The All Things Movie Thread

Amentep

Last night, Disney rehired James Gunn for Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. III.

Been watching alt-right personalities and trolls on YouTube after Disney rehired James Gunn. The alt-right, desplorables and incels are literally losing their sh1ts right now.  This is almost as much fun as watching the alt-right, deplorables and incels losinig their sh!ts right after the mid-term elections.   It was them who wanted to destroy James Gunn because he was a huge and frequent critic of Donald Trump,  so they dug up his old tweets to get him fired. The alt-right celebrated a huge victory  when James Gunn was fired, they thought they had struck him down, but he has returned more powerful than before. 

James Gunn will direct DCEU's Suicide Squad II for Warner Brothers (a deal he made during the time he was "fired" by Disney) and then MCU's Guardians of the Galaxy 3 for Disney.  He is the ONLY director who will have directed BOTH a DCEU movie and a MCU movie.  And now people are saying BOTH Warner Brothers and Disney might offer him a permanent position in DCEU and MCU:  Warner Brothers want Gunn to also direct a Superman reboot and become the new head of a "rebooted" DCEU, and MCU want him to work with Kevin Feigi be in charge of the "Cosmic MCU" and X-Men properties  that Disney had recently acquired from Fox.

So, getting James Gunn fired has totally backfired on the alt-right, deplorables and incels.

They also wanted Captain Marvel to fail and praying for the movie to have the worst second-weekend box office dropoff and the worst leg... and early weekend box office (based on Friday and Saturday) seems to suggest Captain Marvel will have pretty normal second weekend drop (about 52 to 55%) and good leg. Should be interesting to see alt-right losing their sh!ts even more early next week when the weekend box office numbers come in.

I predict the alt-right trolls, deplorables and incels will declare an all-out total war on Disney over James Gunn and Captain Marvel. They will have like, a dozen different boycotts and a few dozen different conspiracy theories every year over MCU and Star Wars. It will be a fun ride.

Edited by ktchong

The alt-right trolls, deplorables and incels who called for a boycott - and a culture war - over Captain Marvel (as well as over James Gunn) are also the same group of people who support Donald Trump. In the past, those vermin knew their bigotry, misogyny, racism and xenophobia were unpopular, so they hid in their closets. During Trump's presidential campaign and after his election victory in 2016, they felt emboldened and empowered. So they all crawled out of their moms' basements to become a unified social and political force.

We want to beat back the alt-right trolls, deplorables and incels, to beat them back into their closets and basements. We want to demoralize them. Why do we want to beat them back into the closets and basements instead of trying to try to show them the "light" and convert them to the "light side""?

At any given moment, between 30 to 40 percent of the any given population in an industrial or post-industrial nation are right-wingers, i.e., only about 30-something percent of Germans supported Nazism just before World War II, but their strength came from their unity - and the political antipathy of the rest of the population. That 30 percent was enough to take over Germany - because they were unified and organized, while the rest of the population had become complacent and political antipathetic. This pattern has repeated over and over again in modern history of how right-wingers were able to take over a country.

We can't persuade them. We can't reason with them. We can't change them. We can't covert them. The best we can do is to (a) demoralize them, to beat them back into the closets and basements, so that they can't unite and unify into an empowered social and political force, (b) get the rest of the population to engage in social and political activism, because the extreme right is always outnumbered by the masses; right-wing rises only when everyone else has become socially and politically antipathetic.

Basically, right-wingers will always exist as a one-third minority in any modern society, (another one-third in the various spectrum in the middle, and another one-third in the far left.) The problem of the the alt-right and far-right has become even bigger in America: as the nationalistic right has risen, even the "moderate" right has been forced to move to the further right out of party loyalty, tribalism and intimidation. We want to keep the far-right in-checked and marginalized so they can never become a persistent threat to anyone and everyone else. IMO if we can demoralize and marginalize them enough, their unity and strength will be broken.

My feelings towards the alt-right trolls/incels and feminists/SJW is similar to how Beorn in the Hobbit felt about dwarves and orcs: he disliked dwarves but he hated orcs even more, so he helped the dwarves against orcs. I dislike modern feminists and SJW, but I hate the alt-right trolls, incels, Trump supporters even more. That is why why I want Captain Marvel to win. That is why I am so happy that James Gunn is rehired even though I did not even particularly enjoyed Guardians of the Galaxy 1 and 2 all that much. The alt-right trolls, deplorables and incels need to suffer one defeat and humiliation after another, so that they will be beaten back and crawl back into their moms' basements and hide/stay there.

Edited by ktchong

Jesus Christ, what's with all these political labels and epithets to describe the narrative of what happened to James Gunn???

Was it alt-right trolls who dug up old tweets initially? It's plausible. But other than being a curiously of the past revisited, it took a certain predicable reaction that was trivial to elicit to complete their troll. if that was a concocted 4chan style raid, then that admits it takes two to tango. In the end, it was in the progressive camp where all the real footwork was done to Gunn. They were happy to ignore context and sacrifice a decent person to further themselves in their own echo-chambers. All I can remember were reasonable independent voices defending Gunn and being labeled as alt-right for it.

