What You Did Today

Tale

I woke up to the sound a Sunny barking like crazy and a hell of a racket going on outside. A fox tried getting in the rabbit enclosure and got stuck in the gate. The rabbits were in their house but if the fox got in it would have been bad news. I walked over with the SR-22 pistol I keep hidden on the back porch and I was going to "take care" of the fox. But it made eye contact with me and looked so desperate I ended up pinning it's neck to the ground so it couldn't bite me and cutting the fence wire to free it and let it go. Tomorrow I'll reinforce the fence.

I'm getting soft in my old age.

I love the concealed porch weapon.  8)

I'd probably keep a melee weapon in a discreet place, too. A good framing hammer will do a lot of damage.*

*I mean against zombies or humans, not foxes

I have a firearm concealed in every room and space. For real. You never know!

true enough. having lived in a rural part o' the US, am familiar with "never know."  you never know when a rabid ninja raccoon will break into your home looking for your wife's shoes.  oh sure, you immediate thought the racoon were male.  bruce would be disappointed. you never know when a rabid ninja racoon will wanna look pretty, yes? and you never know when white-tailed commando, sick beyond sanity from you dog's constant barking, will break into your newly renovated florida room and plant a splayed hoof right between the canine's shocked eyes.  sure, statistically you and your family is far more likely to be injured or killed by one o' your own firearms, but you never know when genetic enhanced black bears will escape from the secret government facility that is located only a few miles away from your house.  the bears, bent on revenge and world domination, will no doubt be hungry after their long incarceration, and gd's fruit loops will drive the ursine super brains mad with desire.  you never know.

as an aside, given the current Congressional shenanigans, we is being asked by our aclu colleagues to aid with a challenge to the No Fly List.

https://www.aclu.org/infographic/grounded-life-no-fly-list

https://www.aclu.org/blog/speak-freely/until-no-fly-list-fixed-it-shouldnt-be-used-restrict-peoples-freedoms

am very much disappointed Congress and the President keep using the No Fly List as a cornerstone o' their new gun control legislations.  

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Hey any bears that want MY fruit loops better be packing more than genetically enhanced claws! Although I have had some trouble with the wildlife in the past I'm more concerned about two legged threats. I'm a good 20-30 minutes from any kind of police assistance and my property shares it's longest border with the Anderson-Tully Wildlife Management Area which, of course, is public land. Now I'm a long was from any vehicle access point in Tully but there have been two occasions in the past few years I've had to ask armed hunters from Tully to kindly get off my property. That's why I fenced the whole thing off a year ago. And since I'm separated from my wife and living alone I'd say the odds of me being hurt by one of my own firearms is a gnat hair fraction above zero.

I realize you and I disagree on the motives and intent of the pro gun control crowd in Washington but I'm glad to see where you stand on using the arbitrary and secretive no fly list as a back door to circumventing due process. It's hard to say which SCOTUS decision upsets the left more Citizens United or Heller. But whenever government "wants" are thwarted to defend individual liberty those so called champions of liberty on the left get angry and look for a different method of extending control. A notable exception being Justice Sotomayor's outstanding defense of the 4th Amendment in a losing case a few days ago.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Thinking of getting a netbook so I can join the ranks of people hanging out in coffee shops doing stuff on their laptops.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Just got home. I'm off work until 7/5 (or 5/7 depending on where you are). Tonight I'm going to grill a turkey burger, sit in the rocking chair on the back porch with Pink Floyd blasting at a concert level volume and drink a LOT. The nice thing about living in the middle of nowhere is doing whatever the heck you want and no one is around to complain.

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Being in the middle of nowhere means nothing on the internet.  But as long as you're not blasting anything from The Final Cut, I won't complain.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

While my neighbours are decidedly closer, I can still pump up the volume while looking at the sunset! It's awesome, and I have a lake really close by :)  But not today, the weather is ****, I feel like ****, having worked with a fever and I've been annoyed at all the lazy bastards at work.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Being in the middle of nowhere means nothing on the internet.  But as long as you're not blasting anything from The Final Cut, I won't complain.

Nah. started with the Dark Side of the Moon, finished with Meddle & Division Bell.

Thomas Sowell

"he collected the gratitude of the smurfs, the love of his princess fair, and the friendship of his dead bear companion and put it all into his final swing"...

I think the world lost a poet somewhere there Gromnir :)

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

"he collected the gratitude of the smurfs, the love of his princess fair, and the friendship of his dead bear companion and put it all into his final swing"...

That was pretty cool. I could use that hammer too.

Thomas Sowell

That was pretty cool. I could use that hammer too.

ginsberg, that old letch, grabbed our arse. almost twenty years ago? were more than a bit embarrassing.  our shock resulted in a most unmanly display as we reacted similar as does the typical cat when a vacuum cleaner is fired up in the same room. am thankful that ginsberg's residual poetry no doubt dissipated quickly. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

There are worse guilty pleasures than Allen Ginsburg. Heck a few years ago I was fascinated by the story in a teen romance novel. Not Twilight. I'd never admit to that!

Thomas Sowell

T-minus 1 day until the big summer trip.  We are heading up to Idaho, Yellowstone, South Dakota, and then down into Denver before we head back home.  I've been packing the RV for days, I would have hit the road earlier but we needed to wait for my daughter's summer camp to end.

