kanisatha

Baldur's Gate 3?

Posted (edited)

To add more, none of what you're saying about spell usage is accurate and it indicates that either it's been a long time since you played or your simply do not want to have an honest conversation about this subject for some reason. Which is weird, since you keep replying.

But some spells in the levels you mentioned were absolutely necessary to have around, in most party compositions. Talking about BG2 and mentioning fifth level spells as if Cloudkill was the only thing that mattered and not Breach, it's simply exasperating from my end to have to read sentences like that. You're clearly not interested in having an honest discussion with omissions like that.

Edited by cokane

2 hours ago, cokane said:

Hyperbole isn't a serious argument. Try to refrain from over-doing it. Saying web was the only good second level spell just isn't true.

Again, choosing to use your limited resources as a wizard on defensive abilities is radically different game design than gifting players large hit point pools and the ability to wear fighter-equivalent armor and other gear.

2 hours ago, cokane said:

To add more, none of what you're saying about spell usage is accurate and it indicates that either it's been a long time since you played or your simply do not want to have an honest conversation about this subject for some reason. Which is weird, since you keep replying.

But some spells in the levels you mentioned were absolutely necessary to have around, in most party compositions. Talking about BG2 and mentioning fifth level spells as if Cloudkill was the only thing that mattered and not Breach, it's simply exasperating from my end to have to read sentences like that. You're clearly not interested in having an honest discussion with omissions like that.

I didn't say Web was the only good 2nd level spell. There's also Mirror Image, as I mentioned. Those two are simply in another league when compared to the likes of Scorcher and Know Alignment. In any case, the point remains that with a bit of game knowledge, mages made the best frontliners as soon as you could spam fireballs protected by your mirror image. This runs counter to your whole argument that BG/2 had such complex design and nuance in character development compared to modern games that give fighter types abilities beyond autoattack, when in reality mages were just broken, is all there is.

Breach is not strictly an offensive spell since all it does is remove combat protections, so your Fighters can autoattack mages. Which is really inefficient when you can just spam skull traps and insta-kill most of them, or disable them with Cloudkill and watch them run around like headless chicken because 1 point of damage meant automatic spell failure unless the creature was scripted to have uninterruptible casting. And then there were Liches and Rakshasas who were completely immune to all spells level 5 and under, including Breach, and could decimate any group of autoattackers without breaking a sweat. The solution was simply to keep spamming summons at them to exploit their penchant for wasting their most powerful spells on vermin, and then kill them with... Death Fog. Again, best frontliners (by proxy).

You're now saying that I don't want to have a honest debate and that things don't work the way I say, but everyone can see that I'm the only one using specific examples in this conversation, concerning the BG games and others. You, however, keep deflecting with generalities and subjective feelings. Do better.

BG2(EE) is a permanent fixture in my HD, btw.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

On 8/16/2019 at 11:46 AM, daven said:

I imagine it will be as Fallout 3 to Fallout 1/2. 

Hmm, nah, don't think so. We have still a party and Larian got good with those turnbased games. But it will have certainly more cinematics and all that, I think. Swen wants to be better with every game and I imagine he wasn't satisfied with the mostly textbased drama of the Original Sin-games. I think it will play like Original Sin, but look a bit like Dragon Age in conversations.

And to be honest,  the more I think about the game, the more hyped I get😄.

Edited by Harry Easter

4 hours ago, Harry Easter said:

Hmm, nah, don't think so. We have still a party and Larian got good with those turnbased games. But it will have certainly more cinematics and all that, I think. Swen wants to be better with every game and I imagine he wasn't satisfied with the mostly textbased drama of the Original Sin-games. I think it will play like Original Sin, but look a bit like Dragon Age in conversations.

And to be honest,  the more I think about the game, the more hyped I get😄.

I didn't mean it will be an FPS. More that it will be a drastic turn and just merely use iconic things from the previous games but in a completely new/diferent genre.

• Like 1

nowt