Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Baldur's Gate 3?

• Please log in to reply
161 replies to this topic

kanisatha

kanisatha

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 231 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Surprised nobody's yet commented on this story in these forums:

https://www.usgamer....ews-brian-fargo

https://www.rpgsite....baldur-s-gate-3

Personally, my money is on CDPR as the studio working on this, assuming such a project does exist. They recently dropped hints on what they have in line to follow Cyberpunk 2077, saying effectively that their next project is a AAA RPG not involving the Witcher franchise.

• IndiraLightfoot, Tick, InsaneCommander and 1 other like this

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2535 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Eneresting...

Very...

EEEEEneresting.

I'm intrigued! Thanks for this!
  • kanisatha likes this

Heathsunderer

Heathsunderer

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 19 posts

Can I import my character? Do I get to play as the Bhaalspawn's offspring (pls don't hate on Aerie)? So many things going through my mind right now. If it's a brand new setting then why bother naming it BG3? Hopefully it's remotely tied to the original saga at the very least.

the_dog_days

the_dog_days

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1050 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Most likely Beamdog.

• Nepenthe likes this

Heathsunderer

Heathsunderer

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 19 posts

Most likely Beamdog.

Beamdog have chimed in on the fuss saying they're not working on the supposed BG3. I for one am glad. I think they'd have bitten far more than they could chew.

https://www.pcgamesn...-larian-studios

Edited by Heathsunderer, 06 October 2018 - 12:07 PM.

• Tigranes and Wormerine like this

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2535 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Beamdog did an excellent job with the Enhanced Editions and the expansion pack though, much better than old Bioware would have anyway. Andthe way they introduced BG series to a new generation in a way that nobody else could.

I like Beamdog.

Edited by SonicMage117, 06 October 2018 - 12:29 PM.

• Nepenthe, kanisatha and peko like this

Volourn

Volourn

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 17030 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Beamdog is ****. everything they do is ****. I'm no CDPR fan, but  they'd do better with BG3 than Barfdog.

• Azdeus, daven and Salinger like this

Sarex

Sarex

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1890 posts

Beamdog did an excellent job with the Enhanced Editions and the expansion pack though, much better than old Bioware would have anyway. Andthe way they introduced BG series to a new generation in a way that nobody else could.

I like Beamdog.

Beamdog is ****. everything they do is ****. I'm no CDPR fan, but  they'd do better with BG3 than Barfdog.

What happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object? Stay tuned and find out.

• ShadySands, Mamoulian War, Lexx and 8 others like this

Sharp_one

Sharp_one

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 765 posts

I don't get it. You seem to like their Baldurs Gate series. Why wouldn't they make 3rd installment of their own franchise?

Heathsunderer

Heathsunderer

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 19 posts

I like Beamdog.

Expansion pack? You mean the mod they made and charged money for where the Forgotten Realms were turned into a re-education camp? Yeah, that was GOTY material *cough*. In all fairness though, Ed Greenwood liked it since it held true to the source material. 

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2535 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I like Beamdog.

Expansion pack? You mean the mod they made and charged money for where the Forgotten Realms were turned into a re-education camp? Yeah, that was GOTY material *cough*. In all fairness though, Ed Greenwood liked it since it held true to the source material.
Hmmmm... Surely, by your definition of a mod, the BGII expansions should have been for free to all buyers and games like Team Fortress, Blue Shift and Portal should just be free mods as well.

Beamdog is ****. everything they do is ****. I'm no CDPR fan, but they'd do better with BG3 than Barfdog.

You say that but what your reasons behind it? How exactly did they "screw" things over or is just because they made those sjw companions and everyone didn't like the fact that they are for inclusion? Which is really irrelevant to quality.

Soy.

Edited by SonicMage117, 06 October 2018 - 02:03 PM.

Tigranes

Tigranes

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 10464 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

blah blah blah blah

Beamdog probably isn't doing it anyway.

More importantly, it would be 5th edition - unless there is some massive and unexpected change of policy from WOTC. It would probably look a lot more like Pathfinder: Kingmaker than, say, The Black Hound.

Heathsunderer

Heathsunderer

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 19 posts

I like Beamdog.

Hmmmm... Surely, by your definition of a mod, the BGII expansions should have been for free to all buyers and games like Team Fortress, Blue Shift and Portal should just be free mods as well.

Beamdog is ****. everything they do is ****. I'm no CDPR fan, but they'd do better with BG3 than Barfdog.

You say that but what your reasons behind it? How exactly did they "screw" things over or is just because they made those sjw companions and everyone didn't like the fact that they are for inclusion? Which is really irrelevant to quality.

Soy.

I was talking about Siege of Dragonspear. I distinctly remember Trent Oster going on a tangent how there's a loud minority giving the game a bad wrap for including companions with unconventional lifestyles. Not only did Trent teach me and others that straight people were suddenly a minority on planet Earth, he also banned people from the Beamdog boards for not singing his praise and had his camp guards rate the game perfect on the Internet. 'Inclusion' is a poor excuse for bad writing and responding to criticism by calling people 'soyboys' or 'snowflakes' is a foolproof way to lose customers in the long run. When your characters are defined by their sexuality or their political affiliation, perhaps you are not cut out to be a writer.  

• Mamoulian War, Lexx, Abel and 1 other like this

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2535 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I understand that, but that's just the agenda now days and no matter how much we (as fans) choose not to vote with our wallets or forum complaints, that's not going to change what makes the characters but I'd have to disagree that different lifestyles or sjw agenda cripples character quality or story capacity. There's no such thing, I mean we, as straight gamers, don't like it - I don't really but I refuse to let it spoil me from enjoying a great show, movie or game with characters based around such ideals.

I didn't really like when CW switched their focus to gay/bi characters, for example but that was just my prejudicial preference, now I've grown use to the fact that the world is changing. When I was in High School, there was one gay person in a class of over 400 students. Now, in that same high school, straight folk ARE the minority and the new mainspace for identifying one's self is "gender-fluid" ajd bisexual/gay are the majority. We can't really excommunicate this generation for that though, I mean to be honest we do, alot of us (from 50's to 90's) tend to make fun of or outcast this new generation for being different but in hindsight, they've already won. The more we protest the sjw linesight within our media, the more it's going to pushback - but again, that has nothing to do with quality, nor is it any worse from what made games from before the time sjw material was forced into medial culture.

the_dog_days

the_dog_days

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1050 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

If anyone other than a small company is making it, BG3 will probably be 'as much' Baldur's Gate as Fallout 3 is Fallout.

• ShadySands, Mamoulian War, marelooke and 6 others like this

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2535 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
See, I wouldn't expect it to live up to any gamers expectations, who played it back when the first originally released. It's hard shoes to fill but even on a more extreme note, I have no doubt that even if it was executed perfectly and faithfully to the originals, we'll still find something to whine about because that's just the way it is.

Edited by SonicMage117, 06 October 2018 - 03:28 PM.

• kanisatha likes this

Wormerine

Wormerine

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2572 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Didn't bunch of key Bioware devs leave the company? Anyone know what they are up to and if still in gaming?

To be honest I have no idea who could be doing it. I doubt it's a major AAA project. 

While a D&D project would be welcome I am not too interested in actual Baldur's Gate sequel.

InsaneCommander

InsaneCommander

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1523 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Can't wait for the release and to see people asking for it to be "more like Baldur's Gate". :p

• anameforobsidian, Wormerine and SonicMage117 like this

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2535 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
It will happen lol And when they get it, they'll complain about it being a reskin/clone and un-original hehe
  • InsaneCommander and Hawke64 like this

InsaneCommander

InsaneCommander

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1523 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

People complained about Mighty Number 9. And now look at Megaman 11. :)

• Wormerine and SonicMage117 like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users