Movies You've Seen Recently Thread

Blarghagh

the crazies do, yeah. I looked up the results this morning, and aside from Mad Max winning every technical category (which it should've anyway, it's a masterpiece on the technical level) and Brie Larson winning Best Actress I disagree with every other choice the Academy made (not counting shorts and documentaries, didn't watch those). I mean, Best Supporting Actor didn't go to Tom Hardy, Best Picture didn't go to Room, what the hell, Academy? 

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Wait, people actually watch the Oscars?

Probably 30 million or so, just a WAG based on last year's numbers. http://variety.com/2015/tv/ratings/oscar-ratings-abc-telecast-down-10-in-overnights-to-four-year-low-1201439543/

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Wait, people actually watch the Oscars?

Probably 30 million or so, just a WAG based on last year's numbers. http://variety.com/2015/tv/ratings/oscar-ratings-abc-telecast-down-10-in-overnights-to-four-year-low-1201439543/

34.3 million, per ABC.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Bit late to the party, but saw Deadpool a couple of weeks ago. It was awesome! First time in over a decade that I went to the movies, the sideeffects were exactly what I thought, massive headache from the high volume, and the seats were'nt the most comfortable.

Still worth it. :)

Edited by Azdeus
  • Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

^ Sounds okay to me (now). I've read they do not plan a 1:1 conversion from the books, and they apparently plan to only make *one* movie. As by nature of how the dark tower works, with its levels and stuff, pretty much anything could be possible in that movie.

/edit: Just flew over the article. This part is a bit of a bummer to me:

Arcel declined to specify which books his movie focus on, but he did offer this clue: “A lot of it takes place in our day, in the modern world.”

I'd rather see something more from the "wild west" part of the story. I occasionally re-read the parts in the Barony of Mejis, for example. Love that stuff.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Interesting news about the Dark Tower but I have to admit that I thought the first book was the only worthwhile one. After that I think Mr King lost his hold on his creative vision. That said the first book is a fairly self contained experience to me, worthy of re-reading every few years, and that opening line is still perfect.

"the Man in Black fled across the desert, and the Gunslinger followed..."

Edited by Nonek
  • Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Elba is a great actor but the blackwashing is silly. They couldn't find  a talented white actor for the role? Ove rhalf the Amerikan population is white but not one white actor was good enough? RACIST.

King is my favorite author but I say to him if you wanted the character to be black you should have him black in the book. Of course that won't change the fact Elba will likely do a great job.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

What's funny to me is that I immediately thought Mr McConaughey would play Roland because of that characters Bombardier Blue eyes, which Mr King goes into great detail in describing at length, Mr McConaughey's eyes are the perfect approximation while I assume Mr Elba will have to wear contacts or be altered by CG to accomodate.

Edited by Nonek

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Interesting news about the Dark Tower but I have to admit that I thought the first book was the only worthwhile one. After that I think Mr King lost his hold on his creative vision. That said the first book is a fairly self contained experience to me, worthy of re-reading every few years, and that opening line is still perfect.

"the Man in Black fled across the desert, and the Gunslinger followed..."

For me the first three books are great. After them every new book in the series has been a disappointment. I still haven't read the last one. I just don't want to.  

Elba is a great actor but the blackwashing is silly. They couldn't find  a talented white actor for the role? Ove rhalf the Amerikan population is white but not one white actor was good enough? RACIST.

King is my favorite author but I say to him if you wanted the character to be black you should have him black in the book. Of course that won't change the fact Elba will likely do a great job.

Morgan Freeman was great as Red in Shawshank.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

In other casting news Ian McShane is poised to play Mr Wednesday in American Gods.

I haven't read it but does the character say ****sucker at all in the book?

Beem awhile since I read it, but I believe the answer is yes. This is a perfect casting.

NSFW

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

In other casting news Ian McShane is poised to play Mr Wednesday in American Gods.

I haven't read it but does the character say ****sucker at all in the book?

Beem awhile since I read it, but I believe the answer is yes. This is a perfect casting.

perfect casting would be burt lancaster, if he were still alive.  

am not recalling any ****sucker from wednesday, but ian is more than flexible enough, and you can almost hear ice cracking when mcshane monologues.

also a bit sweary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSkOyhmt_-g

HA! Good Fun!

ps our actual first choice(s) for the role, other than burt lancaster, woulda' been harrison ford, liam nesson or mel gibson.  not 'cause they is better actors than mcshane, but rather 'cause they can do tough and grizzled, and they typical play good guys.

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I don't think the movie will be worse than the originals. I mean, they are cool and stuff, but I still don't think they are as exceptional as people make them to be.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."