The Weird, Random and Interesting Things That Fit Nowhere Else Thread

Blarghagh

No surgery for smokers or the obese: Policy in UK stirs debate.

Hardcore. I wonder if they will do the same for drug addicts and alcoholics? Since these people will not be eligible for services then naturally they should get a refund on the monies they have contributed to UHC?

Fears squashed: Zucchini mistaken for WWII bomb in Germany

A worried resident in Germany alerted police to what he thought was a World War II bomb in his garden. Officers rushed over — and found a particularly large zucchini.

Police were summoned to the scene in Bretten, near the southwestern city of Karlsruhe, on Thursday morning by an 81-year-old man.

They said in a statement Friday that officers determined "the object, which really did look very like a bomb" was actually a nearly 16-inch zucchini.

1509733778856.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

Florida woman charged with DUI while riding horse

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

Someone mistook that for a bomb? I have never seen a bomb in real life and I avoid zucchini a smuch as possible (horrible creature) and I knew instantly  that was no bomb. LMAO

Edited by Volourn
  • Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

The horse DUI is a somewhat common issue in rural areas. It's dangerous enough riding a horse near cars when sober, we had a guy down the street get killed last year on his horse after coming home from a party.

You can get cited on a bicycle as well.

edit: Horses weigh a ton. Literally. A Toyota Yaris is the same weight as a heavy horse.

Edited by Hurlshot

The horse DUI is a somewhat common issue in rural areas. It's dangerous enough riding a horse near cars when sober, we had a guy down the street get killed last year on his horse after coming home from a party.

You can get cited on a bicycle as well.

edit: Horses weigh a ton. Literally. A Toyota Yaris is the same weight as a heavy horse.

And on a lawnmower. It happened to country music star George Jones. 

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Comes across like a cheap schitck to me honestly. If any AI could merit citizen ship, it'd be some bodiless mind sitting deep in some massive data-center.

That said, if you are training an AI on a physical extension, I guess you want it to have equal right otherwise it might come to conclusions such as resentment. Even if the thing is totally unconscious of it's actions, it might still act out resentment over ill treatment.

Just how ****ed are we... hmmm hopefully I won't have to find out in my life time.

http://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/358640-epa-names-industry-state-officials-to-advisory-boards

The overhauled boards reflect a new policy Pruitt established earlier this week that no scientists receiving EPA grants could be on any of the EPA advisory committees, which he said would reduce conflicts of interest. Instead, Pruitt has pushed to encourage state and local government representatives and people with diverse viewpoints.

“To ensure that EPA is receiving the best independent scientific advice, I am appointing highly-qualified experts and scientists to these important committees,”

Tony Cox, the new head of the clean air committee, runs a consulting firm serving oil and chemical clients. He has published research questioning whether recent reductions in pollutants like fine particulate matter and ozone yields health benefits, which runs contrary to the EPA’s position.

Robert Phalen of the University of California, Irvine is a new science board member. He has argued that current air quality in the United States is too clean for “optimum health.”

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Woman pleads guilty to incest after marrying mother

The document indicates that Patricia Spann “had looked into” marrying her daughter and determined that she could because her name no longer appeared on Misty Spann’s birth certificate.

The DHS worker said Patricia Spann never reported that she had married her biological son in Comanche County in 2008. That marriage was annulled in 2010 after the son described it as incestuous.

French Institute believes a nuclear incident happened in eastern Europe / Russia

A cloud of radioactive pollution over Europe in recent weeks indicates that an accident has happened in a nuclear facility in Russia or Kazakhstan in the last week of September, French nuclear safety institute IRSN said on Thursday.

The IRSN ruled out an accident in a nuclear reactor, saying it was likely to be in a nuclear fuel treatment site or center for radioactive medicine. There has been no impact on human health or the environment in Europe, the IRSN said.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

http://www.gp.se/nyheter/v%C3%A4stsverige/internationell-tjuvliga-lurades-av-postnord-1.4786658

Scroll down a little bit to find the video.

A gang of criminals targeted my employer for a while by driving up close late in the evening by forcing open the trailer doors at speed, from the bonnet of a car and then jumping in and pillaging the goods. I'm not even mad, that's impressive!

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

French Institute believes a nuclear incident happened in eastern Europe / Russia

A cloud of radioactive pollution over Europe in recent weeks indicates that an accident has happened in a nuclear facility in Russia or Kazakhstan in the last week of September, French nuclear safety institute IRSN said on Thursday.

The IRSN ruled out an accident in a nuclear reactor, saying it was likely to be in a nuclear fuel treatment site or center for radioactive medicine. There has been no impact on human health or the environment in Europe, the IRSN said.

Interesting related fact: Back in 1986 the first hint the outside world had that something very wrong had happened at Chernobyl was when some workers at the Forsmark Nuclear Power Plant in Sweden came back from a smoke break and set off alarms for the radiation portal monitors meant to prevent workers from taking radiological materiel_outside_ the plant; radiological materiel from Chernobyl Reactor #4 had gotten all over the shoes of the workers. Seems apropos that in this instance the country that relies the most on nuclear power plants for its base power needs were the first to catch on to this phenomenon. 

Edited by Agiel
  • Like 1
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

From the same people who have the wild imagination that Kellyanne Conway made up the "Alternative Facts" and stole their spotlight, I suppose. I don't blame you.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

am recalling a few years ago we were seeing a job posting in oregon... or washington.  am always getting the hippy states confused.   listing were for psychiatrist applicants for state hospital(s).  mongst preferred skills were the traditional multilingual aspect, but with one odd addition: klingon.  'ccording to an article we read in the months after seeing the job posing, a not insignificant number o' mental distressed patients communicated in klingon, and only in klingon. 

am not certain why, but we felt unexpected pity for rachel dolezal. not sympathy, but pity. so utter pathetic.  

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)