The Weird, Random and Interesting Things That Fit Nowhere Else Thread

Blarghagh

I have a weird question, on the off chance that anyone on these forums is a sailor, or knows a sailor.  The question is: Do today's sailors still sing sea shanties?  If the answer is no, then why not?  I feel that if I was a sailor I would absolutely sing sea shanties.  Why wouldn't you?  Sea shanties are awesome.  If you're a sailor and you don't sing sea shanties, what are you doing with your life?  Heck, I feel tempted to sing them myself, but, as a landlubber, I feel that might be a faux pas.

Edit: Also, are there contemporary sea shanties?  Do sailors these days sing about snapchatting and milk punch rather than tavern wenches and rum?

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I have a weird question, on the off chance that anyone on these forums is a sailor, or knows a sailor.  The question is: Do today's sailors still sing sea shanties?  If the answer is no, then why not?  I feel that if I was a sailor I would absolutely sing sea shanties.  Why wouldn't you?  Sea shanties are awesome.  If you're a sailor and you don't sing sea shanties, what are you doing with your life?  Heck, I feel tempted to sing them myself, but, as a landlubber, I feel that might be a faux pas.

Edit: Also, are there contemporary sea shanties?  Do sailors these days sing about snapchatting and milk punch rather than tavern wenches and rum?

Not that I've seen or heard of

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

As a non-sailor with some passing trivia and background knowledge....

Part of the history of sea shanties was the sailors singing them as they were doing a repetitive  manual task.. Things like a group of them winding the anchor up, or such like that needed a certain amount of synchronisation. They really only came in for the age of the clipper-ships and smaller crews during the end of the 18th and through the 19th century.

The modernisation of ships with automation and mechanisation of many of the functions decreased the need for the crew to handle them in those groups and it sorted of passed away. I do believe there's a certain sense of "revival" for the talent these days, but its much more of a .. hobby / history of the craft thing rather than a practical part and parcel of sailing.

• Like 3

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

We did that. Had a little ditty for most everything in boot camp. It really did help and keep us in synch. Didn't have much of a place for it afterwards though.

I also asked a couple of Navy buddies about sea shanties and they said not really.

I don't really know anyone who sails recreationally.

Free games updated 3/4/21

In boot camp, they taught us the song and made us sing "Anchors Aweigh" while marching to and from various locations. :lol: But never in the real fleet did we sing.

Anchors Aweigh, my boys,

Anchors Aweigh.

The Navy is not what it once was. It used to be sea shanties, keel-hauling and fighting pirates. Now it's this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSMxnpecSZM

:lol: 

In actuality it's a pretty businesslike thing now. They don't screw around much from what I saw of them. 

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Unless you're 7th fleet :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Japanese zoo mourns anime-loving celebrity penguin.

A celebrity penguin, which made international headlines after forming an attachment to a cardboard cut-out in a Japanese zoo, has died at the age of 21.

He was a brother from another mother. F

Edited by kirottu

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/news/article.cfm?c_id=6&objectid=11933358

Bit of an extreme solution to nagging, but alright.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/wpa2-security-flaw-lets-hackers-attack-almost-any-wifi-device/

Did find this a bit funny

In practice, some complications arise when executing the attack.First, not all Wi-Fi clients properly implement the state machine. In particular, Windows and iOS do not accept retransmissions of message 3 (see Table 1 column 2). This violates the 802.11 standard. As a result, these implementations are not vulnerable to our key reinstallation attack against the 4-way handshake.

Mind you, Windows and iOS aren't safe.

Edited by Malcador