All the more interesting that WB's immediately picked him up for SS:2. Just goes to show that even in the circles that mattered, people knew how phony this whole thing was as it was unfolding.

Either a powerful committee at Disney was rotted beyond the pale, or Disney was so self-aware and scared of being on the wrong side of a temporary narrative that they had to do the right thing "in the narrative" before they could do the objective right thing. Now it seems they are trying to retcon the initial narrative entirely, but it still comes back to Disney and progressive media having been responsible for the firing. Not some alt-right trolls if they even were the one's cry wolf.

The alt right trolls didn't fire him. That was Disney. Yet, you are making it alla bout make believe people on the net like they have the power.

On the one hand you mock them over their 'faulure' at making Captain marvel bomb. which was watched by a huge number of white men FYI.

Yet, they didn't have the power to mistake a movie bomb but they had the power tog et Disney who loathes those types to fire their prize director.

No, it was SJW Nazis who got Gunn fired. They overreacted to bad words like they usually do. The 'fact' that some 'al right trolls' used the left political nonsense against them is what makes it hilarious.

P.S. I always believe the Gunn thing was ridiculous. I can't believe (outside of money) that he'd agree to go back to Disney aftet they treated him like garbage.  Why would one want to work for bosses who already treated you poorly?  Money does buy forgivnance. LMAO

P.S. Alkt right trolls *are* SJW Nazis. They're the same folks. Both groups are wannabe slaver, controllers, and Nazi.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Super Troopers 2 - Pretty funny, about on par with the original. The Mounties were fantastic.

Also I'm thankful that certain posters use bold fonts, because I find it easier to skip over that way. Why are you guys reading those rants? Pretty sure it's getting copy and pasted onto a bunch of other forums, as well.

Was it alt-right trolls who dug up old tweets initially? It's plausible. But other than being a curiously of the past revisited, it took a certain predicable reaction that was trivial to elicit to complete their troll. if that was a concocted 4chan style raid, then that admits it takes two to tango. In the end, it was in the progressive camp where all the real footwork was done to Gunn. They were happy to ignore context and sacrifice a decent person to further themselves in their own echo-chambers. All I can remember were reasonable independent voices defending Gunn and being labeled as alt-right for it.

Actually ktchong is right on this one for once. What happened to James Gunn initially was a smear campaign following his anti-Trump tweets, at the hands of Mike Cernovich in particular who was the one to first bring up these older tweets to light. His followers and the alt-right in general was very quick to get on board with the pretend outrage and make of obviously satirical tweets a more earnest or revelatory declaration so as to push the notion that Gunn and the alleged "SJW/progressive" crowd were just being hypocrites and so on, and reacted much in the same fashion towards the defense Gunn got from the opposing side. Regardless this was very much a vindictive political campaign against him, thinly veiled as moral outrage from the part of Cernovich, his supporters and the conservative crowd who quickly got on board.

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

Well I believe that, but what's the point in Disney acquiescing to alt-right trolls?

Their is this weird "captive" mentality, that when ever "leftist" outrage ensues, that it must be met with an actionable response. So it happens even under the guise of faked "SJW outrage." Clearly Disney fixed their mistake, and obviously weren't the only ones taken for a ride by the guise. But they still pandered to something that they could fact check themselves. Is it the awful media pressure that was put on Disney by lazy journalism that reported the trolls as if they were real progressive voices? What of the progressives that joined in witch hunt?

I just say this, because I don't want to see the liberals become reactionary, and be taken for a ride by the opposing side at a moments notice. Especially when it has real world consequences. A film director being moved off a project is not the end of the world, but that same behavior can act out in other ways. Obviously the right-wing constituents can be rallied in an equally fanatical way, so maybe I'm just complaining about dummies and human nature. But you'd still expect the leadership of Disney to be able to slow down and work through the situation separate from the media hysteria.

And, the elft jumped on it too unless you are claiming Disney is an 'alt right' organization? L0L I saw a lot of lefties defending Disney for firing him while many on the right wer e'rightly' mocking them. Personally, he should have never been fired and outside of money why would he go back to work for a company that treated him like ****? He should sue them for defamation of character, a poor working environment, bullying, and harassment.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Well I believe that, but what's the point in Disney acquiescing to alt-right trolls?

Disney's a company and one that is deeply associated with family-oriented entertainment, their image and brand is a primary concern of theirs and when someone working under them is getting the spotlight over comments on paedophilia, rape and so on, be they in jest or otherwise, that may be enough for them to want to disassociate themselves with that person for the sake of the brand. I believe (actually I kinda *know*, since I've seen the same things occur before on a smaller scale, with people who could never have the widespread support a public figure like Gunn garnered) similar things could occur if any other company started getting flack due to a floor manager making similar crass and potentially misguided tweets, or even falling victim of malicious pranks that could harm the company's image (to go back to the previous example, my friend in question got doxxed by a troll in another forum, and he and a couple of others began sending hookers to his workplace - curiously these same trolls were alt-right and persecuted this person for being the "resident communist"). The thing is that there were very specific intentions behind the smear campaign against Gunn and therefore to essentially follow "standard protocol" was, as you put it, to "acquiesce to alt-right trolls", and what eventually resulted in a backlash against Disney and Gunn's eventual reinstating and so on.

