Coronavirus : Country readiness

BruceVC

There are so many varieties of white, brown, and black rice that it's difficult for me to even establish what I like. The main rice variety I use is basmati white rice, which you can obviously turn into yellow or fried rice (and I very often do both), and as of late, I've also been mixing in some variety of thai black rice. I tend to stay away from jasmine (another very popular variant) as well as short grain rices in general, and I usually can't take most brown rices for texture reasons (gritty rice, bleck!). Years back, I used to use an expensive Japanese ricecooker...and then I learned the "secret" of good stovetop-cooked rice which creates such vastly superior rice to ricecooker rice that I'm disgusted with myself that I ever put up with any kind of ricecooker rice. It is a little more work, but you do get much more control over how the rice actually turns out.

(e): The couple of kinds of black rice I've had have been a bit oddball in my experience. Very wet and soft, but they take in flavor like no kind of white rice I've ever had can. That's why I like mixing it in with white, to get the best of both worlds so to speak - black will do the heavy-lifting in terms of (absorbing) flavor, while the basmati's texture and consistency will take care of the rest.

(e): Words. I grew up with an Asian-cooking mom, so rice is kind of a big deal to me: my diet will legitimately be in trouble if I can't get a hold of any (especially troublesome for me because I can't really eat bread for health reasons!). Right now, I have about 40 pounds worth left, but that's only a few months' worth at best. Hopefully that'll be enough until more gets in stock...I'll be keeping my eyes peeled, since currently everything local is gone and everything online is either gone or 3rd party price-gouged crap. That might be more than enough, or...it might not be, depending on how long the crisis lasts.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

2 hours ago, Gorgon said:

Wild Rice

am knowing wild rice is healthy. healthier. unfortunate, our opinion is it tastes a bit like cardboard shavings. we typical make wild rice edible by adding to or covering up with other stuff, which shouldn't be the point. however, we have considered healthier alternatives to some o' our carb-heavy choices and while we ain't a fan o' wild rice, we would consider ways to make edible. got any prep suggestions?

am told quinoa is kinda a super-food alternative to rice. in another thread we were joking 'bout omega 3 and quinoa, somewhat surprising, actual provides omega 3 in relative small amounts per oz, but it adds up if it becomes a dietary staple. is a seed and not a grain so is higher in protein than most rice alternatives.

am not good 'bout eating foods which is good for us unless such foods is also good. period. can't bring our self to sacrifice taste for sake of health. 

got a similar pov 'bout health concerns in general, which is why am relative unaffected by stuff such as pandemics and whatnot. what is the point o' living healthy if it means we gotta be miserable 24/7? we inform and take steps to prevent endangering others, but we don't work self up over stuff which we cannot and/or will not change... save again for recognition that our own selfishness should not be allowed to endanger others. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

sAj74aC.png

• Like 1
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

The reaction to this is more dangerous than the virus itself and that is no easy task since it is no laughing matter. At least it shouldn't be but the extreme overreaction compared to others that have caused more damage is definitely lauaghable and dangerous.

• Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

It does highlight a few things.

Advice to take time off from work if you have flu-like symptoms, and get checked by the doctor.

Now, if you're working the service industry in the US, averaging about $8.70 an hour, not getting medical insurance from the job...  Not getting any serious paid sick leave, and barely scraping rent while feeding the kids. Can you afford to take time off, and the (from what several people have told me) is likely a $300-400 Doctor's bill for the average GP visit and test?

If they don't take time off and they have it, they become spreaders of any potential disease. If they do take time off and visit the doctor, it's maybe not paying the rent that month.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

repeat:

for those wondering why people are making such a big deal over a virus which is only 10-20x more lethal than the seasonal flu *groan* please read. 

the chinese extreme efforts to contain is not an overreaction even if such measures were unnecessarily delayed.

US, in particular, should be concerned by italy situation. in the States we got a high homeless population, high prison/jail population, and 90% of US hospitals were, before coronavirus, operating beyond capacity. our healthcare system relies on private and state more than fed, so a national disease threat is more difficult to respond to than would be the case in almost any european nation. our emergency responders is not national but rather is state and local, each with their own training and guidelines-- get all such folks equipped and acting as needed is a challenge. etc.

again, am not suggesting panic, but the people who continue to be surprised by the concern from people such as dr. fauci is disappointing.  you should be aware before you is dismissive.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

8 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

If COVID-19 is an escaped bio-weapon it is an extremely low grade one. I'm no expert on that kind of thing but I expect a bio-weapon will be more like the hemorrhagic fever they talked about on The Americans. 

There's no chance it's a bioweapon. It may have been being studied at the bioweapons institute in Wuhan- may as in it's possible, but there's no evidence beyond circumstance. I wouldn't put it past people to use its spread as a smallpox blanket type bioweapon though.

