!"  (Um, yeah, whatever... MCU will be taking a full year off after Endgame, there is no MCU movie currently in production right now, so there won't be a "next" MCU movie for a whole year.)

Those alt-right trolls, incels and deplorables are so triggered by the box office results of Captain Marvel that it is comical.

I have not seen the "it is doing so well only because Disney bought 50% of all the tickets for opening weekend!" - i.e., the dumbest excuse that was used by the  alt-right trolls, incels and deplorables for Black Panther when that boycott failed, but I expect that one is coming when the second-week box office is less  than they are praying for.

Edited by ktchong

455 million? I stand corrected. That's going to get to the billion mark.

Having a little chuckle at it already beating out Alita. Looks like #AlitaChallenge was a bust. Not that I have anything against that movie, I haven't seen it. The trailers creep me out tbh.

• Like 1

I really don't get the "not only do I dislike this film/actor/director/producer, I want to see it/them actively fail and shall expend untold amounts of energy on the internet arguing to make it happen" mentality.

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

The repeated use of the same troll-bait makes me belly laugh. *slow clap* What are the "alt-right trolls, incels and deplorables" upset about?

Personally I was a little disappointed when I saw that shot of Ms. Larson's tragically flat butt, but I think that falls under the male gaze umbrella?