What You Did Today

Tale

Damn, Bud Spencer died. Now I really hate 2016. ;_;

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Amused that I have invisibility as a lady walked into me while having her head up. High point of the day, it's been that dull though. Cooled down a bit to a lovely 23 C as well.

is current 41 C and will be another 1.5 hours 'til we see 4pm and the likely high temp o' the day. highpoint o' the day is the moment we escape from blistering concrete sidewalk reflected heat and walk into a climate controlled building. 

we did roofing supply and roofing for a few summers when we were younger.  am pretty confident that on a day such as today, the current Gromnir would last 'bout 20 minutes on tar paper and bats before keeling over with heatstroke.

#@%* dry heat.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Yeah. We may get days like that. But humid heat not dry. So you stew in sweat. Real fun on surface transit with no AC

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I slept late, watched a movie (The Revenant, great movie) cleaned the house now heading to the VFW with Tommy & Sunny for dinner & a poker game.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Damn, Bud Spencer died. Now I really hate 2016. ;_;

Banana Joe, NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Im not that squeamish either but I guess I draw the line at bodily fluids. I probably coulnt hack it in the medical field or taking care of old people either.

Not exactly "elderly", but during my teenage years, I had a few half-uncles (mothers half-brothers), one of which was a heroin addict. Long story short, for a short time, my parents were the legal guardians after the home they stayed in got closed by the police after it came you that the kids were both sexually abused, subjected to physical torture of the kind you see in horror movies (held down in bath tabs with icy cold waters to the point of drowning etc.). They ended up there in the first place after their mother died from cancer and their father committed suicide shortly after, so off to a bad start in life.

In any case, my parents trieed their best to take in another few kids besides their own and it was just a task too big for what was then very young parents. When the oldest of them got the withdrawal symptons, he would run off to the local pushers and get his "fix". We usually knew which geneneral area to comb through the hangouts of needle users at the time. Under bridges, abandoned backyards, public toilets (this was the 80's train stations and similar places didn't have controlled access to their toilets). Few things beat kicking your way through white, clammy corpses lying on the ground, blood having trickled from ruptured veins, covered in vomit and an all penetrating smell of old urine and feces. I still remember touching the "flesh" of my relative when hoisting him uup and started dragging him out into the open and back home. Incredibly, he lived for another few decades before dying from OD (I suspect he lived so long because he spent most of that time in jail).

Still, it leaves an impression on a 15 year old when you see that much human misery up close and I still can't stand being around "bodily fluids", so no desensitizing there ;)

Edit to add: I seem to remember those "homes" are called orphanages in English.

• Like 3

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Im not that squeamish either but I guess I draw the line at bodily fluids. I probably coulnt hack it in the medical field or taking care of old people either.

Not exactly "elderly", but during my teenage years, I had a few half-uncles (mothers half-brothers), one of which was a heroin addict. Long story short, for a short time, my parents were the legal guardians after the home they stayed in got closed by the police after it came you that the kids were both sexually abused, subjected to physical torture of the kind you see in horror movies (held down in bath tabs with icy cold waters to the point of drowning etc.). They ended up there in the first place after their mother died from cancer and their father committed suicide shortly after, so off to a bad start in life.

In any case, my parents trieed their best to take in another few kids besides their own and it was just a task too big for what was then very young parents. When the oldest of them got the withdrawal symptons, he would run off to the local pushers and get his "fix". We usually knew which geneneral area to comb through the hangouts of needle users at the time. Under bridges, abandoned backyards, public toilets (this was the 80's train stations and similar places didn't have controlled access to their toilets). Few things beat kicking your way through white, clammy corpses lying on the ground, blood having trickled from ruptured veins, covered in vomit and an all penetrating smell of old urine and feces. I still remember touching the "flesh" of my relative when hoisting him uup and started dragging him out into the open and back home. Incredibly, he lived for another few decades before dying from OD (I suspect he lived so long because he spent most of that time in jail).

Still, it leaves an impression on a 15 year old when you see that much human misery up close and I still can't stand being around "bodily fluids", so no desensitizing there ;)

So because you had to look for your relatives as a 15 year old in places that forced you to search through locations with " white, clammy corpses lying on the ground, blood having trickled from ruptured veins, covered in vomit and an all penetrating smell of old urine and feces " now you find yourself  a little squeamish about body  fluids

Thats a very unreasonable perspective to have Gorthie....dont you think you are overreacting   ;)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

as i was shaving today, i saw a huge centipede crawling in the bathtub through the drain and did the most sensible thing: i turned on the water. that scared it back in the drain, but that was not enough. i turned it all the way to the hot and let a generous amount of almost boiling water run in the drain. that is one centipede that won't be bothering anyone ever again.

