Movies You've Seen Recently Thread

Blarghagh

For another good but disturbing movie..

The Voices.

Ryan Reynolds doing a rather outstanding performance as that slightly odd guy striving for normalcy in a small town, while doing his 9-5 job. Only to turn out to be a wee bit schizophrenic, with his cat and dog talking to him and offering advice. Things take a turn for the worse when his office crush stands him up on a date, then he accidentally kills her.

It aims for dark comedy, but it keeps sliding into very serious, dark areas as Reynolds character deals with the worsening situation while being oblivious on so many levels as to what he's actually doing/behaving. Then it'll turn on its head, have a rather out there comedy moment that jumps for the light, only to then twist back to the rather creepy and disturbing schizophrenic off his meds moment.  

Gemma Arterton and Anna Kendrick help round out the supporting cast, and for the slightly bizarre, Reynolds actually does all the various voices of the animals that talk to him - A nice play on how they're all voices from his own head, even if the cat does talk in a murderous Scottish variation of his voice.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Oh man, I was excited for that once I saw the trailer and then I totally forgot about it. Thanks for reminding me!

I will say this, the trailer for the Voices make it seem much more brighter and manic than it actually is. It straddles that fine line of black comedy and quite serious dark mental disturbed places.

Scored Five Armies Extended for half-off. It's R-rated, for whatever reason (literally Some Violence) ... a few extra bloody decaps are all I noticed. 

The extended movie itself is pretty underwhelming but I'm super excited for the commentary and the final two appendices. 

All Stop. On Screen.

Horror Icons Unite

When The Expendables hit theaters back in 2010, it assembled a cast of some of the biggest action stars around, lead by Sylvester Stallone. Since then, there have been attempts to re-create this formula in other ways, such as an all-female version known as ExpendaBelles, and the Fast & Furious franchise's cast only keeps getting bigger and bigger after The Expendables came out. Now it seems that the horror genre is getting its own version of The Expendables with a new movie entitled Death House, which features a murderer's row of genre legends, according to iHorror.

The cast includes horror icons that any genre fan will be familiar with, such as Robert Englund, Danny Trejo, Michael Berryman, Kane Hodder, Dee Wallace, Bill Moseley, Barbara Crampton, Doug Bradley, Ken Foree, Camille Keaton and Don Shanks. Unfortunately, one of the other proposed stars, Gunnar Hansen, passed away in November. He also wrote the screenplay, which Harrison Smith (Zombie Killers: Elephant's Graveyard) will direct from. Take a look at the official synopsis below.

"The Death House is the Area 51 of Evil... a subterranean government facility that holds humanity's worst on nine levels. Hell, Dante's ninth level, holds the Five Evils... the "dark stars" of Death House. These individuals are so heinous they can never walk among society again. They may also be supernatural. Agents Toria Boon and Jae Novak have their own dark pasts, arriving at Death House to tour its levels and observe its denizens first-hand as well as the medical and mental experiments of Drs. Eileen Fletcher and Karen Redmane. Their depraved experiments date back to the Nazi doctors of WWII. Prison cells are virtual reality holo decks that recreate prisoner environments before they were incarcerated. A special hallucinogenic gas keeps inmates under control. The victims are homeless, bused into Death House to play literal victims while killing habits are studied. The results are sick, but only a hint of what goes on here. Hell literally breaks loose inside the facility when an EMP device detonates, killing all power and communication and... releasing every prisoner. Boon, Novak, and Fletcher are caught in a race against advancing prisoner hordes led by occultist Neo-Nazi Sieg. The monsters are freed, and they're going down. Boon and Novak's fight through Death House turns into a house of horrors gauntlet; their only hope of escape is descending into Hell and enlisting the help of the Five Evils. Events culminate in a violent face-to-face standoff with absolute evil... only to find that they have traveled down a rabbit hole and through a looking glass. Black is white and white is black and the definitions of good and evil no longer apply. Who are the monsters? Who will escape?"