9 hours ago, Gromnir said:

am knowing it sounds alarmist, but what if coronavirus does become seasonal in same sense as does flu?

Pretty good chance it will. It's got pretty high infectivity, looks to be mutable and even if some places like China or ROK can achieve control by behavioural means others simply won't be able to so there's likely to be a reservoir virus population. The good news is that by and large such things get less virulent over time so a 3% death rate is unlikely to occur again any time soon, and the infectivity will drop once there's some herd immunity achieved- plus a vaccine at at least flu vaccine level of effectiveness is near inevitable*. The scenario where it's both seasonal and has the ability to infect ~half the world's population with a 3% death rate every year or even regularly is not one I'd spend any time worrying about in the same way I'm not worried about earth being hit by a large meteor or the poles reversing or similar.

*one of smallpox level effectiveness, ie able to get to eradication, is highly unlikely though. Unlike pox viruses the 'common cold' coronavirus doesn't even generate long term immunity to itself, and single strand RNA viruses inherently mutate, a lot.

NHL and MLB follow the NBA in stopping games for the time being.

Meanwhile I had a kid come back from a multiple week trip overseas, and the office didn't hold him to any quarantine protocol. Other students were freaking out. I emailed them about it, but ugh. :blink:

4 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

NHL and MLB follow the NBA in stopping games for the time being.

Meanwhile I had a kid come back from a multiple week trip overseas, and the office didn't hold him to any quarantine protocol. Other students were freaking out. I emailed them about it, but ugh. :blink:

quarantine is actual legal problematic. the fed has power to quarantine comes from the commerce clause of the Constitution. fed can quarantine those it identifies as problematic at points o' entry or those it believes may promote spread o' infection via interstate travel.

police power, which is basis for most quarantine efforts, is specific reserved to the states. as such, states have more power to quarantine... in theory. the thing is, individual states often do not have a cdc analogue or the necessary apparatus to carry out a quarantine action. 

so cdc has people and knowledge to implement effective quarantine measures but they actual lack power to do so. states, converse, have legal power to do quarantines, but they rare have peeple and, skill and training to implement quarantine. 

last large scale quarantines in the US were spanish flu, and if you wanna shock self with predictable tales o' government incompetence and unreasonable obtuseness, you may read history for how effective and humane were such efforts. 

at times like these we often wonder why isn't the government doing something more? why isn't the government doing something, anything? is hard to believe, but often our government doesn't have the existing capacity to do what needs be done and the current administration gutted the cdc and nsc personnel who were in the best position to mobilize needed national efforts once warning signs became apparent to most. 

HA! Good Fun!

8 hours ago, Volourn said:

The reaction to this is more dangerous than the virus itself and that is no easy task since it is no laughing matter. At least it shouldn't be but the extreme overreaction compared to others that have caused more damage is definitely lauaghable and dangerous.

Volo how do define " over reaction "  when people die? Is it really an over reaction when its your grandparents who get very sick?

I see Trudeau's wife has now got Coronavirus 

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-51860702

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, BruceVC said:

Volo how do define " over reaction "  when people die?

They're just pretending... 😇
(edit: people tend to become irrational during pandemics and major disasters)

• Thanks 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Tom Hanks and his wife have tested positive for covid-19. Same goes for Justin Trudeu.

I just hope Trump doesn't get the virus. I mean could you say at that point that the Chinese have assassinated Trump using bats?

But yeah, I bought 2 months worth of cat food for my cats. I should be ok. 

Edited by Katphood
  • Like 6

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Whelp, we've gotten to the bottom of this one. It's all Obama's fault that a virus no one ever heard of while he was in office is spreading unchecked across the globe: https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white-house/trump-condemns-cdc-lack-coronavirus-testing-blames-obama-n1157671

Where would be be without the leadership of Donald J Trump? No... seriously... :lol:

• Like 3

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

5 hours ago, Katphood said:

I just hope Trump doesn't get the virus. I mean could you say at that point that the Chinese have assassinated Trump using bats?

He has been exposed to it: https://www.the-sun.com/news/528592/president-trump-coronavirus-brazil-aide-mike-pence/

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

It seems so rare that the people actually responsible for a giant, unnecessary ****up with untold and unneeded suffering for everyone lower in the foodchain actually personally suffer for their actions (or inaction - Trump's done a lot of both so far). Trump's a notorious germaphobe, though - he's probably washing his hands hourly...or minutely. Even so, I'm not sure I necessarily want Trump to come down with coronavirus...at least he's scared of the virus and has personal reason to eventually really start taking it seriously (and is at least taking steps now...), as opposed to Mike "Pray-It-Away" Pence.

...Also would have to imagine the country would descend into absolute madness if Trump was seriously incapacitated or worse, so I don't really want that to happen either.

(e): I would also like to claim that "basic human empathy" comes into play at some point during my thought process, but I'm pretty sure Trump has all but burned every last vestige of that, so I'm just going to be thankful that there are rational reasons for not wanting him to get coronavirus.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2020/03/12/rep_katie_porter_vs_cdc_director_coronavirus_testing_costs_1330_administration_can_make_it_free.html?jwsource=cl

PORTER: Dr. Kadlec for someone without insurance do you know the out-of-pocket cost of a complete blood count test?

KADLEC: No, ma'am, not immediately.

PORTER: Do you have a ballpark?

KADLEC: Out of--with a co-pay, ma'am?

PORTER: Know, the out-of-pocket just the typical cost?

KADLEC: I do not, ma'am.

PORTER: Okay. These CB--eight CBC typically cost about $36. What about the out-of-pocket cost for a complete metabolic panel?

KADLEC: Ma'am, I would have to pass on that as well.

PORTER: Do you have any idea? Do you want to take a ballpark?

KADLEC: I would say $75.

PORTER: Okay, $58.

KADLEC: Getting closer.

PORTER: How about flu a, the flu a test?

KADLEC: Ma'am, again I would take a guess at about may be $50.

PORTER: $43. Flu--this is like the price is right. Flu be?

KADLEC: Too high again. I would probably say $44.

PORTER: That is good. How about the cost of an ER visit for someone identified as high severity and threat?

KADLEC: I'm sorry, ma'am, what was the question again?

PORTER: How about the cost of an ER visit for somebody identified as having high severity or high threat?

KADLEC: High severity - might ma'am, that is probably about $3000, $5000.

PORTER: That is $1151.

KADLEC: Too high again.

PORTER: This all totals up to $1331. That is assuming they are kept in isolation. Isolation can add up for one family already $4000 and fear of these costs are going to keep people from being tested from getting the care they need and from keeping their communities safe. We live in a world where 40 percent of Americans cannot even afford a $400 unexpected expense. We live in a world where 33 percent of Americans put off medical treatment last year and we have a $1331 expense conservatively just for testing for the coronavirus.

Dr. Redfield do you want to know who has the coronavirus and who doesn't?

REDFIELD: Yes.

PORTER: Not just rich people but everybody who might have a virus?

REDFIELD: All of America.

PORTER: Dr. Redfield are you familiar with 42CRF71.31--30, excuse me? 42CRF71.30? The code of federal regulations that applies to the CDC, 42CFR71.30?

REDFIELD: I think if you could frame what it talks about that would help me. I'm--I don't--

PORTER: Okay. Dr. Redfield I--I am pretty well known as a questioner on the hill for not--not tipping my hand. I literally communicated to your office last night and received confirmation that I was going to be asking you about 42CFR71.30. This provides a director may authorize payment for the care and treatment of individual subject to medical exam quarantine, isolation and conditional release.

REDFIELD: I know about in my office to tell me that. I just didn't know the numbers ma'am, Congresswoman.

PORTER: Great, so you are familiar. Dr. Redfield will you commit to the CDC right now using that existing authority to pay for diagnostic testing free to every American regardless of insurance?

REDFIELD: Well, I can say that we are going to do everything to make sure everybody can get the care they need.

PORTER: Nope, not good enough. Reclaiming my time. Dr. Redfield you have the existing authority. Will you commit right now to using the authority that you have invested in you under law that provides in a public health emergency for testing, treatment, exam, isolation without cost? Yes or no?

REDFIELD: What I am going to say is I'm going to review it in detail with CDC and the department--

PORTER: Know. I am reclaiming my time. Dr. Redfield respectfully I wrote you this letter along with my colleagues Rosa DeLauro and Lauren Underwood. Congresswoman Underwood and Congresswoman DeLauro. We wrote you this letter one week ago. We quoted that existing authority to you and we laid out this problem. We ask for a response yesterday, the deadline and the time for delay has passed. Will you commit to invoking your existing authority under 42CFR71.30 to provide for coronavirus testing for every American regardless of insurance coverage?

REDFIELD: What I was trying to say is that CDC is working with HHS now to see how we operationalize that.

PORTER: Dr. Redfield I hope that that answer weighs heavily on you because it is going to weigh very heavily on me and on every American family.

REDFIELD: Our intent is to make sure every American gets the care and treatment they need at this time of this major epidemic and I'm currently working with HHS to see how the best operationalize it.

PORTER: Dr. Redfield you don't need to do any work to operationalize. You need to make a commitment to the American people so they come in to get tested. You can operationalize the payment structure tomorrow.

REDFIELD: I--I think you are an excellent questioner so my answer is yes.

PORTER: Excellent. Everybody in America here that. You are eligible to go get tested for coronavirus and have that covered regardless of insurance. Please if you believe you have the illness follow precautions, call first, do everything the CDC and Dr. Fauci God bless you for guiding Americans in this time. Do not let a lack of insurance force in this crisis.

Edited by Raithe
  • Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."