What are you playing right now?

Gorth

It still amuses me how random shielded wizards or yellow ogres give me more trouble than the Taken King Oryx himself.  I'm playing through the Taken King as a Titan in order to open up all the end-game stuff for him, and I'm having more of an issue with just random cannon fodder than I am the actual "boss" fights.

Gets hit by a random sniper fallen taken = health down to almost nothing, screen blinking red, no cover and must avoid enemy even sneezing on me.

Gets hit by Oryx = shields go down, hide behind huge rock spread throughout map, regenerate and attack.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Grrr, countdown started inside a dialogue. Phone rang for real, thought I'd answer and read the dialogue once I hang up. Get back to the PC and just in that moment everything blows up...

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

A few final touches and I'll finally finish Long War for the first time, after what I'd estimate would be about 350 hours on this campaign alone. I could assault the Temple Ship right now if I wanted to, but I decided to go all in and shoot down an Assault Carrier instead to get myself a Blaster Launcher. I don't think I've played with one (or tackled the Battleship map in general) since my original run all the way back in 2012, so what's old is new again for a moment at least.

Tellingly perhaps, since the launch of XCOM 2, I've played about 40 hours of the new game before going back and playing 200-250 hours of the old. XCOM 2 might get there eventually, but it's probably some time off.

That said, I am slowing down a bit on it because of late-game mission grindiness, and I decided to fill in the time by starting Bravely Default, my first JRPG since Final Fantasy 7 way back when, unless you count Fire Emblem Awakening. Also only the second game I've properly played on my 3DS having owned it for about 15 months, which I suppose puts my judgement in question. Anyway, the game itself is thus far not overly whelming, though I'm only just past the first boss fight. I've probably made several mistakes that would be glaringly obvious to genre veterans, and it's pretty tough going as a result.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

That's the part Xenonauts got right - calling in the airstrikes if you don't wanna/can't do a mission, costing you the resources it would give you if you took the time.

Fortune favors the bald.

Nearly finished with Dex. Quite fun, and while not completely unpredictable, the story is quite enjoyable and scratches the cyberpunk itch more than Deus Ex Human Revolution did.

• Like 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

That's the part Xenonauts got right - calling in the airstrikes if you don't wanna/can't do a mission, costing you the resources it would give you if you took the time.

To be fair, that's functionally the same as leaving UFO crash sites alone anyway. The UFO obviously fails its mission once shot down and the aliens are docked resource points to replace it, so it's just the opportunity cost of the loot. I haven't skipped a single one though, because it's easy Meld and Cyberdisc wrecks (the two most valuable things in Long War).

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Iron Banner is up and running for the week in Destiny.  Which sucks because I'm totally over the PvP mode, but can't help but get sucked in because of the loot available in the Iron Banner.

I actually did well for a few games today.  The Titan class character with that flaming hammer is quite potent, especially when your opponents clump together.  On the flip side, I still can't find a rifle I like.  I used one to moderate success today (auto rifle with decent damage), but the only games I actually did extremely well in were the ones I somehow managed to activate my super power twice, and cleaned up with like 4 or 5 kills each time.

One last negative about the Iron Banner is you get zero faction gain if your team loses.  So if you're unlucky and get stuck with horrible players for multiple games in a row (like I did), you can do well and still end up with zero reputation gain with the Iron Banner.

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

If you're playing Iron Banner, you should horde bounties and turn them in only on Sunday or Monday to get the maximum out of it. That way you don't have to play more than to complete those bounties, and still get to rank 5 packages in the end. After matcfh rewards are just too unpredictable to expect anything.

1.13 killed off Ja2.

Started to play Lightning Returns NG+ on normal difficulty. I still don't like it :-( But well it's not that bad, if it would be standalone game, but it does not deserve Final Fantasy name :-/ At least all the items are carried over, so you do not have to repeat all that fetch quests. The game compared to Crisis Core, which had similar gameplay, really suffers from all the stupid MMO-type quests. At some point it just stops to be fun, if you have to kill 40 monsters which spawn one by one in Luxerion :-/

Edited by Mamoulian War

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

I believe I'm around level 52 or so in Dark Souls and enjoying my time with it.  I will say the co-op really draws me in.  I usually spend a good amount of time in other peoples games helping out and this has helped me out quite a bit, but overall, really enjoying the game overall.  Awesome atmosphere and great gameplay.  Really digging all the outfits.  I think I've taken down 5 bosses so far.

Also started up Alienation for the PS4, which is a Housemarque game which feels like Helldivers, but much better in my opinion.  It's a loot based shooter with abilities that you can play with up to 4 people and the missions can be pretty intense.  Pretty decent as well.

• Like 1

The Magic Circle: Gold Edition

I don't care what anyone says, Ishmael Gilder is a genius. Anyone who is a true fan of the original text adventure will love it.

It'd make sense if you played it. It's actually a game that's an amusing parody of development hell. You go around the game world bringing back deleted content and changing object properties to solve puzzles.

Right now I'm tasked with finding a way to kill a couple of the fictional developers.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Is there a way to drop quests in Grim Dawn?

Unfortunately not. It's a commonly requested feature on the forums, though, so maybe someday. It would definitely be nice though, was annoying the first 2 relics I ever made were for quests (I never had a relic to actually use until I was 50+)
  • Like 1

Hit a wall in Rt3, the Rhodes scenario, will give that a bit of a break. Going back to Tropico 5, kind of 'meh' about this as well. Not sure why people are choosing shacks over tenements though :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Had a go at the new Hitman episode.

