Weird - Random - Interesting

Amentep

12 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

I'm not too worried about AI being able to copy patterns... I'm more worried when it gets creative and nobody sees what's coming before it's too late.

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Boys let black widow bite them in hopes of turning into Spider-Man

You know the ironic thing is Peter Parker never got much joy from being Spider Man. If he had to do it over again I think he would have swatted the spider. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Was an interesting watch, although I am sure it's biased in some way I do not know about (was reading a r/history discussion on it and noticing who likes it versus who dislikes it gives me that suspicion).  The Yugoslav conflict is the next thing I plan to learn about so any other material suggested would be welcome.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

• Haha 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

NextPittsburgh - In the market for a pirate bus?

pirate-e1591188801289.jpeg

Does your best friend wear an eye patch? Do you have a hideout full of buccaneers that need to ride in style? If the answer to either of those questions is a resounding “Aye!,” then this here might be the vessel for you,” writes msn. “The “Gypsy Rose” is a 1998 Ford bus that’s been completely transformed into a rolling pirate-themed party barge, and it’s up for sale right now on Craigslist in Pittsburgh.

Pittsburgh? Who knew?

In its previous life, the bus was used by a tour company as a colorful transport for winery and brewery tours, corporate team building outings and even weddings, they report.

“Some of the experiences included costumed actors and actresses that played out skits in the aisles, capped off with an appearance from the lead character, the infamous Cap’n McKraken.”

It’s all yours for $50,000. The bus is 39-feet long and holds 26 passengers and is fueled by a 5.9-liter Cummins diesel engine with 104,835 miles on it. It also has a custom sound system with USB and auxiliary inputs.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

On 5/22/2020 at 7:36 PM, Gorth said:

I'm not too worried about AI being able to copy patterns... I'm more worried when it gets creative and nobody sees what's coming before it's too late.

am recalling an ai oddity from a couple years ago... could google if we were intrigued enough to do so. regardless, had two ai set to communicate with each other and the ai kinda sponatneous developed their own language and shorthand such that researchers couldn't follow what were being communicated. the ai were promptly shut down.

were a facebook experiment o' all things.

HA! Good Fun!

• Thanks 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I've been thinking about time. This has, obviously, been pondered by people much smarter than I am for thousands of years, but I purposely have avoided literature and videos on the subject so that I could form my own conclusions.

Here's my theory: We commonly divide time into past, present, and future. Of the 3, only the past is real, the present and the future do not exist, they are abstracts.

Explaining why the future doesn't exist seems the easier of the two. It's pretty simple, the future hasn't happened (yet). It is at best a prediction, a guess. Even if the prediction is 100% accurate, at the instant said prediction comes true it is no longer the future. Hence, the future doesn't exist.

The present is a bit trickier, but it also doesn't exist. You can never experience the present. Everything you see, hear, smell, and feel has already happened, it is the past. We understand that when we look at a distant star in the sky we are seeing it as it was many many years ago, on account of the fact that it takes light a long time to get from said star to our eyeballs on Earth. It works the same way over short distances too. The time elapsed may be minuscule, but it's greater than zero. If I touch an object, it takes time for a signal to be sent from my fingertips to my brain. It's a microscopic amount of time, but it's greater than zero.

Also, you cannot define the present as an amount of time. You can define the past, you can say something started exactly 2 days ago and lasted 1 hour and 15 minutes. You can also say that about the future, but this is not something real, it is a prediction of something that might happen. You cannot define "now" in any unit of time. "Now" is infinitely small, a singularity of sorts, and in scientific terms a singularity is nonsense. It's what you get when math and science fall apart and a clear indicator that current theories are wrong or incomplete.

Only the past exists. You can only ever experience the past and since perception is reality then the only reality is the past.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

2 hours ago, Keyrock said:

Only the past exists. You can only ever experience the past and since perception is reality then the only reality is the past.

Einstein disagrees... you'll need to do some time/space shifting to argue the point with him though

(it's a 5 minute video, but very interesting if subjects like time interests you)

https://www.bbc.com/reel/video/p038cfb4/watch-this-video-to-understand-the-biggest-idea-in-physics

Edit: more about the subject (and probably more on point for your post)

https://www.bbc.com/reel/playlist/the-big-questions?vpid=p04s223j

• Thanks 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I enjoy all manner of theoretical science and philosophical and scientific thought experiments, even stuff I could never hope to understand, like quantum mechanics, though I'm hardly alone in that.

"I think I can safely say that nobody understands quantum mechanics." - Richard Feynman

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 3

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Mostly @Guard Dog 😄

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

On 5/26/2020 at 6:04 PM, Malcador said:

-video-

Was an interesting watch, although I am sure it's biased in some way I do not know about (was reading a r/history discussion on it and noticing who likes it versus who dislikes it gives me that suspicion).  The Yugoslav conflict is the next thing I plan to learn about so any other material suggested would be welcome.

• Thanks 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP