What You Did Today

Tale

Went nine deep. Don't have any skin in the game but those penalties were nerve-wrecking.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Wimin...

"I'm so glad there haven't been any real attempt by anyone to hit on anyone in our dance class. It is nice we all approach each other as friends."

OK, I got it. You aren't interested. Not sure why we are sitting at a lone table by ourselves while everyone else has buggered off to the other side of the dance floor. But OK, you are happy we are just friends. I can respect that.

"Let's go say goodbye to the others before we leave."

Wait just a minute. Make up your mind girl, either we are just friends or there is a we. You don't get both.

le sigh.

• Like 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

I can't get drunk, I spent all my beer money on pants. Lucky Brand knows I'm a loyal, degenerate denim floozy with no self-control against a sale thirty-cents on the dollar. I got two pair 181 Relaxed Straight, one 410 Athletic Fit, and a 367 Vintage Boot.

• Like 3

All Stop. On Screen.

I tried to create a thread topic and nothing happened.

It's an anti-bot measure. The first handful posts needs manual approval and new people can only queue 5 posts. After that, people can create threads and posts once we are convinced it's a real human ;)

• Like 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Have some pictures from the Great Smoky Mountains.  Sadly, it didn't rain so I didn't get to see the bluish looking fog that forms after rain that looks sort of like smoke, which gave the region its name.

1lE0H38.jpg

sxT3LUB.jpg

OptCJzA.jpg

hlNJgBG.jpg

VvBllMe.jpg

JvcLupe.jpg

q1eSotU.jpg

eUhh423.jpg

As an aside, I'm happy to report that I'm not as out of shape as I had feared.  I made the half-mile, rather steep hike up to the tower at the top of Clingman's Dome without any trouble and no stops along the way.

• Like 9

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I can't get drunk, I spent all my beer money on pants. Lucky Brand knows I'm a loyal, degenerate denim floozy with no self-control against a sale thirty-cents on the dollar. I got two pair 181 Relaxed Straight, one 410 Athletic Fit, and a 367 Vintage Boot.

i on the other hand can't get drunk because i have a very high resistance to any mind altering substance... i have tried several times to get drunk and the biggest attempt was when i was 16 during a school trip in the hotel we were staying through a mix of 5 cans of beer, half a bottle of wine, several shots of vodka, 2 glasses of whisky and a .5L bottle of a local specialty that i don't remember how it was called but it was stronger than wine and very sweet so we drank it like water. i ended up being one of the 3 people who were not wasted and had to drag the rest of our classmates to their rooms. the result of any amount of drinking i did, always was that i just felt sleepy but i never developed any of the common symptoms of drunkenness like change of mood, being unable to walk straight, vomiting and so on.

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

I was going to go the the VFW for the Independence Day celebration. It started at 4. So I was sitting in my rocking chair on the porch sipping iced tea and listening to the Rays vs. Angels game on my XM Radio. The game was close, I was into it so when the time came to get changed and go it seemed like such a hassle. So I poured a different kind of drink, iced tea, lemonade, and a little bourbon. Just a little. That tasted really good. Then that game went off and the Marlins vs. Mets came on so I made another, then another. Next thing I know it's pitch dark. The Marlins lost, I ran out of lemonade and it's time to go to bed anyway. 

It wasn't what I intended to do today but it was a great day all the same. Happy Birthday USA.

• Like 3

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I was going to go the the VFW for the Independence Day celebration. It started at 4. So I was sitting in my rocking chair on the porch sipping iced tea and listening to the Rays vs. Angels game on my XM Radio. The game was close, I was into it so when the time came to get changed and go it seemed like such a hassle. So I poured a different kind of drink, iced tea, lemonade, and a little bourbon. Just a little. That tasted really good. Then that game went off and the Marlins vs. Mets came on so I made another, then another. Next thing I know it's pitch dark. The Marlins lost, I ran out of lemonade and it's time to go to bed anyway. 

It wasn't what I intended to do today but it was a great day all the same. Happy Birthday USA.