It's definitely a weird mix of reactions to it. On the one hand, it's an incredibly large level, with a huge amount of options for how you go about completing the mission. On the other, it's one single level, and bookended by two small cutscenes that still give you bugger all story, just the vaguest of hints that someone is manipulating all the events.

Sure, you get the online "Contracts" side, and also the only available while logged on (for some bizarre reason) Escalation contracts. Which are basically "use the map for the level, but it has an escalating series of actions you need to perform to complete". So first level is "kill x guy in y disguise with z weapon", 2nd level is that plus "break open the safe" , 3rd level is all the previous things plus "kill this other guy, wearing some other disguise and using another weapon", and so on and so forth.

But that's it. One single level for this episode and no real storytelling to sink its hooks into you. If there's only a few more episodes to go and they're all like this, it's going to be disappointing.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I tried beating Shantae and the Pirate's Curse but I had no healing items left and I died at the final boss. The way there was a nightmare for me, so I won't go back. I'm afraid I'll smash my PC. I watched the fight and ending on YouTube. That's my failure of the day.

Had a go at the new Hitman episode.

It's definitely a weird mix of reactions to it. On the one hand, it's an incredibly large level, with a huge amount of options for how you go about completing the mission. On the other, it's one single level, and bookended by two small cutscenes that still give you bugger all story, just the vaguest of hints that someone is manipulating all the events.

Sure, you get the online "Contracts" side, and also the only available while logged on (for some bizarre reason) Escalation contracts. Which are basically "use the map for the level, but it has an escalating series of actions you need to perform to complete". So first level is "kill x guy in y disguise with z weapon", 2nd level is that plus "break open the safe" , 3rd level is all the previous things plus "kill this other guy, wearing some other disguise and using another weapon", and so on and so forth.

But that's it. One single level for this episode and no real storytelling to sink its hooks into you. If there's only a few more episodes to go and they're all like this, it's going to be disappointing.

Waiting for it to all come out (and on sale) is a good plan it seems :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Playing Dark Souls 1. My opinions keeps shifting between 'awesome' and 'so much BS in one game', but I guess that's to be expected. Lvl 79, fighting the Bed of Chaos (and that Titanite Demon near it, which keeps instagibbing me).

More Destiny PvP ranting incoming.  It's just, I'm absolutely baffled about how my character seems to die so easily, yet the opponent seems to take forever to die.

A new example since I've been using my Titan.  With Hammer of Sol, whenever my opponent activates it he seems to be able to run right in the open and mow down anyone who shoots at him, taking almost no damage.  I've seen an enemy kill 5 of my teammates without them taking him down, even though they're each unloading on him the entire way.  In comparison, I've been killed by ONE enemy who continuously fired at me while I was throwing hammers around.  At best, I'll kill a couple of enemies before someone easily takes me down.

The same is an ongoing thing with regards to charging at enemies.  I'm a Titan.  I'm supposed to have this deadly charge.  Yet it never seems to work.  By the time I run up to an opponent, he's killed me with repeated shots.  In contrast, whenever an opposing player charges at me, even if I've got a chance to shoot him 4 or 5 times, he still seems to have just enough health left to then melee kill me.

It's not my equipment.  Level advantages are off, and in any case, a lot of times it's an opponent at a lower level than me.

I just honestly don't get it.  I don't think I've ever played a game that's actually made me long to play CoD MP again just so I can remember what it's like to actually get a kill in situations where I see and hit the opponent with a shot first.

Playing Dark Souls 1. My opinions keeps shifting between 'awesome' and 'so much BS in one game', but I guess that's to be expected. Lvl 79, fighting the Bed of Chaos (and that Titanite Demon near it, which keeps instagibbing me).

Titanite/Prowling Demons are jerks, yes. Bed of Chaos is just bad, and it's, from what I've heard, one of the bosses designed as development time was running out. It sucks.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Still doing stuff with Train Fever. The transportation system is beginning to annoy the hell out of me again- the so called 20 minute rule for everything, especially for goods. I like to play on big maps with fewer towns, but due to the way the random map generation works, it is possible for industries to be so far apart that you just can't keep the lines going in special cases. Wasted a few hours on a map, then my towns upgrade "too high" and require more goods, which I am unable to produce and because I am unable to produce the situation gets worse and everything is falling apart.

It wouldn't be that much a problem if I would upgrade to high tech trains, but tbh, I like the steam / early electric time period just too much. :/

I really hope they adjust this for Transport Fever. Else it just won't be any fun- occasionally you have to meta game the crap out of it to make stuff work. In situation where you don't have to bother with this stuff, it's a good game now (unlike prior a truckload of patches).

Anyway, I started working on my first Train Fever mod: A black variant of the Milwaukee Road Class EP-2. :>

ymbMkW.png

DECH8u.png

• Like 3

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

More Destiny.  I finally played against someone even more hopeless than me.  Poor guy went 3-15, 0-13 (not sure how he managed not even a fluke kill), and 6-17 (I guess he's improving) until he left the lobby.

I also finally had a decent game, going 17-3 in my final match before leaving.  Of course, it had zero to do with my rifle, which I still hate with a passion.  I got 8 heavy weapons kills (sword; they just kept running at me as I ninja'd around a corner) and 6 special power kills (including a 5-kill streak during one).  One was also a grenade kill.  So even when I do exceptionally well, I still only get around 3 kills with the rifle. :getlost:

Duelyst.

Now it's fully released and they gave each faction 2 different bloodborn spells (think Hearthstone heropowers) so now my gaming crack addiction is back and stronger than ever.

I threw 10€ at them for the 1500+ matches I played during beta