Weird - Random - Interesting

Amentep

2 hours ago, Azdeus said:

Mostly @Guard Dog 😄

This is why Pickett's Charge was doomed before the first rank stepped out from the treeline.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

On 6/16/2020 at 6:12 AM, Gfted1 said:

New Calculations Hint There Could Be at Least 36 Alien Civilisations in Our Galaxy.

A key take-away from that study:

...the galaxy is a big place. Scatter 36 civilisations throughout its vast reaches, and you end up with an average distance of 17,000 light-years between each pair, according to the team's calculations.

There wasn't much of a civilization on Earth 17,000 years ago. I doubt we'll be chatting any time soon.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

1 hour ago, rjshae said:

A key take-away from that study:

There wasn't much of a civilization on Earth 17,000 years ago. I doubt we'll be chatting any time soon.

keep in mind any return message is gonna take just as long. message also need be aimed at where the recipient will be in 17,000 years, 'cause aim where they was and you miss target. is a message being sent in a vacuum, so is not omnidirectional like a radio tower. earth is also in a relative dead zone o' the galaxy, which decreases odds as stars is actual more sparse in our neck o' the woods, so-to-speak. if other galaxy civilizations is playing odds and random searching, the chances they look in our direction is gonna be low, or so we assume. 

we have attempted to explain the vastness o' the galaxy previous and we always fail. however, our fail is in part 'cause we recognize we is faking it. sure, we understand the numbers and science, but we cannot genuine comprehend how distant is a light year when it literal takes more than three minutes for light to reach freaking mars when mars is closest possible to earth. mars. hundreds o' light years as a distance is an abstraction we only comprehend relative to some other abstraction we cannot genuine comprehend. 

we look at stars and wonder. given the vastness o' the universe, much less galaxy, am recognizing how improbable it is we are alone as an "intelligent" civilization. then we we reflect and also realize einstein were probable correct as he were 'bout so much and ftl is impossible. heck even the stuff einstein were unconvinced he were right 'bout is stuff he were right 'bout. would not surprise us if thousands o' galactic civilizations exist in the milky way, civilizations we will never hear from much less interact. galaxy is just so utter vast it is beyond our capacity to fully grasp.

still, it doesn't hurt to look and wonder, does it?

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

First a global pandemic, then mass layoffs, then civil unrest, and now apparently an "abnormally large" dust cloud is headed across the Atlantic toward the gulf coast. 

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/abnormally-large-dust-cloud-making-5000-mile-trek-across-atlantic/761708/amp

2020 isn't even halfway over yet. What's next, locusts? It's going to be locusts, isn't it?

Alright, which one of you jokers broke the seventh seal? :bat:

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

well, fifth trumpet includes the locusts, after which is sixth trumpet and a third o' mankind being wiped out by fire, smoke, brimstone and plagues. 

'course there is almost always a locust swarm somewhere in africa doing ungodly damage. 

search

well that was ez.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

On 6/20/2020 at 11:56 AM, Keyrock said:

2020 isn't even halfway over yet. What's next, locusts? It's going to be locusts, isn't it?

Yes they've been having locust outbreaks in East Africa, the Middle East, and India. If we power off and reboot, will that fix 2020?

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

1 hour ago, rjshae said:

Yes they've been having locust outbreaks in East Africa, the Middle East, and India. If we power off and reboot, will that fix 2020?

Just wait for someone to declare 2020 a hoax, manufactured by fake news. It was a GREAT year! 😛

Edit: My favourite 2020 joke so far is the picture someone posted in the funny thread with your girl Pandora with her latest unboxing video

• Like 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

On 6/20/2020 at 8:56 PM, Keyrock said:

How about Volcano? 😄

• Gasp! 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

32 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

I'm sure if, that if humans don't kill themselves off the surface of the earth, Yellowstone will do it for them.

"In terms of large explosions, Yellowstone has experienced three at 2.08, 1.3, and 0.631 million years ago. This comes out to an average of about 725,000 years between eruptions. ... Although another catastrophic eruption at Yellowstone is possible, scientists are not convinced that one will ever happen."

https://www.usgs.gov/faqs/yellowstone-overdue-eruption-when-will-yellowstone-erupt?qt-news_science_products=0#qt-news_science_products

Reminds me of one of the reasons I was keen to leave Wellington (NZ) and move elsewhere. Down through Lambton Quay (in the the heart of the city) are plaques commemorating the shoreline that was there in 1855.... and Wellington seems to get a major earthquake like every 150 years or so? (don't quote me on the last figure, based on memory). If the last one moved the shoreline 250 meters... better hang on to hats and umbrellas, it might get rocky.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Yeah, the super volcano currently (it moves, or rather the crust moves) beneath Yellowstone is overdue and when it blows we may get something not unlike nuclear winter. This would be the year for it...

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

39 minutes ago, Gorth said:

I'm sure if, that if humans don't kill themselves off the surface of the earth, Yellowstone will do it for them.

"In terms of large explosions, Yellowstone has experienced three at 2.08, 1.3, and 0.631 million years ago. This comes out to an average of about 725,000 years between eruptions. ... Although another catastrophic eruption at Yellowstone is possible, scientists are not convinced that one will ever happen."

https://www.usgs.gov/faqs/yellowstone-overdue-eruption-when-will-yellowstone-erupt?qt-news_science_products=0#qt-news_science_products

Reminds me of one of the reasons I was keen to leave Wellington (NZ) and move elsewhere. Down through Lambton Quay (in the the heart of the city) are plaques commemorating the shoreline that was there in 1855.... and Wellington seems to get a major earthquake like every 150 years or so? (don't quote me on the last figure, based on memory). If the last one moved the shoreline 250 meters... better hang on to hats and umbrellas, it might get rocky.

Honestly, I'm more worried about Campi Flegrei - it's closer, and situated by Naples - and up until about 2010 the ground shifts in that area was due to hydrothermal activity, while now it's because of shifts in the magma chamber below. >_<

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

If a super volcano went off I'd almost rather be at ground zero and die quick, rather than slowly starve like the "lucky" folks that survived the initial eruption.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Yeah, it'd be preferable for me to. That, and I'd look kind of ridiculous in leather and football pads, I'd rather not subject people to that. :(

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Gorth said:

I wouldn't be overly worried about a supereruption from Yellowstone. The hotspot is tracking under the Rockies (or tributary range) so it's less likely to erupt and if it does you wouldn't be worrying about it for long at least. OTOH if you were in Wellington there were twenty VEI 7+ including 4 VEI8 (super)eruptions in the last million or so years from the Taupo volcanic zone to worry about as well as the potential 7-8 MMS earthquake every couple of centuries. Though at least from a NH point of view most of the fallout from an eruption would be confined to the southern hemisphere. There's also Toba though, which is a lot closer to the equator.

I'm just waiting for a new volcano in Auckland- last eruption just within Maori history/ legend, so due another one now- as some hot magma would massively improve the city...

• Like 1

22 hours ago, rjshae said:

Now there is one moving from Argentina to Brazil.

Maybe cyborg locusts are in the works for later this year. It is 2020 after all.

On 6/16/2020 at 10:12 AM, Gfted1 said:

This is actually just a guess. What is the chance a planet with life will develop an advanced civilization? 10%? 1%? 0.1%? Just in this number we already have an uncertainty of 1000. And there are several in Drake's "Equation".

The real number of alien civilizations could be anything from 1 to 1 million. 36 is not much better a guess than any other number in this range.

sign.jpg

We sing it in funny voices to try and crack each other up.

• Hmmm 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Thankfully we've not done that for 30 years or so.

• Thanks 1
  • Gasp! 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I have neither sung Happy Birthday not had it sung to me in at least 20 years, probably closer to 30.

The Polish birthday song "Sto Lat" (100 years) is just as corny as the English one, btw.

• Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