Movies You've Seen Recently Thread

Blarghagh

Gizmodo - First look at Scarlett Johansson as Ghost in the Shell

t7us4bthidnjrgymfgkl.png

The Western adaptation of the iconic cyberpunk manga and anime series Ghost in the Shell has entered production—and with that news, we have our first look at Scarlett Johansson in the lead role as Major Matoko Kusanagi.

The star of Masamune Shirow’s smash hit manga—translated into an iconic animated series by Production I.G. in serveral series and OVAs over the past 20 years—Kusanagi is the cybernetically-enhanced head of counter-terrorist organization Public Security Section 9, operating in a dystopic 21st century Japan.

It still bothers us a lot that this role isn’t being played by an Asian actor—but at least the the shot released of Johansson captures the vibe of Shirow’s dark world pretty decently. Hey the ethnicity of the lead character doesn’t matter as long as they got the hairstyle right, right? Ugh.

Directed by Snow White and the Huntsman’s Rupert Sanders, Ghost in the Shell is expected to release on March 31st, 2017.

Johannson sure has that vacant expression down pat.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

So Marvel seems to have cast black girls as Brunhilde/Valkyrie and Mary Jane Watson. Just rumors so far, as the roles haven't been announced, but those are the best guesses based on role descriptions. Being celebrated by peoole who rage against cultural appropriation.

Seeing as the real world inspiration for Brunhilde was a Spanish Visigoth, I don't really see the problem - she's clearly already changed colour before. Spider-Man himself and his support characters are also pretty racial neutral. The characters could work in basically any racial setting.

Casting Thor as black however would be a bit weird - as they did with Heimdal. But the Marvel universe is pretty diverse as it is and since the Norse gods are a race of aliens, I guess skin color is the lesser detour :)

Visigoths were Germanic. So its not like there was much of a colour change.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Eye in the Sky. Riveting. Also, I've never heard a packed cinema go immediately quiet near the end of the movie. Couldn't hear anyone breathing. My girlfriend had her hand over her mouth and didn't move for a couple of minutes.

Guess they kill the kid then?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Interesting. Figured the kid would get offed, would be too unrealistic if they held up an assassination for that.

Will have to nab that when it's out.

Huh, I'm actually surprised at how well they are pulling off the look.  I didn't have much faith in it being live action, but I like the style.  It still looks a bit goofy, but that fits with the setting well enough.

Other than the blasted wabbajack music, it's exceeded my expecations. To be fair, my expectations were low.

Mine were a bit too high. Looks like something out of Syfy :p but I will go see it most likely.

I had high hopes for Max Payne doing that once. Ahh, optimism

I finally got around to watching Ex-Machina. Vastly overrated. Very weak main character--more of a foil than anything else. Terminated the interview scenes just as they could have begun to introduce real substance to the film. Inexplicable ending. Glaring technical inconsistencies. Bleh.

Yea.. aside from the eye candy, I thought that movie was poop too.

Doom wasn't bad

It was just Aliens more than it was Doom. The first person section was hilarious and probably the most fun I've had in a video game movie. I also thought Prince of Persia was barely passable entertainment and while Silent Hill didn't capture the subtle horror of the games at all, it looked amazing. So we're starting to get there a little bit. But this year we've got three - a Ratchet and Clank movie, WarCraft and Assassin's Creed. If one of those is hugely succesful, it might open the door for more videogame movies and at a certain point they might start getting good. I mean, we had to sit through a lot of Daredevils to get a Dark Knight, didn't we? Personally, my money is on WarCraft.

My kids are excited about Ratchet and Clank, so they must be doing something right.

I was always a fan of the Resident Evil movies, but I can also just spend 90 minutes staring at a picture of Milla Jovovich and be content.

• Like 1

My kids are excited about Ratchet and Clank, so they must be doing something right.

I was always a fan of the Resident Evil movies, but I can also just spend 90 minutes staring at a picture of Milla Jovovich and be content.

milla-jovovich-19a.jpg

I just saved you whatever a movie ticket costs in California.

• Like 6

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Man would have spared myself Matrix sequels by just looking at Bellucci :lol:

• Like 1

This one kind of slipped up on me...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whmDrCb6Z-k&feature=youtu.be

Loved Seven Samurai and The (original) Magnificent Seven. 

Hopefully Westerns are making a quasi comeback.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

If I make a list of movies not in need of a remake, 'The Magnificent Seven' and 'Shichinin no Samurai' would make the top 20, if not the top 10.

If you've never seen them, go do it. Better than everything that comes out of Hollywood these days, and certainly much better than what's obviously not a good adaption based on that preview.

• Like 1

If I make a list of movies not in need of a remake, 'The Magnificent Seven' and 'Shichinin no Samurai' would make the top 20, if not the top 10.

If you've never seen them, go do it. Better than everything that comes out of Hollywood these days, and certainly much better than what's obviously not a good adaption based on that preview.

Off the top of my head, the Seven Samurai story has been done 11 times (without counting the parodies (like The Magnificent 11) or the TV episodes (original Battlestar Galactaca's "The Magnificent Warriors"):

• Shichinin no Samurai
  • The Magnificent Seven
  • Return of the Seven
  • Guns of the Magnificent Seven
  • The Magnificent Seven Ride
  • Liu he qian shou
  • Battle Beyond the Stars
  • I sette magnifici gladiatori
  • Dikiy vostok
  • The Magnificent Seven (TV Series)
  • Samurai 7 (Animated Series)

Does one more really matter (regardless of quality)?

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man