It sounded ideal actually, sometimes you have a certain plan but change it and its still  fun and fulfilled  8)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I tried to create a thread topic and nothing happened.

It's an anti-bot measure. The first handful posts needs manual approval and new people can only queue 5 posts. After that, people can create threads and posts once we are convinced it's a real human ;)

I guess this puts out my theory that 2/3rds of the board are bot-alts of other posters... :p

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Well, I mean, theoretically, if the alt-bots were written well enough, moderators deciding whether or not to approve posts wouldn't probably check stuff like IP address the vast majority of the time, so really, they still could be... :p

For examplA problem has been detected and BOT21-BARTIMAEUS has been shut down. If this is the first time you've seen this error, restart the program. If this error appears again, please contact your system administrator or the technical support group for further assistance.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

We don't mind bots, it just keeps you guys from ever seeing all the passports and driver's licenses people want to sell here. Not sure why they think you guys are a good market for illegal documents but at this point I'm pretty sure all of you have fake diplomas, it's the only way I can make sense of it.

Applied for two positions within the company in Portland Oregon. Don't want to go back to Cali all things considered, and always wanted to live in Portlandia again, even though everyone is telling me "Oh, boy, it's changed don'tchaknow! Soo many moore people!"

At work I'm doomed tomorrow unless I get a PHENOMINAL head start on cleaning cars.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Today I tried to figure how many dog days are equal to one human day. Seven dog years to one people year, but seven days to one doesn't sound right. My calculator was no help. I did it because last night some neighbor set off an hour's worth of explosions and July 4th for dogs is SCARY LOUD NEVER ENDING BOOM day. Pretty sure fireworks are illegal here. 

All Stop. On Screen.

Today I tried to figure how many dog days are equal to one human day. Seven dog years to one people year, but seven days to one doesn't sound right. My calculator was no help. I did it because last night some neighbor set off an hour's worth of explosions and July 4th for dogs is SCARY LOUD NEVER ENDING BOOM day. Pretty sure fireworks are illegal here. 

The average life expectancy of a larger breed like a great dane vs a smaller one like a beagle is pretty different...in fact, according to wikipedia, it's up to double for the beagle. So do you just say, "Yeah, great danes have a life expectancy of like 50 years, while beagles are a little over 100"? Why even use such an arbitrary conversion rate when it doesn't even account for the wildly different breed-specific differences?

...And anyways, a year is supposed to be (approximately) one orbit of the planet around the sun, so in my books, dog years are exactly the same as people years unless said dog is living on Mars or something... :p

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

Speaking of mans best friend my Fido is ill, off his food, losing weight and listless. Taking him to the Vets in half an hour to get some tests run, hoping for the best, fearing the worst.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Hope he's alright. One of ours is ill again, had to get some cells taken from a lymph node. Too hot to walk them very far as well lately, so that sucks.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Sounds serious, best of luck to your companion Malcador.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Nonek & Malc I hope both your pups get better.

I made an offer on a townhouse in Bartlett, TN last week. The offer was accepted today. It's 900 sq' but needs some work. I offered $60k for it and they countered with $72k and I told them no thanks. Today they accepted $60k. I wasn't trying to be a hardass. $12k was the biggest down payment I could come up with.

I'm going to be busy for a time fixing it up. The carpet is shot, bathroom tile is cracked, needs drywall work, new counter tops, and some minor carpentry. I think I can do most of the work myself.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I'm going to be busy for a time fixing it up. The carpet is shot, bathroom tile is cracked, needs drywall work, new counter tops, and some minor carpentry. I think I can do most of the work myself.

well, if you can't do the work now, chances are that after the next few months o' mastic hell, you will.  have fun.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Speaking of health and hell, I attended my sister's funeral today.

God I hate tiling... so is this going to be a rental property for you? Quick flip?

The market is a little depressed right now. If I can turn it over I'd consider it but I'm probably going to have to rent it. I've opted not to carry an escrow so the mortgage payment is only $600 and change. Comparable properties are renting between $900 & $1100 so i should be able to cover all the expenses. 

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell