Coronavirus : Country readiness

BruceVC

Spain: round-the-clock curfew is now in effect, you may not leave your home except under force majeure circumstances and never in groups, keep your distance from others at all times

Also Spain:

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Are the police under orders to shoot to kill if they disobey? Or will they have to touch them while arresting them therefore spreading the virus?

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

2 hours ago, Volourn said:

Well.. no work for me for next little while. All shut down. Kinda weird in proactiveness. No confirmed cases in my town though the mayor  put himself un lock down because he had been in the same room with someone in some sort of conference a few months ago. Whelp. Fun times.

P.S. Any gov't who threatens force and murder over this is EVIL. Period. So far, as I am no fan of Trudeau, but he has done decent considering we in Kanada have been fortunate so far. 

Volo its good to compliment and recognize your PM, no need to apologize 

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

This is the first time in 48 years of living in the same area that I've seen people with masks on. Not a lot of them, but some. Which is not to say there weren't other times people did such around here. Only saying it's the first time *I've* seen it in public vs. a news story of Michael Jackson or some outbreak in another country.

I'm waiting for the consumer version of hazmat outfits to show up as mandatory wear if you even so much as step outside.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

2 hours ago, Volourn said:

Are the police under orders to shoot to kill if they disobey? Or will they have to touch them while arresting them therefore spreading the virus?

UAV strike.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

2 hours ago, BruceVC said:

Volo its good to compliment and recognize your PM, no need to apologize 

Unless your PM is an utter piece of incompetent ****, in which case there is never going to be any apologies needed... The science behind getting such an individual relelected (nope, Aussies are NOT the smartest people in the world, I do sometimes call it a third world country and actually mean it)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

4 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

I'm waiting for the consumer version of hazmat outfits to show up as mandatory wear if you even so much as step outside.

I wanted a hazmat suit even before this pandemic. It'd just be a cool thing to own!

• Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I remember our NBC gear drills in the army. They are a ****ing pain to get into and out of if you want the suit to protect you for ****, and you'll be completely miserable the whole time you're wearing it.

I'd imagine the folks in the units being deployed for that crap would prefer just about any other kind of emergency...

• Like 5

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

7 minutes ago, 213374U said:

I remember our NBC gear drills in the army. They are a ****ing pain to get into and out of if you want the suit to protect you for ****, and you'll be completely miserable the whole time you're wearing it.

I'd imagine the folks in the units being deployed for that crap would prefer just about any other kind of emergency...

Plus it was made quite clear the purpose of the gear was to keep you alive long enough to accomplish the mission. Not keep you alive period. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

17 hours ago, 213374U said:

17 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

Plus it was made quite clear the purpose of the gear was to keep you alive long enough to accomplish the mission. Not keep you alive period. 

I served my time in the Danish Civil Defense (Denmark at the time still had the draft, you picked a number from a ballot, low numbers went to do military service, mid range numbers go to the civil defense and high numbers are "jack pots", you go free).

We were constantly drilling for what In Danish was called "ABC" warfare (Atomic, Biological and Chemical). The gear for the chemical warfare stuff was not what the 100% hermetical stuff you see today and part of the kit was a satchel of Atropine injectors for nerve gas emergencies, the ubiquitous gas mask and the suit and wrappings around wrists and ankles to seal the gaps between the suit and gloves/boots. Atomic warfare, well, the strategy was to survive the blasts, so mostly similar gear and Geiger counters (and Iodine tablets, yeah, no kidding).

Now, for biological warfare, the teachers pretty much taught us, don't bother. If someone is stupid enough to let a deadly pandemic loose, pray to Odin, Jehova, Cernunnos, Allah, Your Mother or whatever, because the world (and you, by association) is screwed beyond repair.

• Like 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Upworthy - Millenials and Boomers may freak out over social distancing, but for Gen X it's finally time to shine

I am #GenX. We perfected social distancing before it was trendy. I have no problem whatsoever with staying inside all day and entertaining myself and living off of snacks.

ETG4j-YVAAAs1SI.jpg

• Haha 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

US, UK coronavirus strategies shifted following UK epidemiologists' ominous report

For the study, researchers used a simulation model that was originally developed to support pandemic flu planning and modified it to examine the impact of certain scenarios for the coronavirus pandemic. Their models show that under a mitigation strategy: "even if all patients were able to be treated, we predict there would still be in the order of 250,000 deaths in GB, and 1.1-1.2 million in the US." It was not immediately clear what length of time researchers assumed to be the full course of the pandemic.

The study concludes that the suppression strategy will likely lead to the disease quickly spreading again once these measures are lifted, and that such measures will be needed periodically until a vaccine is found. It says: "The major challenge of suppression is that this type of intensive intervention package -- or something equivalently effective at reducing transmission -- will need to be maintained until a vaccine becomes available (potentially 18 months or more) -- given that we predict that transmission will quickly rebound if interventions are relaxed."

one hopes these is worst case scenarios

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

For the cheap repost of social media political commentary...

Image may contain: 1 person, possible text that says '42% 6:28 AM At some point, we have to talk about the fact that, in what is consistently touted as thriving economy, the key concern w/closing schools b/c of COVID-19 is children who rely on school food won't get to eat." If the economy is so great, why aren't the babies eating? Erika Nicole Kendall @bgg2wl'
Edited by Raithe
  • Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

In Sydney Australia, I saw the panic buying in January and started prepping in February. A lot of people don't realise the panic buying started earlier than a couple of weeks ago. It was only when it hit supermarkets that people started to take notice because that was when it affected them - it was happening earlier than that. Most people just either ignored it, didn't take notice or laughed at the preppers. I also had my girlfriend watch Contagion (2011) back in Feb so she understood what was going to happen. Panic buying (which we were seeing in hardware stores at the time) would happen in supermarkets in a few weeks, stock market crash and maybe a run on the banks. So we transferred all our super to cash and got out of the stock market. At the moment, we don't need to go to the supermarket for another 3 months.

There's also a misconception between hoarding and prepping. When we were prepping, we we buying two or three packs of 18 roll toilet paper while there was still 30-40 packs on the shelf, 4 boxes of tissues while there was still 200 boxes on the shelf,  4 packs of milk powder while there was still 30 packs on the shelf, and so on. Buying two to three times more is prepping, clearing out the entire shelf is hoarding.

Now what we did as prepping would be seen as hoarding by some. No it's not. Also, the preppers finished prepping at least 2 weeks ago.

The alternative to all this mess is pox parties. Send all healthy volunteers under 50 to summer infection camps for a couple of weeks, with regular health checks and all the free Corona beer they can swallow. Boom! Herd immunity in a couple of months.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Anyone here that runs folding@home by the way?

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken