Random video game news... Games are Randomly News Worthy

6 hours ago, Malcador said:

just heard about it

hope microsoft crush bethesada next and give obsidian another chance with fallout

unlikely but would be nice outcome

• Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

Looks like one of the 3 founding members of Blizzard, Allen Adham, also left with this.

EDIT: Seems like he was the last one, the other two had already left before.

Edited by MrBrown

27 minutes ago, uuuhhii said:

after fallout 76 and starfield more people always going to lose their job

I'm starting to feel like a broken record, but Starfield is a commercial success. It's harder to track all of this stuff, since it released on Gamepass on day 1, but it was a top seller. 

It's too early to track whether it will have staying power, but the initial release went very well for them.

edit: They released something in December about 12 million people playing the game at this point.

edit 2: Fallout 76, on the other hand, had mediocre sales in its first year. They are still developing it, I guess, so someone must be playing it. But it's reasonable to call that a bust. 

Edited by Hurlshort
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Hurlshort said:

I'm starting to feel like a broken record, but Starfield is a commercial success. It's harder to track all of this stuff, since it released on Gamepass on day 1, but it was a top seller. 

I wonder if sales figures include refunded.
Also, these days, even when something is a "success", in that it sold (or at least "shipped", during physical product times) a lot of copies, or was "popular with Gamepass" (doesn't always translate into full sales), sometimes the company/owners/shareholders/whoever don't think it was successful enough - eg, it didn't meet desired world-domination and praise expectations and they start crying into their diamond glasses of gold whiskey, leading to who knows what company decisions. 😛

You could probably apply that to Blizzard and Diablo4, as well.

FF15 on paper was a decent/good success, but a combo of factors (not all of them related to money per se) still made them pull/cancel DLC and disband/scatter that whole department - to their brains/"profit math", they barely broke even I think, not worth more work.

That all said, I don't think Bethesda is going to abandon Starfield any time soon, so to speak. Updates and the mod kit may turn things around.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

10 minutes ago, LadyCrimson said:

That all said, I don't think Bethesda is going to abandon Starfield any time soon, so to speak. Updates and the mod kit may turn things around.

I'm saying there isn't anything to turn around. :p

But yes, it will likely get a ton of updates and mods over the years. It really is Skyrim in space, so I'm not sure what else people were expecting out of it. I think people also have trouble seeing it as a success because BG3 was such a massive hit. BG3 blew up and became a pop culture phenomenon. Starfield just sold as expected for a Bethesda game. I enjoyed both, so I don't get what all the fuss is about.

Jagged Alliance 3 was still better than both, btw. :) 

I was just talking from a business/cost cutting measures/potential continued sales perspective, keep in mind I think the estimated final budget re: Starfield was 300-400million. In terms of Steam, don't they take a large cut? Anyway I think they were wanting a billion in revenue. Which is likely to be reached, if gamepass and the negative ratings/customer support publicity don't affect long-term sales overmuch. Point being tho, that it takes a ton to just break even these days, by their reckoning.

Games and marketing budgets for such games are huge now and what owners want in return....it's like blockbuster movie math.

In terms of anything to turn around - well, public faith/mockery would be the main thing. It's still Negative/Mixed rated on Steam and that dev comment response to user reviews was a big lol.  Although as per usual with these kinds of hoopla's, many "hating" on SF right now, are still likely to turn around and buy the next Elder Scrolls no questions asked.

I still think Blizzard has not really recovered from that whole "YOU HAVE PHONES DON'T YOU" thing, public image wise. :lol:

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

2 hours ago, Raithe said:

The MSony consoles are effectively x86 PCs. I feel like any remaining wall is artificial.

• Like 3

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

On 1/26/2024 at 4:21 PM, Wormerine said:

And yet, still no Bloodbourne nor Demon Souls in sight.

I swear they're waiting until Bloodborne is emulatable before they decide they ought to start developing their "remaster" of it. Felt like that's what happened with Demon's Souls: playable on emulator in 2017, and then Sony set Bluepoint Games to start development of the crappy remaster in 2018. That, or maybe the rumor about Sony and FromSoftware having completely lost the source code for Bloodborne is true.

Thing is, I don't really care if they re-release it on console again, as I'd just run into the same problem that happened when it was a PS3 exclusive...I'll keep my PC around in some form or another for forever, but certainly not these crapbox consoles.

• Like 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

13 hours ago, Lexx said:

I just want Bloodborne without that huge input lag. ;(

Are you sure, that it’s not just the issue of the TV and HDMI? I was having trouble with FFX lightning dodging due to big input lag, until I found out, that’s not the issue of the console/game, but my TV. Gaming mode and some other minor settings on TV solved the issue for me.

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Nah, I had the same input lag on completely different setups. There's also lots of videos about it -- it's simply a game with input lag.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I see. Will be pain then, when I start to play it for a first time :(

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

On 1/26/2024 at 7:12 PM, Hurlshort said:

It's too early to track whether it will have staying power, but the initial release went very well for them.

edit: They released something in December about 12 million people playing the game at this point.

edit 2: Fallout 76, on the other hand, had mediocre sales in its first year. They are still developing it, I guess, so someone must be playing it. But it's reasonable to call that a bust. 

Correct and sales  figures  matter.  They literally are the  most important factor  in the sustainability of any gaming franchise or development studio. Nothing matters overall  as much as sales  figures,  marketing and reviews is only part  of a products success 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, BruceVC said:

Correct and sales  figures  matter.  They literally are the  most important factor  in the sustainability of any gaming franchise or development studio. Nothing matters overall  as much as sales  figures,  marketing and reviews is only part  of a products success

No, it is net profits that matter. Otherwise, what you are saying is that every game made must sell as much as the biggest seller or else it is a "sales failure.," which would be an unsustainable creativity model.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, kanisatha said:

No, it is net profits that matter. Otherwise, what you are saying is that every game made must sell as much as the biggest seller or else it is a "sales failure.," which would be an unsustainable creativity model.

Yes but net profit  is part of sales,  you cant have any  profit without  sales

And once a game is completed  gross profit and net profit will  be a big part of the overall revenue because operating costs and cost  of  sales   arent much especially with digital  downloads

Thats why revenue is always at the top a standard P&L statement and then you deduct expenses  and tax to end  up with Net Profit 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

10 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

Yes but net profit  is part of sales,  you cant have any  profit without  sales

And once a game is completed  gross profit and net profit will  be a big part of the overall revenue because operating costs and cost  of  sales   arent much especially with digital  downloads

Thats why revenue is always at the top a standard P&L statement and then you deduct expenses  and tax to end  up with Net Profit

No, what I'm saying is that net profit and not net sales/revenue is what matters. For example:

Game A) 12X revenue, 10X cost

Game B) 4X revenue, X cost

Which game is the better deal for the developer?

But even if you had:

Game A) 20X revenue, 10X cost

Game B) 2X revenue, 1X cost

Does this mean every developer must only make Game A and never Game B?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1