Weird - Random - Interesting

Amentep

49 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

There isn't a time period in the past that you can reasonably argue was better.

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

"I Wonder What's Inside Your Butthole" is the song of the summer

"For all its despairing, apocalyptic faults, 2020's been a pretty good year for music—we’ve heard killer albums from Fiona Apple, Pearl Jam, and Kesha, not to mention all the good tunes we’ve chronicled in A-Sides. That said, 2020's musical legacy might belong not to the hitmakers, but to their children.

First, the 4-year old daughter of English songwriter Tom Rosenthal gutted us with a tune about doomed, lovestruck dinosaurs, and now Jolee, the daughter of Lisa Rieffel, a member of L.A.’s H. Kink, is here with a song that, while much lighter in tone, is every bit as imaginative. It’s called “I Wonder What’s Inside Your Butthole,” and it is perfect."

Cops in Lethbridge Canada take down a woman in a stormtrooper costume for holding a toy blaster: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/stormtrooper-trying-get-customers-attention-taken-down-officers-canada-n1201696

She was advertising for a sci-fi themed restaurant. Sounds like the roughed her up a little to. Good thing is was Canada. In the US they would have beaten the absolute f--k out of her, as well as anyone who witnessed it after confiscating and smashing their phones. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

1 hour ago, Guard Dog said:

Cops in Lethbridge Canada take down a woman in a stormtrooper costume for holding a toy blaster: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/stormtrooper-trying-get-customers-attention-taken-down-officers-canada-n1201696

She was advertising for a sci-fi themed restaurant. Sounds like the roughed her up a little to. Good thing is was Canada. In the US they would have beaten the absolute f--k out of her, as well as anyone who witnessed it after confiscating and smashing their phones. 

Mother****ing retards. Not only the cops, but the people that called the cops on her. How utterly mother****ing clueless can you be?

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Dunno if they are clueless. Watched the video and to me it looks like they (police) wanted this to happen. Ofc they didn't want to be recorded, though.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

2 hours ago, Lexx said:

Dunno if they are clueless. Watched the video and to me it looks like they (police) wanted this to happen. Ofc they didn't want to be recorded, though.

I'm talking about the people that called the cops.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Cops. Give someone authority over their fellow humans, a gun, and the sanction to use it and you create monsters. It takes a tremendous amount of self discipline and character to use that with restraint and apply it even handedly. Unfortunately those are not traits sought when police departments are interviewing candidates. 

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Most police departments that I am aware of have rigorous screening processes to screen out hotheads or people who want a license to be a thug.

The bigger problem (IMO) with police is the increasing fetishistic militarization going on in police departments combined with the traditional institutionalizing that the workforce endures (and also creates and fosters in itself in some cases) that develops an "us vs them" perception of police work.  This is furthered by the fact that most police don't live where they police, which helps to dehumanize the population where they do police.  And indeed it is also furthered by the fact that the collective common sense of humanity is lower than ever, as are critical thinking skills, which combine to make bad judgement de rigueur instead of anomalistic.

• Like 3

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

34 minutes ago, Amentep said:

Most police departments that I am aware of have rigorous screening processes to screen out hotheads or people who want a license to be a thug.

The bigger problem (IMO) with police is the increasing fetishistic militarization going on in police departments combined with the traditional institutionalizing that the workforce endures (and also creates and fosters in itself in some cases) that develops an "us vs them" perception of police work.  This is furthered by the fact that most police don't live where they police, which helps to dehumanize the population where they do police.  And indeed it is also furthered by the fact that the collective common sense of humanity is lower than ever, as are critical thinking skills, which combine to make bad judgement de rigueur instead of anomalistic.

So in other words they are not monsters when they start but are turned into them over time. I could buy that. The saying "Power corrupts" has been around for a long time. But I think it's more likely that power attracts the corruptible. 

Thomas Sowell

1 hour ago, Guard Dog said:

So in other words they are not monsters when they start but are turned into them over time. I could buy that. The saying "Power corrupts" has been around for a long time. But I think it's more likely that power attracts the corruptible. 

I attended a pretty interesting community/police training seminar a few years back. It was pretty clear to me by the end that the training is the problem in law enforcement. The officers are just regular people. It isn't that they aren't trained enough, they put in a ton of hours, it is the heavy focus on the militarization aspect and little on the community service aspect. It definitely helps that in my specific community, most of the officers live where they work, contrary to the norm that Amentep mentioned.

19 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

Cops in Canada would have likely beaten her up as well, our soldatos in blue aren't that much better than the US.  And it is Alberta, people there forget what country they are in.  I guess it can be hard to train officers to use their brain a bit and assess a situation. 

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

1 hour ago, Hurlshot said:

I attended a pretty interesting community/police training seminar a few years back. It was pretty clear to me by the end that the training is the problem in law enforcement. The officers are just regular people. It isn't that they aren't trained enough, they put in a ton of hours, it is the heavy focus on the militarization aspect and little on the community service aspect. It definitely helps that in my specific community, most of the officers live where they work, contrary to the norm that Amentep mentioned.

There's no militarization of police around these parts. Plenty of cops are still little more than state-sanctioned thugs. The only difference is that there's a judicial review if they use their guns and the bar on proportionality regarding lethal force is higher. They'll still literally beat you and your mum up for talking back to them, and then give you a fine, because that they can get away with 99% of the time.

As you say, cops are just regular people. But without being held to the highest degree of scrutiny and accountability, the shortcomings of regular people tend to come to the surface rather unpleasantly. Clannish tendencies present in everyone manifest in the "blue shield" and a misunderstood sense of loyalty, which foment an environment that allows only for two kinds of cops: thugs and enablers.

Good luck raising the standards, too.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

4 hours ago, 213374U said:

There's no militarization of police around these parts.

Isn't the Guardia Civil a literal paramilitary force, complete with fasces?

Then again just about any overseas police force is paramilitary compared to here where they still don't regularly carry guns.

1 minute ago, Zoraptor said:

Isn't the Guardia Civil a literal paramilitary force, complete with fasces?

Then again just about any overseas police force is paramilitary compared to here where they still don't regularly carry guns.

Yep. Technically it's a military force that has extensive law enforcement purview. It depends on the MoD for personnel matters because they are officially military personnel with military ranks and pay grades. Officers come out of the same academy as those of the rest of the branches of the military. It's also the largest "police" force here and they have the most exclusive capacities nationally.

Technically really is the operative word though because they lack most of the things that you'd expect a proper military outfit to have such as heavy weapons of any kind, armored vehicles, military drills and so on. They are also laughably underfunded and consistently get the short end of the stick compared to other law enforcement organizations when it comes to even basic policing equipment. A regional command asked in 2019 to have their crappy 80's-era service rifles replaced -- they were handed a bunch of vintage 1964 battle rifles normally used for parades.

Cops carrying guns here is more a tradition than something necessitated by the job if you look at violent crime figures.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

In honour of V-E Day:

• Like 3
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

3 hours ago, 213374U said:

The guy didn't really want to be in the plane in the first place. The plane obviously didn't want him there either 😂

Yeah, can laugh a bit at it since nobody died. Want to bet, the guy got a retirement gift to remember?

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

• Like 1
  • Gasp! 1
  • Sad 2

Thomas Sowell

How about a "Transformer" house?

Origami in action!

The amazing homes that build themselves

https://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-30318261

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

• Like 2