Ironman: Icewind Dale

Tigranes

Let us begin the Obsidian IWD Ironman LP, featuring the rag-tag group of Obsidianites out to save the world and bag the chicks in the frozen North. :)

Core Rules, resurrection possible, chunking means new Obsidianite joins the fray and party death means end of game. Mods are some parts of IWD Tweak Pack, Item Upgrades and Unfinished Business, which probably make it a bit easier, we will see. I skipped obvious munchkin addons.

Now introducing the party (whose respective ability scores and alignment are in no way representative of the persons caricature'd:)

Monte Carlo:

IDMain2010-08-2019-29-47-33.jpg

Strong contender for Most Buckets of Blood Spilled.

IDMain2010-08-2019-30-03-50.jpg

Volourn:

IDMain2010-08-2019-30-05-63.jpg

Sorry Volo, you never have an avatar.

IDMain2010-08-2019-30-08-51.jpg

Mkreku

IDMain2010-08-2019-30-11-53.jpg

Swedish Representation (wait, you're Swedish, right?)

IDMain2010-08-2019-30-13-03.jpg

Walsingham

IDMain2010-08-2019-30-14-86.jpg

I wish clerics could have familiars - then we could have theslug the animal companion.

Purkake

IDMain2010-08-2019-30-18-18.jpg

I hope pure thieves aren't completely useless in IWD.

IDMain2010-08-2019-30-19-83.jpg

• Like 1

Ten images per post? Are you kidding me? :)

Llyranor

IDMain2010-08-2019-30-21-76.jpg

The brains of the party.

IDMain2010-08-2019-30-24-03.jpg

The party begins their adventure. Great care has been made to colour-code everyone for easy recognition - it saves lives!

IDMain2010-08-2019-30-27-12.jpg

I'll look into making screens better, not sure what size can avoid the forum's autothumbnailing...

you cheated on the ability scores' rolls! I never had the patience to re-roll 'til I'd get all 16-18's

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Damn, keyboard scrolling won't work, and with my dualscreen set up mouse scrolling left won't work - windowed or full. Anyone got a clue? Hopefully I can work this out.

I lol'd like a t***. Gnome? :):shifty:

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

The rolls are a result of about 20-30 rerolls, years of replays means it only takes me a fraction of a second to see whether a roll is good. I guess it would have been funnier to have more dump stats, but it is Ironman and I fully intend to munchkin. Anyway, I need to disable my second monitor to get scrolling working, but I'll do it for you all, my lovely, lovely Obsidianites. Let me know what you'd like for screens - I tested, but even as small as 640x480 they get thumbnail'd, and it's really hard to read the text at any smaller than 800x600. Or maybe I can play at a lower resolution, so I can get small pictures & big text? Anyway, onto it.

Now we might have munchkin stats but at level 1 we're all a sad bunch of losers. Llyranor has 4 bloody hp, meaning he could be killed if an effeminate goblin playfully slapped him in the cheek. So first stop is Pomab's Emporium to get equipment.

Volourn begins his quest by smiting the ugly and stupid.

IDMain2010-08-2019-48-36-45.jpg

Having spend literally our last penny on basic equipment, we are surely well qualified to solve the village's troubles...

IDMain2010-08-2019-57-49-05.jpg

Actually, our first opponent cops it in about half a second: Ranged Attack Squad is as useful as ever in early level IE.

IDMain2010-08-2019-58-19-65.jpg

Thus emboldened, we set out for our first real quest, to track down the missing caravan. A little boy alerts us to goblins ahead. Purkake volunteers to scout ahead, but it takes him about half a minute to hide himself. We assume that he was trying to disguise himself as pink foliage, and we all know botany is not something that can be rushed.

IDMain2010-08-2100-04-50-00.jpg

It's not all in vain, however, as he is able to direct Llyranor's sleep spell... which has a shorter AOE than I thought, and gets only half the goblins. I can tell we're off to a wonderful start with this bunch.

IDMain2010-08-2100-05-16-57.jpg

Nevertheless, the goblins are easily disposed of, and then the three wolves here, and we still haven't taken any damage. Still cautious, Purkake once again takes 30 and decides to sneak ahead into the caves.

IDMain2010-08-2100-09-19-59.jpg

He sees orcs...

IDMain2010-08-2100-10-07-34.jpg

...and backstabs, and succeeds! Maybe he's not so useless after all!

IDMain2010-08-2100-10-17-79.jpg

Of course, the only thing that would die from 6 points of damage is Llyranor.

IDMain2010-08-2100-10-24-27.jpg

Purkake tries again and finds a room full of Orcs: however, he decides to then get caught in the middle of them. A judicious use of the Command spell neutralises the mage, though, and we get through them alright.

IDMain2010-08-2100-13-23-22.jpg

• Like 1

If trolls had been a playable race, would you have included me? :*

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

He's starting to get the hang of this sneaking business.

IDMain2010-08-2100-16-00-17.jpg

The orcs were generally little trouble, but our entire party has less HP than a single troll, so we're pretty nutsed by this point. Thankfully, Wals can heal, and Volo can lay hands... on himself. I guess that will happen just about every day for the rest of the campaign.

IDMain2010-08-2100-18-14-44.jpg

And we are ready to tackle the last room with the Ogre & Orcs Party. Having used our only crowd control spell in Sleep we go up front, guys with most HP jamming the corridor. Mkreku hits out with a nice burning hands spell.

IDMain2010-08-2100-20-34-57.jpg

Volourn does not miss an opportunity to smite evil, but sadly it is even less effective than a Purkstab.

IDMain2010-08-2100-20-55-62.jpg

After a bit of frantic fleeing and Mkreku a shaved fingernail away from death, we are victorious. Monty celebrates his first fight in a tunnel with a hearty chunking of the Ogre.

IDMain2010-08-2100-21-55-99.jpg

The Obsidianites return triumphant.

IDMain2010-08-2100-25-52-67.jpg

Purkake gets the first level up: I guess thieves are so nerfed they get lower XP thresholds in return. We put all the points into Stealth. We also give him an item from the cave, a Boots of Quietness. This should increase our chance of survival by a few hundred %.

IDMain2010-08-2100-27-40-76.jpg

Volourn, being the Herald of Goodness and Justice, decides to visit the fishmonger's boy from earlier, and gives the dad some valuable lesson in a disciplined upbringing.

IDMain2010-08-2100-29-59-77.jpg

Finally we stop by the cleric and get some healing potions - we couldn't afford any before. This building looks brilliant, by the way.

IDMain2010-08-2100-32-03-22.jpg

No deaths against the Ogre wasn't bad, I thought. Next up is Kuldahar.

Hey, good going, no one died against the Ogre. But I'm willing to bet you're gonna get a few casualties in the Vale, once you enter the tombs. Also, this image size is pretty much optimum, so imho just stick with it.

"We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Should I feel honored or violated?

Honoured by the fact that you've been violated.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

I insist on bagging that stuffed cat, btw.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

fab!

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

OK, it's been several hours already and virtual D&D mkreku hasn't attacked virtual D&D Purkake yet. I am very disappointed.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!