Movies You've Seen Recently Thread

Blarghagh

Not entirely on-topic but 30 Rocks is absolutely awesome. Okay, maybe except for Season 4 which was a bit lameish, but most of it is really quality entertainment.

;)

Eh, I always preferred Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip. That was a shame it only got the one season.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Heh. On the last day of principle photography, Benedict Cumberbatch walks from shooting into a comic shop to spend some time hanging out....

http://geektyrant.com/news/benedict-cumberbatch-hangs-out-in-comic-book-store-dressed-in-full-doctor-strange-costume

Edited by Raithe
  • Like 2

Not entirely on-topic but 30 Rocks is absolutely awesome. Okay, maybe except for Season 4 which was a bit lameish, but most of it is really quality entertainment.

;)

Eh, I always preferred Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip. That was a shame it only got the one season.

studio 60 got 3 seasons... when you figure in that studio 60 were just sports night, but with a collection o' stars that dared you to like 'em.  tim busfield? matthew perry?  if sports night couldn't succeed, then studio 60 were doomed from the start, particular given that it were ridiculous expensive to produce.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Studio 60 had one season with 22 episodes...  Well, it was the whole show within a show, a variant Saturday Night Live show and the things going on around it.

Mathew Perry and Bradley Whitford, with some good support from Amanda Peet,  D L Hughley, Steven Weber and a whole bunch of others. Plus it came out a few months ahead of 30 Rock.

It might sound snobbish, but it came across as a lot more educated and witty to begin with. Whenever I saw 30 Rock it tended more to the juvenile satire and almost sliding into pratfall type of comedy. Entertaining in its way, but it can be nice to see a show that's unafraid to pull out a Gillbert and Sullivan twist.

Studio 60 had one season with 22 episodes...  Well, it was the whole show within a show, a variant Saturday Night Live show and the things going on around it.

Mathew Perry and Bradley Whitford, with some good support from Amanda Peet,  D L Hughley, Steven Weber and a whole bunch of others. Plus it came out a few months ahead of 30 Rock.

It might sound snobbish, but it came across as a lot more educated and witty to begin with. Whenever I saw 30 Rock it tended more to the juvenile satire and almost sliding into pratfall type of comedy. Entertaining in its way, but it can be nice to see a show that's unafraid to pull out a Gillbert and Sullivan twist.

studio 60 were sports night redux... but less. sorkin did the meta-show shtick with sports night too, and while it were critical praised, it never found a niche with viewers.  am not sure why anybody thought that redoing the same show but making it snl rather than sports center would sell it, particular with a less likeable cast than the one aaron sorkin assembled in 1998-2000.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Might have been wrong, Rey may not be sister to Ren ... Han and Leia don't react as they should if she were. More telling, the inflection in the voice of Obi-wan speaking her name during the dream sequence in Episode VII. 

If it is him, how they recorded Alec Guinness is a mystery I'm willing to watch previous Episodes to uncover, but, for the moment I'm intrigued with the possibility Rey is a Kenobi.  

• Like 1

All Stop. On Screen.

• Like 4

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Pretty crap speech. But I guess if Hux was the baseline it is ok.

Damn it, Kyle stole the plans. :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I always wonder why they use legs (AT-AT, AT-ST, etc.) when they have hover technology like the cars and bikes.

Because some planets have weird magnetic fields that disrupt the hover systems.

Yeah. *nod*

• Like 3

I always wonder why they use legs (AT-AT, AT-ST, etc.) when they have hover technology like the cars and bikes.

it's the same reason why james bond villains have easily accessible self-destruct devices in their bases and lairs.  such readily apparent design flaws exist to be exploited in visually stunning ways.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

Wait a minute...everyone doesn't have a big self-destruct button in their house?

Great, NOW you tell me... :facepalm:

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Wait a minute...everyone doesn't have a big self-destruct button in their house?

Great, NOW you tell me... :facepalm:

That's why you also build trap doors and secret ways out of your lair... I mean house in case someone starts the self destruction countdown.

Hate the living, love the dead.

Baton-bashing bad girl Rebel with ninja training on the brink of redemption or falling to the Dark Side ... *faints*

in our head, we read your post as sarcastic, but knowing manifested, we is +90% certain that you is genuine.  curious.

HA! Good Fun!

