Random video game news... Games are Randomly News Worthy

Probably old news, but the new games on Steam have started to explicitly state how the generative AI was used during the development. So far, 3 of anime-style products released today have it.
Examples:

AI GENERATED CONTENT DISCLOSURE

The developers describe how their game uses AI Generated Content like this:

The illustrations in "Celebrities Hacked" start with a base render using Stable Diffusion. Our program refines the initial work to enhance quality. Graphic artists then improve and rework the renderings, maintaining our own style. We don't impersonate authors or use other stylistics, and we follow "Fair Use" criteria according to the Copyright Alliance.

The sprites, CGs, and backgrounds in this game are generated using AI.

Artificial intelligence in my game was used to make my sketches more expressive and beautiful, the images were checked by me for the fact that I could violate copyright and I did not find such a precedent.

I suppose, it allows to make informed decisions about purchasing them, which would be harder if it was a tag that could be added to the Ignore list (granted, mine is already full). E.g., DLSS (Deep Learning Super Sampling) is ML, so the text-based disclosure seems like the best solution.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Man, I'm really not a fan of people using AI for such stuff, even if they apply their own post processing to it. This really sucks.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Fate Stay Night is coming to Steam/Switch. Old, visual novel classic. If you're even a bit interested in that sort of stuff, this is worth playing.

(No gameplay other than branch choosing, and you probably want to use a walkthrough anyway.)

7 hours ago, Lexx said:

Man, I'm really not a fan of people using AI for such stuff, even if they apply their own post processing to it. This really sucks.

Hoping the laws will catch up one day. Being able to sell this garbage that's generated off the backs of other people's work is a joke.

• Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Looks even weirder than the first one. I can't wait.
Although, I'm guessing I'll have to wait for the PC version...

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I thought that guitar weapon was a little too much... Then I saw the robot dog with that little wienergun.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

11 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

Looks even weirder than the first one. I can't wait.
Although, I'm guessing I'll have to wait for the PC version...

True, I didn’t finish Death Stranding1 but I am very confused 😂. The baby spitting ship made me think for a second it will be a fantastic voyage kind of a thing. Guitar thing seems very very corny.

However! I do like what seems more dynamic environmental events (flood, dunes, avalanches). I found „walking simulator” of DS quite interesting and am keen to see them build on it.

The baby spitting the ship is probably just some sort of metaphor again. Since it's technically the same sequence as in DS1 when you die and get reborn.

I'm way more wtf about those tiny puppets, and the stupid guitar weapon. Guess we're going into the direction of Pinocchio maybe? Would also fit with the stranded whales from DS1.

• Thanks 1

^ I am definitely wondering what is up with that talking puppet. Or who the young blonde lady is going to be.
I'm also going to take a wild guess that Higgs will only be a secondary bad (not seen very often) or even end up as a half-good in the end.

Having not played any of his other games, I was kinda figuring that guitar weapon sequence was some odd homage to some previous game, like the weird boxing MGS4 homage Higgs fight in DS1. If it's not that ... well, whatever. It's probably not all that important, just some weird cutscene shenanigans. Kinda looks like Higgs channeling Alice Cooper.

The "these rooms are other crew" has me thinking the online connectivity aspect might be enhanced more.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

3 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

Or who the young blonde lady is going to be.
I'm also going to take a wild guess that Higgs will only be a secondary bad (not seen very often) or even end up as a half-good in the end.

Grown up baby perhaps? Will need to rewatch the trailer - I must say, I don’t know how I feel about Kojima, but he can always get my attention, even if just the sheer unusualness of his trailers. 
yeah, I was under impression Higgs is doing double cross in out favour in the trailer…. But than again I don’t know him well - I think I run into him once in my „ongoing” playthrough of DS1

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/watch-out-prince-of-persia-theres-another-platforming-packed-metroidvania-coming-to-steal-your-crown

A Metriodvania, a part of the EA Originals. The article compares it to the recent Ubisoft release. £18 instead of £50, uses Denuvo instead of Ubisoft DRM. From my experience (10 minutes), the demo runs, the controls are mostly rebindable, except the movement (several WASD presets for that, but no arrows or the numpad), the FPS drops are noticeable. I assume the latter will be solved upon the release.

The story seems fine - a young shaman makes a deal with a god of death to bring his father back.

Edited by Hawke64

On 2/2/2024 at 1:31 AM, Wormerine said:

Grown up baby perhaps?

With the weirdness of "the beach", I suppose that's possible - trailer implies Sam believes the child is deceased, but it could be some kind of bizarre rebirth/duplication. One chr. narration implied there's something off re: baby's existence/past.
Maybe the baby is a new Extinction Entity.  :shifty:

Higgs in the original game - he became weirdly sympathetic towards the end. Not in a turn-around/becomes good way, he's still deranged/psycho etc, mind. More in the "he was a sad puppet".

Edit: not that I know the lore overmuch. My eyes kind of glaze over when trying to watch hours of cutscenes in a game and that last few hours/end of the game in particular. I mostly paid attention to Mad's story arc. But it was all on the "so bizarre it's kinda interesting" side so I remember some stuff, heh.

Edited by LadyCrimson

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

On 2/5/2024 at 2:44 PM, Malcador said:

There's a demo on Steam as part of Next Fest. I haven't tried it, not my type of game, but anyone interested can try it for free right now.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Seen some people complaining about the controls and camera.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

From what I see it's the same concept as the originals, you click for the x axis then you click for the y axis. The camera was bad in the originals too from what I remember.

• Like 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

58 minutes ago, Sarex said:

From what I see it's the same concept as the originals, you click for the x axis then you click for the y axis. The camera was bad in the originals too from what I remember.

Ah, weak modern gamers then, pft.

• Haha 3

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

image.png.891a96e7185c823e82b44586176a1d57.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"