Ultimately a lot of people forget that Disney is first and foremost a company. As former Disney CEO Michael Eisner put it: "We have no obligation to make history. We have no obligation to make art. We have no obligation to make a statement. To make money is our only objective." Sometimes 'making money' goes hand in hand with a statement or what others may interpret as a political leaning, with making art, or "making history", but ultimately all these things are entirely secondary. Disney is a company and behaved like one - in face of this 'scandal' they protected their own interests as they thought best, and that meant getting rid of the object of said scandal. But it does not take away from the fact that the provokers *were* politically motivated, and I don't believe acknowledging that is a problem - in fact it's pretty important to do so.

• Like 2

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

What pisses me off about all this is how opaque the origins of this controversy were to me as it was happening. And this was a rather innocuous controversy in the grand scheme of things. Revelations like this make me think I'd be better off not following the public sphere at all and just focusing on myself 99% of the time.

Why invest the effort when you can't be sure you have all the facts. Just because I can derive a sensible position from what seems to be the situation doesn't mean that's the actual situation. Which makes my position worthless. Do I just not spend the effort to take a position?Not taking a position means I'm hearing the position of others who also might not have all the facts, meaning as time goes on all you'll remember were the bits of punditry. You unconscious will still work on some implication, and you might not even remember your healthy skepticism towards the pundits you had before time passed. There is no sense in letting yourself be sucked out by the rip tides of social hysteria and troll propaganda.

So why not just walk away from it all? If ever you encounter something that you actually need to be responsible for, then you'll either have the facts necessary to understand the situation or it's actually worthwhile to invest the effort to do the hard work. \

The ever-shifting narratives and goal posts of the alt-right deplorables/incels/trolls:

• "It was never us that wanted James Gunn fired... it was the SJW!"

• "I'm fine with Disney rehiring James Gunn, but it proves Disney cares more about money than morals and values!"

And that was coming from the huge Trump supporter: apparently the morals and values of the PRESIDENT do not matter to him - i.e., the President who was supposed to be the moral leader of the country. Yet the morals and values of a movie DIRECTOR and a CORPORATION all of the sudden "bothered" him: Link - oh boy does he sound extra salty in the video.

Movieweb - Dune remake starts shooting, synopsis released

A mythic and emotionally charged hero's journey, Dune tells the story of Paul Atreides, a brilliant and gifted young man born into a great destiny beyond his understanding, who must travel to the most dangerous planet in the universe to ensure the future of his family and his people. As malevolent forces explode into conflict over the planet's exclusive supply of the most precious resource in existence-a commodity capable of unlocking humanity's greatest potential-only those who can conquer their fear will survive.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Wow ktchong you are just obsessed with this s--t. 

• Like 3

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

y'know, all the noise 'bout captain marvel has been deafening.  the problem for us is it is difficult to find a review which ain't talking 'bout the tempest in a teacup controversy. other reviewers has specific stated such stuff such, "As a space opera I’m not sure Captain Marvel ranks alongside the best examples of the genre, but as a debut vehicle for a female comic-book hero it scores a lot of points."  

is not that we don't care 'bout women in movies, but apparently we don't care enough 'bout women in movies to see a mediocre film as anything other than mediocre just 'cause is advancing positive female role-models.  what we wanna see and applaud is a good movie which also happens to advance positive female role-models. maybe that makes us sexist or misogynistic or insensitive.  dunno.  regardless, am less concerned 'bout gender advocacy than entertainment value.

as far as relative recent superhero movies is concerned, we liked spider-man: homecoming, thor: ragnarok, and the first guardians of the galaxy, the dark knight, and spider-man 2.  just behind those movies, we liked logan (am a bit ambivalent 'bout logan and would rate in top tier save for fact that at times we felt like we were watching a remake o' mad max beyond thunderdome,) the first avengers and deadpool, with second avengers (infinity war would be slight higher save for a few seeming plot holes which may be resolved next film and the mind boggling stoopidity o' thanos' grand scheme,) black panther and captain america: winter soldier almost imperceptible behind. is a bunch o' decent superhero films immediate behind those films which we liked, but had more than a couple criticisms, including, but not limited to, dr. strange, the dark knight rises, and wonder woman.

terrible superhero films for us is including such infamous selections as batman and robin, superman: the quest for peace and the amazing spider-man 2. keep in mind, we never actual saw steel, catwoman, or fantastic four (2015.) 

so, if folks is able to ignore the political ack jassery surrounding the film, would any such individuals hazard a guess as to where captain marvel fits on our admitted suspect superhero movie continuum? 

and not as if anybody needs permission, but feel free to criticize our superhero movie scale.  

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Meh. I'll see it when it comes on HBO or something. Of course I could say the same about any other movie too. The nearest movie theater to me is a hour away.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell