Weird - Random - Interesting

Amentep

I've read that people in america are now killing regular bees, because they think they are "murder Hornets".

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Not quite, nobody is dumb enough to mistake one of those hornets for a bee. They're trying to do things like poison the hornets, but there are so many more 'normal' wasps and bees than the 2(!) confirmed murder hornets in Washington State that they are, of course, ending up poisoning pretty much anything else instead.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Lexx said:

I've read that people in america are now killing regular bees, because they think they are "murder Hornets".

That made me think of the scene from The Holy Grail (Monty Python), where the peasants wants to burn "a witch", despite having no clue how identify a witch.

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

"She turned me into a newt!"

"A newt?"

"..."

"...I got better..."

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

BordedPanda - Ikea quarantine  campaign on furniture to Fort Tents

If you’re quarantining with kids who are becoming increasingly bored, IKEA Russia has your back. The retailer has just released a new campaign, bringing back childhood adventures indoors.

Created by an agency called Instinct, the campaign consists of a set of instructions on how to build tents, castles, forts, and other cool structures to help you get through the pandemic.

Some people are already using them, and posting pictures of their play home with the hashtag #явдомикеикеа (which roughly translates to “I’m in an IKEA house”).

ikea-quarantine-campaign-furniture-to-fo

ikea-quarantine-campaign-furniture-to-fo

• Haha 2

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

One I always find myself resharing when I stumble across it online...

This is what Arnold Schwarzenegger looked like as he was standing in between Wilt Chamberlain and Andre the Giant in 1983 on the set of Conan the Destroyer.

96540343_3130919683597737_91358438374726

• Like 3

The Dunning-Kruger effect. If I had my way, people should pass a written exam in this before being allowed to post on social media 😛

https://www.bbc.com/reel/video/p08d53s8/the-importance-of-knowing-you-might-be-wrong

• Like 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

11 hours ago, Gorth said:

The Dunning-Kruger effect. If I had my way, people should pass a written exam in this before being allowed to post on social media 😛

Is there such a thing as a written exam to demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect? I think one would need to honestly rate one's own effectiveness first, in order to find out if you have it.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

AtlasObsucra - Krupaj Spring

Maja_Stosic_-_Krupajsko_vrelo.jpg

Krupajsko_vrelo.jpg

Krupajsko_vrelo,_%C5%BDagubica_01.jpg

Legend says the Homolje Mountains swallowed a large amount of gold and hid it in the Golden Cave deep under the Krupaj Spring, where the treasure is guarded by the aquatic spirit of Tartor. Each year, on the “devils day,” the spirit hits the drums and calls other spirits to a celebration.

Only on that day is the entrance to the mystical cave open. Vlach women who want great power enter the river at night to meet the spirit. In return, the spirit demands a prize, usually a beautiful young woman. 

The spring is not only a source of Vlach myths and legends. It’s also an ecological oasis. The hypnotizing turquoise water is surrounded by plants, their branches descending into the cold water like the arms of great forest guardians.

Above the lake rises a picturesque cave, fulfilling the fairy tale-like backdrop. Underneath the lake is a maze of underground canals, which are challenging even for the most experienced divers.

• Like 4

Probably nothing new, but Belgrade has an interesting history

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belgrade

It was conquered by the Romans under the reign of Augustus and awarded Roman city rights in the mid-2nd century.[10] It was settled by the Slavs in the 520s, and changed hands several times between the Byzantine Empire, the Frankish Empire, the Bulgarian Empire, and the Kingdom of Hungary before it became the seat of the Serbian king Stefan Dragutin in 1284. In 1521, Belgrade was conquered by the Ottoman Empire and became the seat of the Sanjak of Smederevo.[11] It frequently passed from Ottoman to Habsburg rule, which saw the destruction of most of the city during the Austro-Ottoman wars. Belgrade was again named the capital of Serbia in 1841. Northern Belgrade remained the southernmost Habsburg post until 1918, when it was attached to the city, due to former Austro-Hungarian territories becoming the part of the new Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes after World War I. In a fatally strategic position, the city has been battled over in 115 wars and razed 44 times.[12] 

Edited by Malcador
  • Thanks 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Happy Birthday to our buddies Pac Man, Inky, Blinky, Pinky, & Clyde. They are 40 years old today!

image.png.323e4e2def727805d2f6c966e2e3a556.png

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

As I always say, never take Romeo and Juliet as a romantic ideal for a relationship, aim for Gomez and Morticia for romance and family values...

98332185_247313980040192_399616028800398