It isn't known when production will begin on Death House, but the project's IMDB page includes a comment from one of the filmmakers, who states that the death of Gunnar Hansen set them back a bit, but they are "moving forward vigorously." The IMDB page currently lists an unspecified 2017 release date. It isn't known if a distributor is in place, but we'll keep you posted with any updates as soon as they're available.

Back in August, director Harrison Smith spoke with Dread Central about the project, which he said will combine the "grittiness" of Assault on Precinct 13 with the gore of Saw and the action of Jurassic Park. Other films such as Escape From New York, Resident Evil and The Wizard of Oz also provided inspiration for this unique tale. Take a look at the poster for Death House, and stay tuned for more updates.

Avengers Grimm

Rumpelstiltskin comes to earth where his magic allows him to take power, and Snow White, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Rapunzel, and Red Riding Hood Team up to stop him.

It was terrible.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I would like to have been surprised by that cameo, sir.  ;)

Got tickets for Tuesday ... I hope it's not super mondo crowded. I struggle with personal proximity paranoia. 

*not really ... people are just obnoxious up close in the dark

Edited by ManifestedISO

All Stop. On Screen.

I would like to have been surprised by that cameo, sir.  wink.png

My bad, sorry. :blush: Added tags.

To be fair, the only time you could honestly say you'd be surprised at a Stan Lee cameo in a film/tv show with Marvel characters is if he turned up in Fantastic Four.

Hell, he even managed an appearance for Lucky Man when it started on the UK tv. Of course, to be fair that's technically "Stan Lee's Lucky Man".

Deadpool is the best Deadpool.

Do you think Ryan Reynolds got by on his acting talent?

Ive never read the comics so I don't know how well he nails the true Deadpool personality, but hes very entertaining in the role. I can see him "owning" it like RDJr "owns" Ironman.

Ive never read the comics so I don't know how well he nails the true Deadpool personality, but hes very entertaining in the role. I can see him "owning" it like RDJr "owns" Ironman.

Hah, yes I agree but I was actually referencing

the scene where Deadpool describes to Blind Al that looks do matter. "You think Ryan Reynolds got by on his acting chops?" "Nope." "Wow, you are blind."

Hah, yes I agree but I was actually referencing

the scene where Deadpool describes to Blind Al that looks do matter. "You think Ryan Reynolds got by on his acting chops?" "Nope." "Wow, you are blind."

"Just don't make my supersuit green, or CGI" :lol:

• Like 1

Yes, that's what I thought, Fantastic Four and Deadpool are not Marvel Studios films, so, no cameo. 

Not a big deal, I shouldn't have said anything. It was the IPA talking. Myself bought me drinks for Valentine's Eve but then I passed out on me.

I don't think he's always asked and/or makes himself available for non-Marvel films.

That said, for FOX, he was Willie Lumpkin in Fantastic Four and cameod in X-Men and X-Men: The Last Stand, and portrayed himself in Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer (riffing on the comic scene where Stan and Jack Kirby try to get into the wedding of Reed and Sue).

The Deadpool appearance is actually a gag about his appearances - complete with labeling him as a "gratuitous cameo" in the opening credits

Anyhow, saw Deadpool and it is really good.  Very funny and over-the-top.  Might be worth seeing again, sometimes the audience laughed so much I think I missed a couple of jokes.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Deadpool. Solid entertainment but overrated. Its tone  was all over the place. The main story is rather boring and the flashbacks were too jumpy and takes you out of the movie. It would have been better if it just told the story from beginning to end the old fashion way. Saving grace was good action and mostly good acting espicially by Reynolds who saves the movie, imo. Without him, the MMA fighter, his wife, and best friend, the movie would have sucked. 6/10. Still better than the ****ty Avengers and that stupid space monkey movie avengers wannabe.

• Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"Without him, the MMA fighter, his wife, and best friend, the movie would have sucked."

But that's half the cast? :p I think most movies suck if you suddenly cut out half the cast.

You're right about the flashbacks. I kept whispering "he's back on the island" to my girlfriend in reference to how much we hate the flashbacks in Arrow because that's what it was starting to remind me of. I was so happy when Deadpool said "all caught up!"

• Like 1