Coronavirus : Country readiness

BruceVC

On 3/9/2020 at 4:08 PM, Skazz said:

Honest and perhaps stupid question, because I feel like I'm missing some major piece in the corona puzzle:

Why is it specifically toilet paper? Am I missing some important strategic value here?

Well, one person sneezes and and the crowd around them all crap their pants.

• Haha 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

People are stupid, they ought to buy adult diapers instead.

My workplace stopped handing out loan cards to drivers, meaning they won't be able to use our toilets and showers, and we don't hire in outside extra workers until this is over. 

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I believe the Coronavirus was created by the U.S. government to try to wreck China's economy.

But China is a tough beast and is recovering well.

The U.S., on the other hand has absolutely no idea how to deal with it so it's looking like it's ironically doing a much better job wrecking the U.S. economy!

So until we obtain solid leadership this thing will have to run its course.

• Haha 1

find an excuse to blame on media or blame on party? 

relevance?

177637282b5b3bd7c767a871954692ee.jpg

once again, penguin chicks is just as relevant and more adorable, so enjoy.

virus don't care 'bout stoopid partisan politics or conspiracy theories regarding the media. 

oh, and as a fiscal conservative who votes republican better than 80% of the time when is dem v. pub, @Gromnir with democrats suck too kinda stuff is rather pointless.

Harvard wants students to move out in 5 days in bid to 'de-densify' campus over coronavirus

HA! Good Fun!

ps for decades we has been accused o' being borderline ocd 'bout handwashing. worked at a juvenile detention facility for a few years and there were always some disease or parasite issue to be concerned 'bout while in contact with dozens o' kids per unit in less than ideal circumstances. got in the habit o' washing hands frequent and were told we should do so for ~ 1 minute as 'posed to current 20 second guideline. morning ablutions. before meal prep. after meal. bathroom. etc.  only takes a disease scare to make our crazy behavior mainstream? 

makes us wonder what it will take to normalize our other fringe behaviours. maybe the next threat o' pandemic or near-miss by a planet killer asteroid will have folks buying classic buicks or adopting  multiple pound dogs? seems less likely.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

2 hours ago, rjshae said:

Crackpot theories on COVID-19 are mutating faster than the virus itself.

Apparently Donal Trump believes a wall can keep the virus out of the US. He's such a genious 😂

Edit: That is so stupid even by his standards, that it was a toss up between here and the funny thread

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Somewhere Bob and Walton are talking about containing this.

Edited by Malcador
  • Thanks 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

11 hours ago, ComradeMaster said:

I believe the Coronavirus was created by the U.S. government to try to wreck China's economy.

But China is a tough beast and is recovering well.

The U.S., on the other hand has absolutely no idea how to deal with it so it's looking like it's ironically doing a much better job wrecking the U.S. economy!

So until we obtain solid leadership this thing will have to run its course.

I am sure you are joking about the USA creating this virus, we already know where its genesis is and what created it

It exists and spread to humans from an animal form of the virus and was created due to the exotic and wild animals that some Chinese eat and comes from there wildlife markets which the Chinese government has now outlawed and made trading in exotic animals as illegal.....finally, well done Chine 

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/2020/01/china-bans-wildlife-trade-after-coronavirus-outbreak/

I hope Ktchong is okay, I assume he eats exotic animals in sympathy and support of China :p

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

23 minutes ago, ComradeMaster said:

First of all, recent studies show that it's a sign of high intelligence to believe in conspiracy theories.

Second of all, stirring the pot is healthy for discussion and a mental excercise.

These Euro-centric liberals just don't understand that.

I am really enjoying your honesty and views, you can be  sometimes difficult to understand which is why I generally ask you directly or use links so you can see what I am saying is based on real facts and or a " real "  story ( sometimes the link can be wrong which is rare but it can happen ) ...but you make me laugh :grin:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

20 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

If we created it, how do we no know how to deal with it?

They will definitely have a vaccine  for this going forward but we didnt create it , its an evolution of an animal virus which is now in human form 

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

Well the you know what is about to hit the fan here in Seattle. Cases are doubling by the day, and the Governor is planning to ban all events with more than 250 people in the three hardest-hit counties. It has to be done, I suppose. At work I'm nearly the only one in the office because people are working virtual whenever they can. The store shelves are empty of TP, hand sanitizers, and thermometers. People are staying away from restaurants and various businesses are hurting. It's... unpleasant to watch.

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

33 minutes ago, ComradeMaster said:

First of all, recent studies show that it's a sign of high intelligence to believe in conspiracy theories.

Did conspiracy theorists determine that? Seems like a conspiracy theory to me.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

5 minutes ago, rjshae said:

Well the you know what is about to hit the fan here in Seattle. Cases are doubling by the day, and the Governor is planning to ban all events with more than 250 people in the three hardest-hit counties. It has to be done, I suppose. At work I'm nearly the only one in the office because people are working virtual whenever they can. The store shelves are empty of TP, hand sanitizers, and thermometers. People are staying away from restaurants and various businesses are hurting. It's... unpleasant to watch.

This is a realistic but concerning post because I think most states are going to go the same way if we look at Italy and South Korea

John Milton 

The US' ineptitude dealing with this is going to make it worse for Canada, heh

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

11 minutes ago, Malcador said:

The US' ineptitude dealing with this is going to make it worse for Canada, heh

You right about this, for once  your occasional  cynicism is correct Im afraid :teehee:

John Milton 

1 hour ago, ComradeMaster said:

Second of all, stirring the pot is healthy for discussion and a mental excercise.

These Euro-centric liberals just don't understand that.

actually, recent studies show much o' what older studies reveal: lack o' education and a collection o' fringe personality traits is most common predictors o' a belief in conspiracy theory.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/09/180925075108.htm

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/psych-unseen/201904/what-makes-people-believe-in-conspiracy-theories

conspiracy theories is also more common for for losers.

“Conspiracy theories are for losers,” says Joseph Uscinski, associate professor of political science at the University of Miami and co-author of the 2014 book American Conspiracy Theories. Uscinski stresses that he uses the term literally, not pejoratively. “People who have lost an election, money or influence look for something to explain that loss.” --from a time mag article from 2017.

so, less educated schizoids (not necessarily clinical diagnosed schizophrenic, but those with schizophrenic traits) who is seeing selves as getting the fuzzy end o' the lollipop is, 'ccording to recent studies, the folks most likely to indulge in conspiracy theory nonsense, theories which necessarily depend on the absence o' evidence and/or comprehension to proliferate. 

listen to joe rogan talk with neil degrasse tyson regarding moon landing hoax. is surreal the ignorance o' rogan as he continues to explain why he believed in hoax... though we will note moon hoax is almost unique 'cause there is just so much evidence which clear refutes the hoax.

is unlikely folks actual read articles, so will share our favorite line from the 2018 science daily offering:

"Hart's study also showed that conspiracists had distinct cognitive tendencies: they were more likely than nonbelievers to judge nonsensical statements as profound (a tendency known as "BS receptivity")."

so, "bs receptivity" is the clinical term? might need to use that one in the future.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

3 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

"Hart's study also showed that conspiracists had distinct cognitive tendencies: they were more likely than nonbelievers to judge nonsensical statements as profound (a tendency known as "BS receptivity")."

so, "bs receptivity" is the clinical term? might need to use that one in the future.

HA! Good Fun!

:lol: BS Receptivity. I am so stealing that!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

41 minutes ago, Skazz said:

Masaka is waking.

ah.

sokath, his eyes uncovered.

ps

1hrn3n.jpg

am kidding.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1