What You Did Today

Tale

I started building the frame for the cabinets in an outdoor kitchen I've always wanted to build, 

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Took the 2-year-old to Target the other day, to pick up a number of odd things that it doesn't make sense to order online.  The kid's hair is light in color and thickness, so I've been a little worried about a sunburned scalp, and he has consistently rejected all the hats we've acquired.  But he has shown some interest in one of my baseball-style hats, so I wanted to shop for those a little bit to see if he'd find one that he liked.  I found a limited selection of hats in the boys department, although most of them were the kind of branded merchandise I usually avoid.  (Why should I pay a company to advertise their brand, dammit?!) 

Anyhow, after a little rummaging, the kid calls out "I want the pizza hat!"  I have no idea what he's talking about, so I starting looking again at the various Mickey/Comics/Minecraft-themed nonsense to see if any pizza is incorporated.  Turns out he was referring this:

wBRVIqa.jpg

Roughly triangular, with a mottled red and yellow color scheme?  Yep, that's pizza!  I bought the hat, of course.  And he wore it for the entirety of a walk we took later that afternoon.  Superman is probably going to be known as Pizzaman in our house for a good long time.  I can tolerate a little brand-hucksterism if it comes with a good story, I guess. 

Edited by Enoch
  • Like 2

Looked at our weather forecast, which shows us at a temperate 73 Fahrenheit high tomorrow... somehow jumping to 96 degrees on Monday. Really should get a window unit for my bedroom.

Got lucky here, somehow restrained to the low-80s. Not sure about inland, I stop watching weather reports during heat waves so I don't psyche myself out. 

Although I just learned it was 118 in Borrego, the desert to the east.

All Stop. On Screen.

Second day of cleaning out the home office (garage). Cabinets are all disassembled and taken outside and will be thrown away. Computers, Books, files, computer and board games, comics and everything else is upstairs in the spare bedroom as well as the attic. Still have computer office desks but can easily get them out tomorrow morning.

Tomorrow will be the day when I pull out the old carpet and replace with new carpet tiles. I'll then put the desks back in. Hopefully have time to pick up 10 new cabinets but will probably be the day after. After assembling the new cabinets, two-three days of putting things back and this time, sorting all this stuff out. The aim will be to sort out a lot of collectables including approx. 100+ boxes / 10,000+ bagged/boarded comics (mostly silver/golden age) and sell them on ebay.

97% humidity today... we literally need gills to breathe and we can't even see the sky 

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Ordered some parts for my new desktop. Hate being without a computer, but my laptop got fried. My power supply, motherboard and hard drive all died at the same time, I'm assuming my power supply dying blew some fuse inside it and the power surge killed the rest.

I woke up to the sound a Sunny barking like crazy and a hell of a racket going on outside. A fox tried getting in the rabbit enclosure and got stuck in the gate. The rabbits were in their house but if the fox got in it would have been bad news. I walked over with the SR-22 pistol I keep hidden on the back porch and I was going to "take care" of the fox. But it made eye contact with me and looked so desperate I ended up pinning it's neck to the ground so it couldn't bite me and cutting the fence wire to free it and let it go. Tomorrow I'll reinforce the fence.

I'm getting soft in my old age.

• Like 8

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Beware following the path of The Fox and The Hound novel.

'Tis depressing.

That doesn't sound anything like the Disney version!

I thought it was a pub :(

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I woke up to the sound a Sunny barking like crazy and a hell of a racket going on outside. A fox tried getting in the rabbit enclosure and got stuck in the gate. The rabbits were in their house but if the fox got in it would have been bad news. I walked over with the SR-22 pistol I keep hidden on the back porch and I was going to "take care" of the fox. But it made eye contact with me and looked so desperate I ended up pinning it's neck to the ground so it couldn't bite me and cutting the fence wire to free it and let it go. Tomorrow I'll reinforce the fence.

my father found a viper stuck in his chicken pen. it got in, ate a couple of the young chickens but then it was too fat to get out and too full to keep eating so it just sat there. needless to say my father killed it and he would do the same to any fox he would find in or around the place... he has no mercy for anything that hurts his chicken

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Beware following the path of The Fox and The Hound novel.

'Tis depressing.

That doesn't sound anything like the Disney version!

Yeah Disney changed the plot around, significantly.  Co-Director Art Stevens argued that they couldn't kill Chief - a major character off - in the film and the changes snowballed from there.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

most of disney's films (animated or not) usually take a more lighthearted approach to a story compared to the original

meanwhile my phone is giving me trouble. it randomly loses and regains connection with the SD card i put in it and i don't know if it's the card or the phone that doesn't work right

-Teknoman2-

An entire bee community had snuck in under a window sill near the attic. Something like a square meter just behind the old plaster. I didn't have any repelent at home, but then I had a bright idea.

