Movies You've Seen Recently Thread

Blarghagh

Just seen Pontypool. That movie was scary. Also wouldn't be surprised if it was somewhat an inspiration for parts of the plot in MGS5- namely the stuff about the vocal cord parasites.

/Edit: I mean, really. It's probably the first time in years that I kinda wish I had seen a movie in broad daylight.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Sci fi films could be so good now if they weren't all wasted on superhero trash and reboots/remakes.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Ex Machina was well-crafted, but the plot was very predictable. I expected more from it. The Martian was just plain awful...

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

The Martian was just plain awful...

• Well written source material.
  • Science!
  • Charismatic lead actor
  • Very strong supporting cast
  • Arthur Max as the production designer
  • Ridley Scott 

I'm not sure what your agenda is, but any one of these factors would prevent this movie from being classified as..."plain awful."

If you don't like the movie, that's fine. But, "awful?"

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

^ What he said.

I don't see a single original or remarkable trait in Ex Machina. Its atmosphere is suggestive of something artistic and intelligent but the actual script doesn't reflect that.

The Maritan is one of those films that celebrate know-how and technological omnipotence, practically a Victorian novel. Its naive and silly but passable.

I suppose we should be grateful that they're something new at all, but I can't help hoping for something more substantial.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

The Martian is just a  sexist rewrite of the Bullock film. Both were crap. i could tell they were crap by the stupid trailers which are supposed to hype you up yet both had me rolling my eyes. How they can make one of my fave actresses to be so uncharismatic and pathetic is hilarious. And, MATT Damon is the overrated punk that is the worst version of Ben AFFLECK who is 100x more talented yet b/c Affleck had some public romances he gets crapped on. LMAO

And, Machina? Short Circuit called. L0LZ

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

If you don't like the movie, that's fine. But, "awful?"

well, I agree with these guys' opinion (go to 31:50 for their review of The Martian):

http://youtu.be/kX50REHezPY?t=31m50s

Edited by sorophx
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

I thought the Martian was mediocre because it lacked so much of the book. It felt too heavily compressed to me, with most of the interesting science and events being cut. Though, of course that's usually what happens with movies based on books... But in the Martian, it really didn't felt like he was on that planet very long. Food never seemd to be a big deal, water neither, air? Well, apparently there was enough air in his tiny dome (which he actually expanded in the book). I don't remember him ever talking about it. They had nice vistas and stuff, but other than that, I never got the feeling his presence on mars is threatening or an issue at all.

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Matt Damon is charismatic. Huh.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

If he's so charismatic why doesn't he ever get interviewed on Jimmy Kimmel?

Cuz he's too busy banging Jimmy's girlfriend.

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

not our favorite actor, but we like damon well enough.  in our opinion, he were the best actor in the departed, which is saying quite a bit. am slight annoyed that he took credit for writing good will hunting.  am understanding that the affleck and damon script for hunting had gun battles and multiple car chases. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I saw Kingdom of Heaven directors cut yesterday. It was three hours long and it did have plenty of slow paced scenes, but those scenes were always "the calm before a storm" type of things and essential to either story or character development. Overall it was a really good movie.

• Like 3

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

I saw Kingdom of Heaven directors cut yesterday. It was three hours long and it did have plenty of slow paced scenes, but those scenes were always "the calm before a storm" type of things and essential to either story or character development. Overall it was a really good movie.

My favorite Ridley Scott film. It really needed the longer Director's Cut treatment in order for the story to breath and the production design to shine.

My favorite Ridley Scott film. It really needed the longer Director's Cut treatment in order for the story to breath and the production design to shine.

what impressed us most 'bout kingdom is how much we liked it in spite o' a mediocre performance from orlando bloom.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

not our favorite actor, but we like damon well enough.  in our opinion, he were the best actor in the departed, which is saying quite a bit. am slight annoyed that he took credit for writing good will hunting.  am understanding that the affleck and damon script for hunting had gun battles and multiple car chases. 

HA! Good Fun!

As I remember they also had a rather intense gay love scene in it.

The reason being, when they were shopping it around and got questioned on those elements, they'd actually know if people had read it or not and could then decide to work with people who cared enough to fully read a script not just the synopsis.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

And, Machina? Short Circuit called. L0LZ

Having seen both films, I can say that neither film is like the other.  Personally I liked Ex Machina but it tickled my inner thriller viewer - trying to figure out who was playing who.

Recently I've seen:

GODS OF EGYPT (2016): The film reminds me a lot of the adventure films of the 60s and 70s (primarily, those SINBAD films of Harryahusen).  The trailers did a poor job of explaining the story to the audience and the "controversy" over the casting assured this wouldn't find its audience.  But its a fun popcorn flick; and old style family adventure fantasy of good proportion.

(To make an aside about the controversy, the film is clearly shown to be an alternate universe - Earth is a flat disc and Ra's barge is indeed the sun.  To complain the film doesn't reflect the real world is to miss the point that it isn't the real world anymore than LORD OF THE RINGS is really set in Europe).

ZOOTOPIA (2016): Animated crime mystery; I liked the characters and the fact that they played honest with the mystery part, scattering real clues for the observant viewer to figure out who was behind everything.

TOMORROWLAND (2016): I was worried that the film would be preachy about the bad-old-presentday and was happy it didn't go there.  Its a fun adventure film that manages to be fun most of the time, serious when needed and yet without gratuitous grimness.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Want to go see Zootopia, but think I'll have to wait a while so the crowd of kids thins out a tad.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

"he were the best actor in the departed,"

He wasn't even top 5 in the movie.

"TOMORROWLAND (2016): I was worried that the film would be preachy about the bad-old-presentday and was happy it didn't go there.  Its a fun adventure film that manages to be fun most of the time, serious when needed and yet without gratuitous grimness."

This movie was lots of fun and underpapreicated. One of Clooney's best films, imo, largely because it isn't as preachy as his films  (sans Batman 4 lol) are.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.