As luck would have it, I poured the last beer in the keg tonight, so I've started in on the cleaning process.  That way it will be ready for a new keg when we get home.  Cleaning out the lines is crazy, I always find some new way to make a mess. 

• Like 3

am not wanting to put a damper on hurl's trip before you even begin, but am hopeful you consider the cultural implications if you is planning a trip to the black hills (and particular mount rushmore) while you visit south dakota.  am recalling that you were quite moved when visiting the mlk and civil rights museums on your tour o' the south, yes?  all am asking is you consider the significance o' rushmore when you visit, 'cause is no modern parallel we can provide.

imagine if after years o' fighting, israel and the arab world formalize a treaty.  as part o' the deal, the arabs demilitarize. peace lasts for 'bout five minutes and then the israelis break the treaty and invade. part o' the new israeli occupation includes razing of mecca to take advantage o' mineral resources found on the site.  the masjid al-harām is leveled and in its place is constructed a granite monolith depicting david ben gurion and moshe dayan.

is not as if hurl and his family built rushmore or took the black hills from the lakota. is folks who might wanna try and makes you feel guilty 'bout what happened way backs in the post civil war years. not Gromnir.  that being said, while we can understand the pride one must feel as an American looking up at rushmore, we do hope you consider just what mt. rushmore means to the lakota. the monument is magnificent, but is also degradation and insult that just ain't possible to forget. if any lakota is still alive 100 generations from today, they is still gonna recall rushmore very different than we suspect will hurl and his family.

a moment's reflection is all we would ask of you.

• Like 3

Hurl before you go if you want to read an excellent history of some of the places you will drive through I'd suggest giving this a look: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BSAZ614/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

I read that last year and thoroughly enjoyed it. Although the narrative is mainly about Red Cloud and the fight over the Powder River Country there is a lot of information on the land and the history and aftermath of the events of the book. One of the central parts pf the book Ft. Phil Kearney can still be visited today I understand. It's little more than a ruin and a walk from the highway to see it but if you're so inclined it wouldn't be hard to find out about. 

Gromnir, if you have any suggestions of other books that do good service to the history of the Lakota and the great plains in general I'd love to hear them.

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

https://www.amazon.com/American-Stories-Legends-Writings-Classics/dp/0142437093/ref=pd_sim_14_8?ie=UTF8&dpID=51ykkBk6J7L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR102%2C160_&psc=1&refRID=9SR4BMBVKAAN5ZW7SRJY

is not a history book, but am gonna recommend it for the cultural perspective it affords the reader.  w/o a written language, the lakota were predictably terrible historians, but they produced many fine storytellers. 

along similar lines, we can recommend the following author:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=dp_byline_sr_book_1?ie=UTF8&text=Joseph+M.+Marshall+III&search-alias=books&field-author=Joseph+M.+Marshall+III&sort=relevancerank

as a storyteller, marshall is an okie dokie historian.  as a historian, marshall's depth o' research and unique insights fail to impress. read for the stories.

drury (and clavin) is a fine author and has much deserved accolades, so am gonna second gd's recommendation.

HA! Good Fun!

Thanks guys, I don't know if you remember but you both recommended a few books to me some months back.  I enjoyed the Red Cloud book, and have been working my way through one called Empire of the Shadows.  

I'll be visiting Rushmore and Crazy horse on the same day as part of a tour.  I'm not sure if they will touch on the conflicting history of the two, but I will be sure to discuss it with my kids.  

edit:  I'll probably read a few of these after the trip too.  I love reading about a place after a visit when I can really picture the landscape in my head.  Reading Empire of the Shadows has been a slog because I do not really know what these places are like.  Pictures don't do it justice.

Edited by Hurlshot

Congrats Shady

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

Everything planted in the garden in March is now harvested. I filled my deep freezer with bags of black eyed peas, butter beans, corn on the cob, summer squash, and vidalia onions. I got 11 mason jars of strawberry preserves too. I was thinking of planting watermelons for the farmer's market in Covington but I think they would not be ready before labor day. So I'll probably just turn the soil and let it rest until August and plant the autumn stuff.

It was a hell of a lot of work because I've never planted so much but it is extremely cool seeing the freezer full of stuff I grew.

I ordered a solar power generator for the camper this morning and tomorrow I'm going fishing.

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

a few days ago i helped my father harvest his potatoes. the yield was low because the many rains hardened the soil and the potatoes could not grow big but still, 4 crates are better than nothing. meanwhile the first watermelons are starting to grow while the first melon should be ready to be eaten in a few days. 

• Like 2

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Not today but it was my 4 year anniversary on the 22nd

That's all I got. It's been pretty slow around these parts

Condolences.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Changed the headlight glass on my car. A stone had cracked the glass and it was gathering moisture inside it due to the last few days wet weather. Was relatively easy, though a bit fiddly. One of the connectors was stuck and the glue that held it to the headlight unit came loose so I had to glue it back into place.

Is there an English word for when you get damage on your windshield/headlight glass from stones? There is for Swedish and German as far as I know, but I'm drawing a blank in my head when I try to remember anything for English.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken