Movies You've Seen Recently Thread

Blarghagh

Batman v Superman, overall I enjoyed it, but they pulled another Man of Steel mistake having someone easily discover Superman's identity. Lex was terrible, the reason for them fighting was terrible, and the reason they stopped fighting was worse. It did feel like it needed another stand alone Superman movie, plus a Batman and a Wonder Woman movie before it. Superman is just such a shallow character in it, they obviously didn't care about him at all and it was all about Batman. Luckily Affleck dethroned Keaton as my favourite live action Batman. People are criticising him for killing people, but it wasn't really any more than previous Batmans did, and aside from the dream sequence it was all vehicular manslaughter. Wonder Woman was definitely the highlight of the finale.

Hobo Barry Allen made me wary of the Flash movie though.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Watched 50 Shades of Kryptonite last night. As others mentioned, the editing was terrible. I am amazed there even are deleted scenes. Most scenes could have been cut to half the length and would have been better for it. Most of the (here fake) drama has been done better in other movies. Just because a large part of today's audience wasn't even born for the Michael Keaton movies for example, doesn't make this Batman good.

My trip to the cinema wasn't a complete waste though: there was a pinball machine outside and I got the true Arcade experience: it ate my coin. I truly felt young again. Then I felt old when all those young people thought this was a good movie.

Also a bat flew past me on the way home. Warned it not to watch the movie just because it has "bat" in the title.

• Like 2

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

In Batman's original origin, he decided to become Batman because a bat flew through his study's window while he was trying to come up with a way to fight crime.

I'm pretty sure that Bat was trying to tell you that you needed to become the Batman your city deserves.1

1Thankfully you didn't get the parody of the original Batman origin that was done in a DC annual where a woman was thrown through Bruce Wayne's window so he decides to fight crime as Womanman with his sidekick Girl the Boy Wonder...

Edited by Amentep
  • Like 4

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

So, I also decided to watch Batman V Superman: The Dawn of Justice. I expected something truly terrible and left somewhat enertained, so it wasn't a complete waste. However...

That utterly ridiculous and heavy handed Superman/Jesus metaphor with the Spear of Destiny Kryptonite being dropped by Lois at the feet of a statue of our crucified lord and saviour. Sweet mercy I facepalmed and cursed so hard at the theater that people got annoyed by it...  and then the bloody movie even ends with Superman's implied resurrection. Superhero easter for the supreme lose.

Edited by majestic

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Marvel keeps killing it with the costumes. I just wish they could get Hawkeye's closer to his comic look.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Whatever happened to Bill Pulman, is he retired or something.

Independence Day: Resurgence is coming soon, with him reviving his old role - other than that I think he mostly done minor serie roles and b-listed movies.

Fortune favors the bald.

Just came back from seeing Supes v Bats. That was fun. Now gonna re-read Dark Knight Returns.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Bat V S

You gotta have Superman, sure, but less is better. Seems like the entire movie is that two minute plug for another movie at the end of a Marvel movie. The scene where DC rolls out their portfolio of 'meta humans' read 'not mutants' is just laughable. Aquaman ??? lols. What the hell is Aquaman doing in a Batman movie. 5 seconds was too much.

There is PLENTY to do if you are trying to make a convincing confrontation between Batman and Superman and they cut corners making it less believable just so they could spend time plugging Justice League. You don't need a contrived reason for Superman to fight Batman, you DO need to make the audience believe the contest of wills between the two.

They made too much of Batman branding people like a kid with a magnifying glass. Batman is not vengeful or a sadist, he uses fear to get inside their heads. That  theatrical aspect of Batman where he becomes more powerful because you believe in the spectacle he creates is absolutely essential to who he is.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I can feel it coming. Tuesday, my mailbox, Episode VII. 

Four months is a pittance compared to waiting three years before Jedi was released on VHS. 

I'll finally get to see it then. I was hoping for a directors cut but it looks like that isn't happening. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I've watched Star Wars 7, and I think it is mostly ok-ish. I forgot most of the old movies, so I am not sure how good it is compared to them... but well, at least I didn't felt bored while watching, so I'll guess it can't be that bad. In any case, the movie had some really stupid moments and unused potential. Especially I think it's a shame they didn't used the crashed space ship stuff more... it made for a great setting.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I think more or less it was on the same lines as the old ones plot-wise (after all they copied most plot points from those), with the difference that then we hadn't been saturated with that kind of images and settings.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Supposedly they are remaking Labyrinth. Cumbersome wouldn't make a bad Goblin King

Devastatorsig.jpg

Supposedly they are remaking Labyrinth. Cumbersome wouldn't make a bad Goblin King

Nobody can play Bowie.

tom hiddleston? too obvious? jared leto were the first name that popped into our noggin... though the bits we have seen o' his joker make us less enthusiastic 'bout him.  michael sheen did an admirable ziggy stardust/bowie in the newish tron film, though am not certain that such a direction is best.  back in the late 90s we saw sheen play mozart in shaffer's amadeus and were much impressed. sheen is one o' those good actors that has done a few great movies, and a whole lotta bad ones.  

an amusing 30 rock segment with sheen.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)