I took one fourth of an ordinary washing detergent, added very little water, poured it into an empty flower spray can, and adjusted the muzzle to a pretty sharp beam, then I began squirting the stuff along their entrances and cracks just beneath the sill. A few of them weren't happy, but I was madder. I darted up there 7-10 times, perhaps, within an hour using up half of that can. Already minutes later, at the start, I noticed that they checked in, but didn't check out (think: ****roach Hotels down under). Then, a few confused late-arrivers decided to swoop away for new pastures. Now, eight hours later, it's man vs bees 1-0.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Yeah, I really like them too. :(

Like 10 years ago, though a wild bee community had found an area between an outer wall and an inner wall near the roof, and then I heard tiny chewing sounds inside the wall, no kidding!

When I noticed that what I feared was indeed true, I had to phone experts to take care of that hive of thousands of individuals. This one was merely 200-300, as a rough estimate.

Our planet can never have enough bees - they are almost endangered and absolutely essential to our survival.

• Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Yeah, I really like them too. :(

Like 10 years ago, though a wild bee community had found an area between an outer wall and an inner wall near the roof, and then I heard tiny chewing sounds inside the wall, no kidding!

When I noticed that what I feared was indeed true, I had to phone experts to take care of that hive of thousands of individuals. This one was merely 200-300, as a rough estimate.

Our planet can never have enough bees - they are almost endangered and absolutely essential to our survival.

I've been considering getting a hive or two actually. An old neighbour here used to keep bees but since she stopped from old age, I thought I'd pick it up.

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I love the concealed porch weapon.  8)

I'd probably keep a melee weapon in a discreet place, too. A good framing hammer will do a lot of damage.*

*I mean against zombies or humans, not foxes

Edited by ManifestedISO
  • Like 1

All Stop. On Screen.

Whelp, applied to manage the **** selling store because I'm just getting tired at Hertz... (and want less stress)

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Whelp, applied to manage the **** selling store because I'm just getting tired at Hertz... (and want less stress)

had a teacher friend o' ours quit his job a few years ago.  the guy liked teaching, but he started to hate the kids, so he figured it were time to quit.  so he quits his job w/o having any real prospects. that bachelor of arts in history from csunowhere that he invested four years o' his life (and innumerable keggers) pursuing weren't opening too many doors for him.  our friend didn't have a genuine plan, but he were still in his early thirties, so he considered his options.

commercial pilot.

commercial pilot?

we thought he were crazy.  less than six months o' training/school and he had to pay ~$25k?  guess it don't matter too much if you love your job.  he gets paid well enough that it didn't take too long to pay back the school loans. the guy is happy.

am not suggesting commercial pilot.  have no idea what is your situation.  even so, you is still young enough that you can find a career rather than a job, yes? 

as hopeless as it may seem, try to stay positive.

HA! Good Fun!

ps gd already has a dedicated melee weapon.

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/70860-what-you-did-today/?p=1580315

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

commercial pilot is different than airline pilot... or commercial airline pilots. as a commercial pilot you may have charter flights that include passengers, but is, so we is told, a broad range o' other options available to the commercial pilot.  the typical airline pilot needs a college degree and all kinda extra training, but if you wanna be a pilot that does firefighting or cargo or rescue or... 

am mostly talking out our arse as we ain't a pilot and we got everything we know second-hand, but is our understanding that if you don't wanna fly passengers for a major airline, you still got considerable options.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I love the concealed porch weapon.  8)

I'd probably keep a melee weapon in a discreet place, too. A good framing hammer will do a lot of damage.*

*I mean against zombies or humans, not foxes

I have a firearm concealed in every room and space. For real. You never know!

Thomas Sowell

had a teacher friend o' ours quit his job a few years ago. the guy liked teaching, but he started to hate the kids, so he figured it were time to quit. so he quits his job w/o having any real prospects. that bachelor of arts in history from csunowhere that he invested four years o' his life (and innumerable keggers) pursuing weren't opening too many doors for him. our friend didn't have a genuine plan, but he were still in his early thirties, so he considered his options.

commercial pilot.

commercial pilot?

we thought he were crazy. less than six months o' training/school and he had to pay ~$25k? guess it don't matter too much if you love your job. he gets paid well enough that it didn't take too long to pay back the school loans. the guy is happy.

am not suggesting commercial pilot. have no idea what is your situation. even so, you is still young enough that you can find a career rather than a job, yes?

as hopeless as it may seem, try to stay positive.

HA! Good Fun!

ps gd already has a dedicated melee weapon.

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/70860-what-you-did-today/?p=1580315

I'd be fine in the adult industry for the rest of my life. I am a decent salesperson and don't have any real moral qualms about sexuality so working there and moving up would be fine. Looking back on it I enjoy a retail environment because you get the customer interaction but don't have the current bad bits where you have to in effect say "yeah, that thing you reserved for your vacation? I don't have it" and get in a fight with the customer about it.

Hertz is a good employee, but it seems like the problems I have won't go away because the company knew that my coworker at this store was leaving four weeks ago (as of Friday) but still haven't opened the job she left for an employee to come in and replace her. And word from the boss is that they are dragging their feet because having one guy do stupid amounts of hours is cheaper than two employees.

It probably wouldn't be as bad if I was in Ames, but right now I have a 60 minute commute and am working six days a week. I just punched in my timecard (assuming I get off tonight at 530) and have 56.55 hours for the week clocked in. As in about 10 hours of commute time and you can see why I am cratering.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.