and if anything else was in that drain pipe, good riddance. it is a straight pipe with no branching so there was no escape once the hot water went in

Edited by teknoman2
  • Like 2

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

as i was shaving today, i saw a huge centipede crawling in the bathtub through the drain and did the most sensible thing: i turned on the water. that scared it back in the drain, but that was not enough. i turned it all the way to the hot and let a generous amount of almost boiling water run in the drain. that is one centipede that won't be bothering anyone ever again.

and if anything else was in that drain pipe, good riddance. it is a straight pipe with no branching so there was no escape once the hot water went in

kill-it-with-fire.png

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

A new giant centipede has been discovered — also it can swim

If it somehow survvives the hot water, odds are, evolution will also make its offspring heat resistant :p

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Well then thank you teknoman for creating new horrible critters.

the bugs could eat mammal brains to steal memories and intelligence and the horror they might inspire would still pale compared to the gut-churning revulsion we suffered when reality tv celebrities evolved back in the early 1990s. we spit on your centipedes.  we laugh at them.  there were articles in the freaking nyt and washington post telling us 'bout the conflict between some grimy bike messenger and a kid with aids... with comments from president clinton? freaking surreal world. 

bring on your sooper bugs and antibiotic-resistant diseases and chuds.  our capacity for shock and awe died when paris hilton became a celebrity.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Well then thank you teknoman for creating new horrible critters.

the bugs could eat mammal brains to steal memories and intelligence and the horror they might inspire would still pale compared to the gut-churning revulsion we suffered when reality tv celebrities evolved back in the early 1990s. we spit on your centipedes.  we laugh at them.  there were articles in the freaking nyt and washington post telling us 'bout the conflict between some grimy bike messenger and a kid with aids... with comments from president clinton? freaking surreal world. 

bring on your sooper bugs and antibiotic-resistant diseases and chuds.  our capacity for shock and awe died when paris hilton became a celebrity.

HA! Good Fun!

:lol:

Sometimes you really funny Gromnir 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

A new giant centipede has been discovered — also it can swim

If it somehow survvives the hot water, odds are, evolution will also make its offspring heat resistant :p

at first i thought to just step on it or use something to lift it out of the bathtub and throw it in the toilet then flush but considering it managed to get in the bathtub in the first place, chances were it could swim. so boiling it alive was the best option. and im pretty sure it can't have survived because the hot water in my house is really hot. when i turned it off i almost burned my hand just by touching the handle

-Teknoman2-

I have several electric bug swatter rackets at my house.  Most smaller bugs will be killed, most larger bugs will be stunned long enough to kill them in some other fashion.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I have several electric bug swatter rackets at my house.  Most smaller bugs will be killed, most larger bugs will be stunned long enough to kill them in some other fashion.

I have one for mosquitoes, they spawn a lot in our backyard so every morning I am become death incarnate the destroyer of bugs.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

And due to the uproar at work (see yesterdays post) I am considering applying to transfer back to the left coast as a location manager up in Portland. Not sure yet.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

And due to the uproar at work (see yesterdays post) I am considering applying to transfer back to the left coast as a location manager up in Portland. Not sure yet.

It sounds like you've had enough of the midwest anyway. And it would be closer to family. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

It sounds like you've had enough of the midwest anyway. And it would be closer to family. 

Eh, I like having the different weather, but Portland would give me that. Kind of annoyed that they didn't give me more warning about the branch I was moving to being terminated.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Eh, I like having the different weather, but Portland would give me that. Kind of annoyed that they didn't give me more warning about the branch I was moving to being terminated.

it would appear that forty-one does not understand his value to the ship.

row well, forty-one.

HA! Good Fun!

Had to work on Canada Day, so was just me by myself for 10 hours today. Wasn't too bad, though I didn't achieve much of anything so I feel pretty lousy

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I had yesterday off and dont go back until Tuesday, all on the company. Huzzah! I was "volunteered" to attend a festival on Sunday with my wife and mother in law so Ill try to squeeze in some fishing / drinking today or Monday. The sacrifices I make... :lol:

You white people in America...life is far too easy  :p

John Milton 

Doing a bit of cleaning today, then relaxing and grilling in the evening.  Tomorrow morning I drive west 3 hours to the Great Smoky Mountains.  It's a gorgeous area that I haven't been to in many years, so I'm pretty excited.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

ABC had Molson Canadian on sale yesterday for Canada Day (I guess). So I bought a case. It's not the best Canadian beer (Red Racer IPA has that covered) but it is very.... Canadian... sort of. Well, it's from Canada anyway. So last night I played Baldur's Gate and drank a toast to Canada. I think I'll do that again tonight. 

Here's to ya eh!

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell