What are you playing now?

Blarghagh

Still on Steins;Gate. I really like this game. I just got an ending, a premature ending, and then fast forwarded a second playthrough to avoid that to progress into Chapter 7.

I also gave Soma a brief try a couple days ago. I like the opening.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

After buying myself a (new) 3DS XL all the way back in February, I finally played a game on it for the first time yesterday, and the game was Fire Emblem Awakening, mainly because my sister just started playing it too so I figured it'd be interesting to compare notes.

Not knowing much about it other than it being I think praised by consensus as the pick of the JRPGs on the 3DS, it makes sense that I play the game genre the 3DS is best known for, I suppose. Bear in mind the last JRPG I played was probably Final Fantasy 7 back in the 90s, so I'm going into it mostly blind.

Up to "chapter" (i.e. mission) five at the moment and first impressions are that it's a reasonably good game, but not a good RPG: it's about as much of an RPG as Jagged Alliance or Heroes of Might and Magic. But hey, those are good games to aspire too, so I'll go on.

Also played a bit of CK2 after getting the Charlemagne, Way of Life and Horse Lords DLCs. But it's still pretty much the same game even with those additions, and I don't see myself going on for long, they affect the core gameplay less than I'd hoped.

I played FE:A last year on 3DS. Good game, but the 3D was really bad. I had to turn the 3D off because it hurt my eyes.

Playing Pillars of Eternity now. I really love this game, it has some sort of magic that makes you want to keep going on and once you're hooked you can never let go. My GOTY so far.

Also, finished The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. It was entertaining but that is all there is to it, nothing more. 8/10

Also+ finished Alan Wake. The story was ok but the repetitive combat and the same group of enemies attacking you over and over again sure made things boring and frustrating. 6/10

Edited by Cat Food
  • Like 1

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

I decided to mess around with Aarklash: Legacy.  So far I've enjoyed it.

It is quite fun. Nice tactical combat. Though a lot of rpg fans probably hated the limited customization.

And watch out for that waterfall.

Edit:

On another note, I had my first fatality :(

My purifier had gone down before but had made a full recovery each time. As the warband's spell caster she had been a prime target. Then, while the warband was just standing around, waiting for the story hero, who had joined just for one specific mission, to finish cleansing the bell, a cultist rushed out behind a pillar. One crit and she went down. The others caved his head in in short order, but the damage had been done.

Luckily the mission leveled up my warband and I could hire a new purifier at the same level.

Edited by melkathi
  • Like 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

More MGSV for me.  I hate facing enemies like the Man on Fire.  I mean, they're challenging and sort of fun in a way because you have to use certain tactics (ie. water).  I just don't like fights where you have to survive rather than defeat the enemy.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

More MGSV for me.  I hate facing enemies like the Man on Fire.  I mean, they're challenging and sort of fun in a way because you have to use certain tactics (ie. water).  I just don't like fights where you have to survive rather than defeat the enemy.

That fight needed more to it. Like maybe you have to survive his attacks, douse him with water, then attack. And you repeat that a few, having to find a new source of water each time.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Also played a bit of CK2 after getting the Charlemagne, Way of Life and Horse Lords DLCs. But it's still pretty much the same game even with those additions, and I don't see myself going on for long, they affect the core gameplay less than I'd hoped.

No, EU/CK/etc. expansions don't usually do that much in that sense...tweak a few things, add a few more minor gameplay mechanics, flesh out a few other things a little more, and stick like a $15-$25 price tag on it. Personally, I don't think they're really worth their retail cost...particularly combined with Paradox splitting up their "expansions" and the cosmetic DLC associated with them into separate items on Steam (...in addition to whatever else other DLC there is to buy). Fans will defend them to the death (and not completely without reason, I will admit...they're not being COMPLETELY terrible), but it still seems pretty...I don't want to say "scummy", per se, but maybe a lesser version of that. There's good reason they're able to come out with a new, so-called "expansion" just every few months... Personally, I don't really like supporting that much nickle-and-diming...so I don't.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I recently picked up an old save about 1/5 the way through The Last of Us on the PS4.  Damn, that game is good.  Naughty Dog certainly knows pacing in a game.  Between this and the Uncharted series, I've really enjoyed my time with them.  I believe I pushed through about 2/3 of the way through TLOU and am soaking up each minute.  After that, I have Left Behind to keep me happy.  Going to try and finish it up before the Witcher DLC comes out.

That game alone convinced me to pick up a PS4.  Such a good game, great voice acting, and a deep story.  Even the combat was pretty damn good, considering it wasn't really supposed to be its focal feature.

I agree, the combat has the right amount of tension with each encounter and I really think the encounters are nicely spaced out with good exploration and storytelling as well.  I heard a ton about how good the game was since it released on the PS3, but stalled with it a couple times due to being too busy with other things, but I will agree, this game is easily one of those games you buy a system for.  Such a good story, with real emotion, great voice acting like you said, and just a fluid, nice amount of combat.  I believe I have about an hour or so left in the story, and I'm excited for the DLC that I picked up.  Also, I'll pay more attention of the news bits about a possible sequel from now on!

I started playing Jotun.  It's billed as an action-exploration game set in Norse mythology.  The game looks amazing, everything is hand drawn and the music is awesome.  It's mostly exploring outside of boss fights with giants.  I mean, there are enemies to fight outside of boss fights and dangers to avoid, but nothing too taxing, at least not yet.  The boss fights, though, can get pretty rough.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

No, EU/CK/etc. expansions don't usually do that much in that sense...tweak a few things, add a few more minor gameplay mechanics, flesh out a few other things a little more, and stick like a $15-$25 price tag on it. Personally, I don't think they're really worth their retail cost...particularly combined with Paradox splitting up their "expansions" and the cosmetic DLC associated with them into separate items on Steam (...in addition to whatever else other DLC there is to buy). Fans will defend them to the death (and not completely without reason, I will admit...they're not being COMPLETELY terrible), but it still seems pretty...I don't want to say "scummy", per se, but maybe a lesser version of that. There's good reason they're able to come out with a new, so-called "expansion" just every few months... Personally, I don't really like supporting that much nickle-and-diming...so I don't.

I don't like the business model either, but WinGameStore had them all for 75% off, which is a surprisingly steep discount for the current DLC, it's not getting any cheaper even if I waited a full year. Might've been a pricing error, given how much of an outlier it is and that no one else has put any discount whatsoever on it.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Try the mod After The End. Set in postapoc America, with a myriad of new religions (consumerist, Americanist, Gaian, Cetic, voodoo, rust cultists and on and on each with unique features). It really spices up the game and is very well done.

https://m.reddit.com/r/CrusaderKings/comments/3eoujq/after_the_end_06_released/

Fortune favors the bald.

I don't like the business model either, but WinGameStore had them all for 75% off, which is a surprisingly steep discount for the current DLC, it's not getting any cheaper even if I waited a full year. Might've been a pricing error, given how much of an outlier it is and that no one else has put any discount whatsoever on it.

Yeah, that is really cheap for a new expansion. Weird.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Still in Cities, I think I've failed to make a city I would live in. Right now have a problem of workers being too educated so my farming industry is collapsing (where is migrant worker DLC)

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I must say I really loved the mission in Dying Light where you're tasked with bringing in working UV-lights for some dude. It sounds like any old fetch quest, but it isn't. The UV-lights are mounted on top of the pylons of a huuuge bridge, and because they're UV, you can only see which ones are working at night.

Nighttime in Dying Light is scary as is, but on a bridge that's pretty narrow and absolutely brim-filled with undead.. it got my heart pumping, that's for sure. It also took me a while to figure out how to get to the top of the pylons and there were a few surprises along the way to the top too. All in all, a really atmospheric and surprisingly fun mission.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Still in Cities, I think I've failed to make a city I would live in. Right now have a problem of workers being too educated so my farming industry is collapsing (where is migrant worker DLC)

That game showed, without a doubt, that I'm an atrocious city planner.

Traffic is a *BLEEP*

I had to take a break from my EU1 Austria campaign because of busy work schedule. Right after I get back into normal, I have decided to buy Van Helsing I and II on GOG and been playing little bit of that once in a while. I started to play with Thaumaturge and right on the Hardest difficulty. It can be insane sometimes, but so far after more than 30 hours of playing, I have died around 30-35 times only. I am enjoying it much more than Torchlight which was for me pretty boring :-(

I have also dusted off my PS3 and started to attend Gran Turismo 6 online championships again. I am enjoying it a lot. Mostly the GT300 Championship and DTM Championship, because at these two, I don't suck as much as in GT500, and getting good points every race. In GT500 I am so bad, that I managed to get my first point in 13th race of the Championships, and it looks like it will stay that way a little bit longer, because next track is Brands Hatch and I am sooooo bad at this track...

And today I have finished the 899th out of 900 Battle Trophies in Star Ocean 4 :-D To kill 55 Grigori with Faize. I managed to kill 4 of them in the main game, so I have to kill 51 in Post game. The only way how to respawn them, was to kill the second hardest boss in the fame over and over. Had to kill him 15 times :-/ It took me maybe 20-25 hours, but now only last few hundred battles to get the last 3000 battles trophy and then I will be just one playthrough away from Platinum Trophy...

But before that playthrough I will have to finish the Austria Campaign and finish my Let's Play of EU so I can start playing EU2 and finish Lords of Xulima and Xenonauts as well :-D

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Game really hates my Purifiers.

We were in the nobles' district. There was a mercenary warband somewhere in the fog with us, and after losing another sister in the previous fight, nobody felt ****y. The sisters stuck close together, slowly advancing on the last known enemy position. Then a couple of mercenaries burst out of nearby buildings. The first went down quickly but a third charged the novice that had flanked him. My purifier moved to assist, and before you know it, the rest of the mercs appear, charge the purifier and cut her down. She took one of them out first.

Fast forward to the return after a decisive victory: after treating her injuries, the purifier got to roll not once, but thrice on the injury table :/ Lasting eye damage reduces her weapon and balaistic skill. A nervous twitch reduces her agility. But the near death experience increased her XP. Weapon skill penalty is annoying. Will have to check if she can still get the skill masteries i would have liked.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

One thing I'm noticing about Metal Gear Solid V is just how much there is to do. I'd almost say it's too much.  I'm starting to feel a bit overwhelmed between managing my hundreds of base employees, to the FOBs, to the Side Ops that never end.  I'm starting to forget key points about what the main story is even about because I'm spending each session catching up on everything else going on around me.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I finished SOMA.  Good game, not as scary as some of Frictional's previous work, but significantly better in terms of storytelling.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Yeah, I ended up getting that too and while I'm not through all the way, I haven't had to buy new pants. Amnesia was the most scared I've ever been, but this is mostly railroaded with a lack of mechanics. It feels closer to Thechineseroom's Machine for Pigs than it does Frictional's other horror titles. It's an interesting story (despite some of the dialogue sounding like a heavy handed term paper on transhumanism) but if you're in it for the scares, look elsewhere.

It did provide me with an abundance of the feels, though. Such as

the moment where you copy your consciousness to another body, copy being the operative word in that the old body still has its own consciousness, still exists and is in a place where it can't do anything, so you get to choose - do you mercy kill yourself or leave yourself to die alone?

It did provide me with an abundance of the feels, though. Such as

the moment where you copy your consciousness to another body, copy being the operative word in that the old body still has its own consciousness, still exists and is in a place where it can't do anything, so you get to choose - do you mercy kill yourself or leave yourself to die alone?

For the record, I did the following:

• Erased the Barndon Wau simulation and consciousness
  • Killed my copy

And

• Killed Sarah Lindwall

I struggled with the first two, the third decision was easy.

Edit:  I split up the spoilers into two, the first spoiler is stuff TrueNeutral has played through already, the second is something he likely hasn't played through yet.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

So on the one hand I hate the RNG in Mordheim. Or the RNG hates me. I miss ten attacks in a row - each with a 80%+ chance to hit. The AI hits ten times in a row.

But I seem to live the game. I have spend a lot of time on it every day the past few days and I'll spend more time on it. And in the end, that is the only thing that counts, right? That a gamer keeps going back for more of the game.