Subconsciously see the word 'bash' and equate with sarcasm, maybe. But no, no sarcasm, I just have a thing for perplexing females proficient in hand-to-hand.

Watched Episodes IV and V, sleuthing for a connection between Ben Kenobi and Rey. If Obi-Wan does speak her name in VII, it must be audio magic. I'll watch VI here in a minute and see what I can hear. 

More interesting, the same unique, empty passageway structure seen in the Luke/Vader battle on Bespin, appears in Rey's dream sequence, where it collapses. Kind of an oddly specific thing to recreate. Luke loses his hand and his lightsaber in that scene--the same lightsaber which triggers Rey's Force vision. Am I reading too much into it, yes, but it's fun.    

All Stop. On Screen.

studio 60 were sports night redux... but less. sorkin did the meta-show shtick with sports night too, and while it were critical praised, it never found a niche with viewers.  am not sure why anybody thought that redoing the same show but making it snl rather than sports center would sell it, particular with a less likeable cast than the one aaron sorkin assembled in 1998-2000.

HA! Good Fun!

Sorkin Power Rankings:

1) Sports Night

2) The West Wing (Seasons 1-4)

3) A Few Good Men

4) The American President

5) Moneyball

6) Charlie Wilson's War

7) The Social Network

8) Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip

9) The Newsroom

10) Malice

*Haven't seen Steve Jobs yet.

Aside from their shared Larry Sandersesque inside baseball approach --Studio 60 just cannot be compared with Sports Night in terms of quality, writing, depth, intelligence, wit, characterization, and especially humor.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Sent a text reply to my brother with my Kenobi theory and he was all, 'that's been a thing since last year'. 

All the wind went out of my sail, and then he adds, 'Supreme Leader Snoke is nothing less than Darth Vader, still alive, twice unrepentant'.

I'm not smart or intuitive, so I cried a little and then replied, 'no way, that would wipe out the entire drama of Episode VI, render Sebastian Shaw's poignant performance pointless, and entirely undermine Anakin Skywalker's redemption'.

He said, you can't argue with the grandson of Vader vs. the granddaughter of Obi-Wan. 

All Stop. On Screen.

HA! Good Fun!

Sorkin Power Rankings:

1) Sports Night

2) The West Wing (Seasons 1-4)

3) A Few Good Men

4) The American President

5) Moneyball

6) Charlie Wilson's War

7) The Social Network

8) Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip

9) The Newsroom

10) Malice

*Haven't seen Steve Jobs yet.

Aside from their shared Larry Sandersesque inside baseball approach --Studio 60 just cannot be compared with Sports Night in terms of quality, writing, depth, intelligence, wit, characterization, and especially humor.

I loved The Newsroom, I keep trying to watch the West Wing, but I always try when I'm tired or there are kids making noise and I can't focus.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Baton-bashing bad girl Rebel with ninja training on the brink of redemption or falling to the Dark Side ... *faints*

Well, I was kind of looking forward to ig until you put it that way..

Really though, that Donnie Yen bit looked dumb.

Sent a text reply to my brother with my Kenobi theory and he was all, 'that's been a thing since last year'. 

All the wind went out of my sail, and then he adds, 'Supreme Leader Snoke is nothing less than Darth Vader, still alive, twice unrepentant'.

I'm not smart or intuitive, so I cried a little and then replied, 'no way, that would wipe out the entire drama of Episode VI, render Sebastian Shaw's poignant performance pointless, and entirely undermine Anakin Skywalker's redemption'.

He said, you can't argue with the grandson of Vader vs. the granddaughter of Obi-Wan. 

we got one reply:

j.j. abrams.

the actual explanation is that there likely were no explanation.  an abrams vehicle that actual makes any kinda sense is the exception rather than the rule.  a plot chart for an abrams film is gonna look like a jackson pollock painting.  

most likely theory: snoke is actual milo rambaldi whose master plan were never to rule the galaxy with his third death-to-science-star terror weapon-- classic misdirection.  instead, the deathtrapstar from episode vii were actually a breeding ground for an army o' intelligent, force-wielding and invisible polar bears... thus all the snow.  the invisible polar bears were part o' snoke/sloane/jacob's endgame... that would also involve a downed 747, a white guy named khan an enormous red water balloon, and quantum teleportation.

don't overthink anything from abrams.  whatever he intended is no doubt complete nonsense and his successors is gonna need retrofix the whole mess.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1